Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-28-2011, 7:48 AM Reply   
I need opinions. I am really wanting to get my 4 year old a motorcycle this spring. I am looking at a Honda CRF 50. It comes with limiters and a throttle lock, so I can let it go as slow as I want. It also comes with training wheels.
My son has really good motor skills. He figures things out in a hurry and is pretty adventurous. He can't ride his bike without training wheels yet, but when it warms up I don't think it will take him long. He saw this bike while I was picking some stuff up for mine(alright, I wanted him to see it!) and loves it. Talks about it everyday. My wife, on the other hand is totally against it.

So my question is this. Do you think it is too early and I am pushing a little hard, or should I get it and let him grow into it?
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-28-2011, 8:07 AM Reply   
My newphew was 4, not sure what size bike, but he was fine.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-28-2011, 8:29 AM Reply   
another thought for the mechanical people here. Is it best to buy new for these types of bikes? I have been looking for them online used, and they seem to be almost as much as new ones.
Old     (dizzlestoy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-28-2011, 9:47 AM Reply   
Parks was watersking before he could walk. Now look at him..
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-28-2011, 10:26 AM Reply   
Yeah. My kid will have a backflip down by this summer damit!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-28-2011, 10:26 AM Reply   
Never too young to get your kid started. He'll be just fine.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-28-2011, 10:52 AM Reply   
Both my young sons ride. My first got his Kawa 50cc auto for his 4th birthday and was riding a 2-wheeler bike 2 months prior. Dirtbike has been passed to my now 4yr old who took it over a few weeks before 4th birthday.

I took the restrictor plate off a few hours after we got it. Thing had trouble in long grass.

My son who is 7 now is wanting a 110 to do some jumps and wheelies.

I look at it like letting the kids learn about guns, with the right safety equipment and instruction, I feel more comfortable than them messing around at a friends house and not knowing how to use it properly.

The bike has never had an issue even starting in 20 degree weather. Ocasionally spark plug change and oil, that's it. It was about $1700 new and a good investment.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-28-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
here's my 4 y/o from just 2 weekends ago. He still can't stand the bike up after a fall, but that doesn't stop him from going all out. He learned to ride it quickly, but has been riding his bike w/o training wheels for about 6 months now. I've already given him a little more throttle and put him in 2nd gear.
Attached Images

Old     (cibolasam)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-28-2011, 11:05 AM Reply   
I would recommend going up 1 size. he will grow out of that bike too quickly. A Yamaha PW80 or a TTR 90 would probably be a good fit. My 10 year old daughter just convinced me not to sell our TTR 125 big wheel because she said she could ride it, I gave her a chance and she did it and this was her first time on a clutch bike. It's a little big but by next season it will be perfect and she will be used to it....Just a thought.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-28-2011, 11:05 AM Reply   
get him on it, when i was little my mom didnt want me riding either but my dad got me on the bike anyways. i think i was about 5 when i got it and now have a yz250f.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-28-2011, 11:17 AM Reply   
If he can ride an electric and keep from crashing into walls, he's good to go. Motor skills, coordination and mostly confidence is what he needs and it sounds like he has it. Take plenty of pics!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-28-2011, 12:06 PM Reply   
Hot dam. Im excited after those pics! Snyder your boy looks bigger than 4. Man they grow up fast! I am going to start him on the 50 because his twin sister will hopefully want to ride it as well. She is a little more cautious than he is and a bigger bike may intimidate her too much. I can always sell it and get a bigger one. They both have battery powered KLX four wheelers and do great with them.

Ill go buy it tomorrow and try and get some pics up weather permiting.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-28-2011, 12:15 PM Reply   
I love the second pic. He looks a bit like Darth Vader. Good stuff. He'll be a ripper when he gets older.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-28-2011, 2:24 PM Reply   
4 too young? Guess it depends on the kid. My oldest started at 4 and my younger boy at 2 1/2. Both started on training wheels on a PW50. By 4 the youngest was on a KTM 50 at 5 he went to a KTM Pro JR. ALl this small 50's are bulletproof I would have no issues buying used as they can be picked up cheap. CRF/XR50 is most popular and can be had for around $750 all day long-
Small @ 3 years
Small @ 5 years
Zach @ 8 years
Attached Images

Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-01-2011, 6:46 AM Reply   
Love the pics of the kiddos. Looks like I need to upgrade my boys to the 110 he wants to get air. Only pic I got at work is him riding in the burbs not the dirt
Name:  PeterDirtBike2.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  78.3 KB
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-01-2011, 7:15 AM Reply   
Had my daughter on quad's @ moto's at late 3 years old. My son is a mad man an had him on a 50 Quad at 2.5. I trained them both on some private property where I did not have to worry about other riders or falling off a cliff or something. I would say it is really about the type of kid he is. If he is what you say, than the sooner the better. Just gear the heck out of them and go to a safe flat spot (not street) to learn the first few times. My kids had motorized trucks and cars at like 1-1.5 so they were already used to some speed, crashing, and turning, so it was an easy transition.

Man I wish I was taught these things when I was little instead of stupid team sports. Not against team sports, but it's great to learn this individual sports at this age.

Also taught them both wakeboarding and snowboarding at around 3. Not saying they are fully riding by themselves at that age, but getting them sideways early.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-01-2011, 1:06 PM Reply   
I'd go with the 50. A 90 is too big for any 4 y.o. IMO and might scare him. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any used Honda 50 in good shape, regardless of age. They are bulletproof, and the design is relatively unchanged for the last 40 years or so. As long as it has had oil in it and an air filter in place, the motor will probably last forever.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-01-2011, 1:16 PM Reply   
Bought my daughter a Yamaha 50 when she was 5. Feet couldn't even touch the ground. I've never been into this "paying your dues" cr@p.You're good enough,you're old enough. I agree that a 90 is too big though.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-02-2011, 7:44 AM Reply   
Well, I went and picked it up last night! I ended up going with a new carryover '09. They sat on some kx65s while we were waiting, but they were way to big. I was surprised that they could barly touch the ground on the 50. I was thinking they were taller than that when I looked at it last.

Of course they had no training wheels in stock so I ordered some. Got the bike home and of course they wanted to ride it, so I had a fun evening of running up and down my driveway holding onto the fender trying to keep them up right. Tyler will pick it up pretty quick. He was starting to get his balance. Tatum on the other hand just thought it was really funny watching me run along beside her and laughed most of the time. One thing is for sure. I need to get into better shape!

I will get some pics when I get the T. wheels. Its hard to shot and run at the same time!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-02-2011, 7:57 AM Reply   
Should have the wife take the photos, I think we would have all enjoyed the chuckle this morning.

Just like boating, the family that plays together stays together!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-02-2011, 8:19 AM Reply   
By the time I got home with it, it was dark, so that is mainly the reason I didn't.

Another question. It says max weight is 88lbs, but don't adults ride these a lot too?
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-02-2011, 10:43 AM Reply   
We all used to ride the 50.Even my 200lb buddies and it was fine.We never had training wheels either.Until I read this I didn't even know you could get them