Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-06-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
Question/Poll: Do you folks run fresh water through your engine(fake a lake) after riding at the delta?

I had 2 of my buddies who live in Disco(on the water) over last night - 1 avid skier(2 nautiques 196 & 211 on his dock) and another rider(mali 23 lsv) and both mentioned to me that they have never run fresh water through their boats. They consider that water to be fresh - so no need. I have always run mine as soon as I get home from the Delta - kind of a habit I guess - since I grew up in Foster City skiing and riding in that salt - so got used to always hooking up my fake a lake for a few minutes.
Old     (03suprassv)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-06-2009, 8:46 AM Reply   
I am not a delta boat owner but I run my boat on a lake so it is fresh water but I still flush my boat everytime. Its a good habit. Could clean out any debris that gets past the strainer if you have one. I have a supra.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-06-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
I leave the Delta water in my boat for it's antibiotic properties. Seriously though, I've never ran a fake-a-lake after Delta use. Probably not a bad idea.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-06-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
My 2000 BU lives on a dock at Disco. Outside of a couple of Shasta trips, it has never had anything to drink but delta water.

No issues with the motor, but I did give up on heaters since they were failing in 1 to 2 years. I think its because the heater never drains without the bumpy/hilly trailer ride home.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-06-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
Never though I used to run fresh water into the hull/bilge afterwards.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-06-2009, 10:28 AM Reply   
Nope never. Just a good wipe down.
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-06-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
I ride on the delta all of the time and I have never used a fake-a-lake after pulling the boat out of the water. I've had my current boat for 8 years with no problems. I agree on the heater though. Darn coils keep splitting and leaking after a year or two. I bypassed my current heater and haven't replaced it in the past two years, nor do I have any plans to.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-06-2009, 10:53 AM Reply   
Never.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-06-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
Same here. I am not interested in replacing a heater that gets used a few times a year for $250 every two years. No more heaters for me.
Old     (deltabri)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-06-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
Just wipe the delta swooge off the boat, and call it a day.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-06-2009, 10:57 AM Reply   
Looks like most dont - maybe I can eliminate that last step from my routine??
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-06-2009, 11:04 AM Reply   
Never, but my carpet has never been the same after being a regular on the delta. I wish I had a fake a lake for my carpet.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-06-2009, 11:51 AM Reply   
the delta is "fresh" water until you get out to antioch or so...unless they build the peripheral canal to send more water to LA/farms down south, as far as the heaters...contact heatercraft and complain...they have fixed the problem of the cheap leaking cores.
Old    Ben Kerran            02-06-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
Never, just wipe it down and go
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-06-2009, 4:44 PM Reply   
I think clean lake water is gonna rust up stuff just the same as dirty delta water. One may just be a little browner to begin with.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-06-2009, 5:17 PM Reply   
We always leave the healing cleansing waters of the Delta in our boat. 500 hours a year and never a problem.
Old     (wayz)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-10-2009, 3:09 PM Reply   
Wassup Migs. Nope I never have. Just a good wash and wipe down. Are you still riding in the cold? Hollar back
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-10-2009, 11:33 PM Reply   
<- french canadian kid from montreal here.

excuse my ignorance but WTF is so special about the delta?

thanks!
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-10-2009, 11:53 PM Reply   
pete....hahahaha what a great question. I so rarely ride the delta but I am curious to hear what the regulars who ride the delta say. I will be curious to see if any of them say the scenery is the reason the delta is so good, or the crystal clear water.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-11-2009, 1:10 AM Reply   
rick, judging by the replies in the thread, I'm guessing the water isn't all that great? then again I could be wrong...it's 4:10 am and it's freezing here.
moreee info on the famous delta!
Old     (marknjenn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-11-2009, 6:05 AM Reply   
Just make sure you take a nice hot shower when you get home! The channels and size are what make it so nice.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-11-2009, 7:46 AM Reply   
Waylon - sup man! Nope havent been at the delta since Dec 18th when I left for the PI. Hopefully end of feb or early march well be riding again. Hittin the snow right now as much as possible. Ill let you know when i head out there again.

Out of all my boys - and everyone on this thread - im the only one who flushes my boat after riding at the delta. Not sure if ill stop completely or just do it now once in a while. Thanks for the responses.

Yeah - the delta sucks man - horrible, dirty and white caps all the time. Dont bother comin down - even if people tell you there is glass everywhere - its just hype - but truthfully your lake is most definately wayyyyy better - so dont even risk checking it out once - you might even hit a log and mess up your prop and shaft - theres debris everywhere.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       02-11-2009, 9:48 AM Reply   
Delta is also cold and full of piranhas and flesh eating organisms. Not sure about the boat but I fake a lake myself after getting a mouthful of that stuff....see how nasty it is in this pic?? Tubing and wakesurfing only....

Upload
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-11-2009, 11:35 AM Reply   
btw I hope you guys didn't take my comments the wrong way!! I had never seen pics of the delta. looks pretty sweet. good job on trying to keep to spot for locals only though
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-11-2009, 11:40 AM Reply   
It looks like that everyday with 100's of miles of water. Totally insane.
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-11-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
pete,

The delta is great but it has nothing to do with the scenery or how clean the water is. It is great because you can find great riding water at just about any time because it is a bunch of channels and sloughs.

It can be dangerous though also if people don't know the areas because there are a bunch of blind corners. There are usually a couple of crashes a summer that claim the lives of boaters. But the majority of the time you can find great water.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-11-2009, 2:14 PM Reply   
This picture was taken on the Delta on a holiday weekend on a busy stretch of water known for wakeboarding. I know it was either Memorial Weekend or Labor Day weekend at noon.

Any questions?

Upload
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-11-2009, 3:05 PM Reply   
yeah i wish the delta was still a hidden jem... not anymore, the water is dirty but just dont drink it.. the one thing that irritates me is the out of towners that act like they are locals near disco... drives me nuts.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-11-2009, 8:25 PM Reply   
i gotta ask my parents to find the old pics of us on the D. i was born and raised on the D. and have never looked back. i learned how to kneeboard off "suicide" beach over 25 years ago behind my pops tahiti. we used to have an old day shack up by holland and i have found memories of chillin with pops and his boyz on the bleachers at orwood as they chucked pop top buwieser cans at tools who couldnt back down the ramp. man the good old days. s--t my girlfriends grandparents have had there slip at bethal since it first existed. i might not live there any more but i think i did my time and my family is still doing thiers! so im with yah michael.

P.S. the delta sucks, it will ruin your boat and i think its going to be closed this year to all boats!!!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-11-2009, 8:44 PM Reply   
too bad orwood got rid of those bleachers, now you have to watch from the bar.

Upload
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-11-2009, 9:36 PM Reply   
Don't need to worry about much unless you get down into brackish (salt/fresh mix) water.

Ride away!
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-11-2009, 10:09 PM Reply   
ahaha bryan i might not be as old as you but reading your post makes me lauph, i remember thosse days.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-11-2009, 10:56 PM Reply   
allright allright that's some pretty epic butter.