Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (flight007)      Join Date: Mar 2016       11-24-2016, 9:59 PM Reply   
Im looking at purchasing a 2007 wakeboard boat. It is clean exterior and interior look great. It's pretty much what I've been looking for but it has 700 hours on the engine. The boat is around 30 grand which I think is a really good deal for what I am getting. Just wondering what you think about the hours?
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-24-2016, 11:33 PM Reply   
We are gonna have to know the make and model before anyone can give you any real advice on if it's worth it or not. I'm no expert, but a nine year old boat with less than 100 hours a year, if properly maintained, is nothing to shy away from. It just depends on what it is and what you want to do with it.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-24-2016, 11:49 PM Reply   
I would be much more worried about a 2007 that had 100 hours than one that had 700 hours. Mine has 600 hours and has run between 130-35 hours per season. The fluids are changed when they need to be but at least the end of every season. I think my battery is about due to change but it's ten years old so I have no complaints I know i will keep it at least another five years, and that could be fifteen. My last boat did smoke some when I gave it away but that was mostly because it was underwater for a day. (long story) It had over 3000 hours. I'm not sure exactly because after the second hour meter failed I never bothered replacing it.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       11-25-2016, 7:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by flight007 View Post
Im looking at purchasing a 2007 wakeboard boat. It is clean exterior and interior look great. It's pretty much what I've been looking for but it has 700 hours on the engine. The boat is around 30 grand which I think is a really good deal for what I am getting. Just wondering what you think about the hours?
If 100 or so of that total was verifiable as recent within 2 or less years, it speaks reliability. But a rubber coated day on the water is the way to prove that.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-25-2016, 7:29 AM Reply   
Hour averages vary by region. 700 hours on a motor is nothing. Most will easily go 2000-2500 with proper maintenance.

For us here in Minnesota average hours are 50 per year. Go south and its 75-100. That boat is 10 model year old so even here with low yearly hours that would be 500 on the average. So honestly I don't even know that I would really consider 700 hours high on a 2007. More on the high side of average.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-25-2016, 10:35 AM Reply   
If everything else checks out I wouldn't really worry about 700 hours on the boat. I personally find that hours on our style boats is unrealistic. You see so many boats that are a 4-5 years old and barely have 100-200 hours on them because these people that bought them never really used them. I live in BC, Canada and I still average about 80-90 hours a year. I know others that do around 100. Yes, we may be the extreme compared to some others but I definitely don't feel bad about using my boat. That's why I bought it. It's kind of like the guys that buy some nice car but leave it in their garage and rarely drive it. The problem then becomes you get punished for using your boat because the next person considers it to be high hours. I've doubled the amount of hours on my boat in 2.5 years which took the previous 3 owners 5 years to do. I'll probably be around 900-1000 hours before I consider selling my boat at which time I know I'm going to hate my life with all the people that whine and complain or don't even consider looking at it because of the hours. At the same time I take care of my stuff and the boat is probably in better condition than the boat that sat on a lift all summer long without a cover on it but only has 130 hours on it. A bit of a rant I guess but it's true in our market. The only thing I have going for me at the moment is local used prices keep climbing so I may not lose too much when I do go to sell it. I see boats that are 2-3 years older than mine going for more than I paid.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-25-2016, 12:45 PM Reply   
It all boils down to :condition...lots of folks can wreck a boat in 700 hours. How many newby drivers learned how to dock it...put it on the trailer...all use has the potential to leave dings and gouges in gel and rubrail and everywhere really...the interior can be abused in short order by neglect...boat storage methods play a big role in how a 10 year old 700 hour boat looks.

I'd look at 700 hours as used more than normal...you should be able to find a 400 hour boat.
I've seen quite a few engines blow at 800 -900 hours
Old     (flight007)      Join Date: Mar 2016       11-25-2016, 5:55 PM Reply   
Thanks guys the boat is an MB V23 just an FYI 2007
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       11-25-2016, 10:19 PM Reply   
Just noticed you're in Medford. Did you happen to see the B-52 at Waterworld? Priced well and in great condition. Was looking at it for a friend and the dealer gave me a breakdown of the operating hours.....most between 0-1000 rpm.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       11-25-2016, 10:24 PM Reply   
Also sold my last boat with 680hrs. Zero problems and the compression check was within 5% of OEM. Also have a friend with a black scorpion over 1200 hours and still runs perfectly.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       11-29-2016, 7:20 PM Reply   
I just sold my 1985 Nautique 2001 with 2900 hours, still runs great. 700 Well maintained hours is nothing.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-30-2016, 1:30 PM Reply   
I've seen a malibu 247 destroyed in less than 300 due to neglect and i've been in boats with 1000 that i'd take all day long. You'll know when you see it in person the kind of care it got. If something looks off or abused don't turn a blind eye- take that into consideration. Plan on there being things that you're not going to be happy about, but decide if you're willing to live with it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-01-2016, 12:41 PM Reply   
those hours aren't bad. normal for the year