Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-11-2015, 11:48 AM Reply   
Has anyone ever given thought that almost every state in the U.S. has a law limiting the size of loads being towed WITHOUT a wide-load permit at 8'6" (102" beam) to INCLUDE trailer guides. Most of today's wakeboats are 100"-102" (RZ4 is 104") beam and trailers with guides puts us into the 118"-120" width. I guess technically we could all get fined for just towing our boats. Like I said...just a random thought.
Old     (jstenger)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-11-2015, 12:26 PM Reply   
I don't think the guides count since they are removable. Another thing to point out is the towing mirrors on trucks. They are well past 8'6" when extended. Again, I don't think they count since they are movable.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-11-2015, 12:43 PM Reply   
from this thtread

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797918

You want 11 feet. I've got a Nautique in the years you mention. My garage is 10' (more like 9'11'' or so). My goalposts are 9'8''. It has never been fun to back it in, or, pull it forward.

The 102 inch limit is largely misunderstood. The Feds do not require the States to issue special permits for anything under 102 inches. As best as I can tell in Missouri, the state regulations really don't speak to special one-time permits until the width is 12 feet, and, the regulations have rules for widths all the way up to 16 feet. I believe I have seen wider (it looked like a section of a cracking tower for a refinery, and it was laid on three low deck trailers linked together, and was towed and pushed by semi tractors in both the front and the back, as well as was accompanied by 5 auxiliary vehicles blocking all highway ON ramps as the rig approached).

Here's a statement of the federal rule.

Re 102 inches.

WIDTH REQUIREMENTS
The maximum width limit for CMVs [Commercial Motor Vehicles, namely buses and freighters] on the NN [National Network] and reasonable access routes was originally established at 102 inches, except for Hawaii where it is 2.74 m (108 inches). (See discussion of Reasonable Access on page 12.) To standardize vehicle width on an international basis, the 102-inch width limit was interpreted to mean the same as its approximate metric equivalent, 2.6 meters (102.36 inches) (Figure 1).

Federal width limits do not apply to special mobile equipment, which consists of self-propelled vehicles not designed or used primarily for the transportation of persons or property and only incidentally moved over the highways. Special mobile equipment includes the following, when moving under their own power: military or farm equipment; instruments of husbandry; road construction or maintenance machinery; and emergency apparatus, including police and fire emergency equipment. Federal rules do not require States to issue overwidth permits before allowing operation of special mobile equipment. However, if States wish to allow other vehicles more than 102 inches wide (i.e. non-special mobile equipment) to operate on the NN [National Network], then States must issue special overwidth permits.

[Emphasis supplied.]

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/publ...egs_final_rpt/
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-11-2015, 12:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstenger View Post
I don't think the guides count since they are removable. Another thing to point out is the towing mirrors on trucks. They are well past 8'6" when extended. Again, I don't think they count since they are movable.
I think you have a point about the guide pads as in Texas states "safety equipment" not included so I would guess guide pads and extended mirrors would not count.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-11-2015, 2:04 PM Reply   
Wouldnt the mirror fall under the same logic as the guides? Also, if you are driving the truck, than its not a towed load, right?

I do know a CA boater that pulls and stows the guides before leaving the ramp for the very reason of legal load width.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-11-2015, 2:06 PM Reply   
Here's my take on the interaction of fed requirements on states vs. state response. The Fed Reg recites:

" However, if States wish to allow other vehicles more than 102 inches wide (i.e. non-special mobile equipment) to operate on the NN [National Network], then States must issue special overwidth permits."

The practice in Missouri is to only require 'special one-time permits' if the width is (ether) 12 feet (or greater, I forget the exact language now ... but more or less 12 feet).

So I would argue that, for trailers between 102 inches and 12 feet, if Missouri DMV has issued a sticker for your trailer (and all trailers must have), then the state has permitted you under the Fed Reg ... albeit not by a 'special one time permit,' but you are 'permitted' nevertheless.
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       02-13-2015, 6:19 AM Reply   
boat dealer told me that 102" was more to accomodate shipping boats to other countries. 8'6" is a non-standard 48ft container.