Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-07-2016, 6:17 AM Reply   
What is the recommended music management site for use with both Iphone and Android for multiple users? I have 3 kids plus the wife and I and would like a simple service that would allow everyone to buy music and manage their own private playlists. IE: Oldest son vs baby daughter scenario. Constant streaming is unsustainable. We have a wide variety of devises as well.
I hate Itunes, the cloud sharing thing makes me dizzy. What can I expect as per cost? Pay a monthly AND buy music? or just buy music with no monthly? Do I even need a service or can I use a windows file? Be patient Im old and out of touch.. Have to check the myfacepage
Thank you.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-07-2016, 6:55 AM Reply   
Years ago I used a program called Imesh, it was a subscription based service that required you to sync devices monthly or you lost access to your media.... I would pay my $7 or whatever it was a month, and then at night run my library of (new) music through a program called Tunebite (I think it was bought out and rebranded though). I'm sure there are tons of other things like Imesh - spotify seems like the new big dog, not sure how tunebite would work with something web-based though. Either way, I had access to my account on my desktop or laptop (so your whole family probably would have access) .... the only hassle was having to nightly / weekly / monthly run your new music through tunebite.

Tunebite did what is/was the equivalent to holding a microphone to the radio to get a song you hear. It would digitally re-record your DRM protected song, the new copy now was DRM free. I could delete the Imesh version, have my protection free version and was good to go leaving an ipod or something in the boat without having to worry that I would lose all my music if I didn't sync it that month.

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 04-07-2016 at 6:58 AM.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-07-2016, 7:48 AM Reply   
Its a bummer you don't like iTunes because it does exactly what you want for free or for real cheap. I think spotify will do some of this for you, but not everything you want. You could purchase a NAS that has a cloud and try it that way, but that you have to hold all the music.

Similar to this: https://originwww.synology.com/en-us/dsm/6.0/multimedia
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-07-2016, 8:29 AM Reply   
My issue with itunes is that its cumbersome and as i only use it a few times a year I have to re learn it. You have to admit the navigation is not exactly intuitive unless you eat and breath Apple stuff. Then there is the issue of having 97 friggn passwords. To make matters worse my wife somehow set all 3 kids I cloud accounts up as shared (??) I dunno, never had an iphone. Im an android guy. It was awful as they were getting each others texts etc etc. I really dont know the status or outcome of that little dust up. The kids say they cant use Itunes because they will automatically get each others music and that situation is mucho no bueno. I have my own Itunes account for my Ipod all to my onesies but everybody including me is tired of Dads playlist. Also as my new head unit is blue tooth i want to use my phone, can I use an android on Itunes? I never tried.
Sorry for being so old and useless.
John
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       04-07-2016, 10:58 AM Reply   
Spotify. It's $10 a month but I think there is a family subscription. Runs on iPhone, android, pc, Mac even Win mobile. You can create custom playlists and select which playlists are available offline. Offline playlists are stored locally so those aren't streaming when you listen and will play without a cell phone signal. Playlists sync across devices. Spotify pretty much nailed it. You can even import music that you own into it. Easy to do on desktop and android phones. Requires you to jump through hoops on an iPhone but still relatively simple.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-07-2016, 12:46 PM Reply   
I love the apple music family plan. I know you hate itunes, but if you used it for a couple of days you will see it is easy. Its $15 for the plan and you can listen to basically everything that has ever been recorded. You can download music and keep it on your phone to listen to it while not using data. And it integrates perfectly with itunes, so the stuff you downloaded shows up in your regular itunes library. Each family member has their own library and whatever they do only effects their phone. The recommendations are unique to each account also. And if you have a newer iphone you dont need to worry about remembering passwords because you just use your thumb print and it's instant. Plus you can have control over what your kids can and cannot listen to. I believe you can now get apple music on android phones now too.

I tried it because it was free for 3 months and I got hooked. I cant imagine not having instant access to all music at my finger tips now.

i sound like I work for apple, but I dont. I used to buy a ton of music and I drive/listen to music a lot, so this has been awesome for me
Old     (H20Baby07)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-07-2016, 2:01 PM Reply   
Spotify!!! It's simply the best!!
Old     (luke22885)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-07-2016, 2:08 PM Reply   
Spotify is awesome. When at work I stream stations just like I would with Pandora then if a song come on that I like, I add it to a playlist. As stated you can then make whatever playlists you want to be available offline which is great for me because I dont get the best phone service where I boat and I am not using up a ton of data.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-07-2016, 4:56 PM Reply   
Mitch - I did not want to sound like the fan boy that I am. I have been an apple guy since the beginning of the company and have had pretty much all of their product over 20+ years. I have found iTunes does everything and more. I have a personal collection of music that is over 2.5TB that I collected over 20 years. I never touch it. I have develop so many cool playlist at it is always there on my phone that I just never touch the other stuff

Besides the feature to turn off the curse words is awesome for the family. my kids love rap music but I hate all the bad language, iTunes removes it all for me. than when I am out of there range I can just turn mine back on.

I have used spotify and it works well, but found with the new iTunes it is just super convenient