Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-27-2016, 10:56 AM Reply   
I was talking to a local trailer maintenance company about upgrading my boat trailer to electric over hydraulic rather than the standard surge brakes. Because I already have disc breaks all the way around he estimated the upgrade to be about $ 600-800 which isn't too bad in my mind. I'm ultimately looking for better stopping power. I tow quite a bit and the haul to our summer house as some very steep grades both directions. I just feel like my surge breaks wouldn't cut it in a situation where I really need to stop.

Just wondering if anyone else has done it and or experiences before and after as far as results?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-27-2016, 11:11 AM Reply   
Surge brakes work great on my trailer. Heck, they'll completely lock up in some scenarios.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-27-2016, 11:55 PM Reply   
For stuff going in and out of water, I prefer to keep it simple.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-28-2016, 4:28 AM Reply   
I don't see it as an upgrade. Surge brakes are based on feedback, apply more brake pressure when the trailer is pressing harder on the truck. An electric brake controller is something that needs adjusting.

There are a couple advantages though, being able to apply the brakes, via the controller if the trailer starts oscillating and the ability to apply the trailer brakes if sliding down a slippery boat launch.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-28-2016, 6:51 AM Reply   
Electric, IMO would be the way to go if you had some long downhills that are real steep. I tow to some places where it's real steep and the boat is constantly pushing up against the truck the weight of the boat has it constantly hard core on the brakes. To the point when u get to the bottom of the hill the trailer brakes are smoking. The hubs are cooking.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-28-2016, 8:37 AM Reply   
I'm gonna have to agree with G. I'd rather have the ability to control them. I've thought of doing it to mine but have yet to do so.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-28-2016, 8:47 AM Reply   
The trailer dude said he wouldn't recommend full electric due to it being a boat trailer. Hence electric over hydraulic. You still have all the control of how hard or not they come on. I see Ragboy did the upgrade a few years back on his older 24 VE. Seems to have loved the difference.

I'm pulling down up to 6% grades on my run to the interior here in BC. Going from almost 4100' to 134' above see level in just a few miles. If I flat landed it everywhere I went I wouldn't bother.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-28-2016, 8:57 AM Reply   
I love the concept and I'd do it but I'm not excited about paying the extra money. I saw a new Malibu that had his trailer set up that way from the factory.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-28-2016, 10:09 AM Reply   
Trayson: I agree although whatever it costs would still be cheaper than the results if I can't stop as quick when needed. Even on our regular freeways nobody likes to leave any room in between cars and if you do someone will slide in between the two of you. If I have to stop I will be using the car in front of me to help do so unfortunately.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-28-2016, 10:13 AM Reply   
Agreed. the same rationale got us from a Ridgeline to our F150 Ecoboost, and I can tell you that the couple of panic stops I've had to make in the F150 might not have been pulled off in the Ridgeline.

I say go for it. You'll get the opportunity to use a proportional brake controller and have that adjustment of braking of trailer relative to the tow rig. And getting rid of that annoying surge brake CLUNK when taking off from a stop would almost make it worth it alone!

If you take price out of the equation, I really see no downside to having a braking system that will perform better. (yeah, more can break down, but that's life)