Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-16-2014, 9:14 PM Reply   
A friend of mine is having a few warranty issues done to his boat that's only a few months old. While at the dealer someone got into the dealership lot and stole stereo equipment out of several customer boats. The dealer contacted my friend and informed him of the thefts and said that their dealership insurance does not cover thefts involving customer boats. Does this even sound correct? I won't mention the dealership or brand but this dealer is a very reputable and one of the top dealers in this brand. He's bought 2 boats from this dealer in 2 years and I've bought 2 as well. They've always been amazing to us about anything boat or service related and get us in and out same day on anything. Just sounds weird. Thanks for any input.

Last edited by you_da_man; 11-16-2014 at 9:21 PM.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-16-2014, 9:23 PM Reply   
A friend of mine had the same issue and the dealer paid to have the equipment replaced.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-17-2014, 4:28 AM Reply   
most shops have a sign posted that they are not responsible for any gear left in the boat.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-17-2014, 5:17 AM Reply   
I would hope at the least the dealership would pay the deductible for the boat owner's insurance to replace the equipment. I am sure there is an out for the dealers to not be responsible for the millions of dollars of customers boats they keep on their lot, but a good dealer would do what they can to make it right.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-17-2014, 5:34 AM Reply   
Most have that sign that says something to the tune "not responsible for items left in your boat". But usually from a legal stand point those signs don't hold water in court. We aren't talking about a few loose items disappearing. We are talking about stuff being unbolted and having to use tools and physically uninstall items. I'd say they are and should be responsible. While they have your boat it should be their responsibility to safeguard it.

I'd say contact insurance and tell them the deal and they might even say the dealer needs to cover that or pay the claim and then go after the dealer. Just cause their is a sign posted doesn't effect your ability to go after them anyway. If I post a sign that says "lawsuits are not allowed here", doesn't stop you from suing me. Signs like that are just meant to deter people who don't know any better, they certainly aren't legal.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       11-17-2014, 6:41 AM Reply   
It definitely feels wrong when they don't cover theft on their lot. But many don't. Many have a disclaimer covering theft on their signed work order, or they may have signs posted.
Big stereos are an invitation for thieves and most fenced-in service lots are still vulnerable locations, even with cameras that don't show enough detail to be helpful.
If the dealer had ten thefts claimed on their insurance and this happens with any frequency, their rates and deductible will rise. They can't stay competitive with runaway expenses. So they expect all ten boat owners to put the theft on their own insurance.
Not sure there is a clear right and wrong here. Some dealers will cede over customer good will.
Perspectives vary depending on which side of the wallet you are on.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       11-17-2014, 10:28 AM Reply   
They should at least cover the deductible. That would be the reputable thing to do.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       11-17-2014, 2:52 PM Reply   
I have two thoughts here:

Being right and being legal are 2 different things.

Just because their insurance doesn't cover it does'nt mean they are not responsible.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-17-2014, 3:51 PM Reply   
I don't work for a dealer and thus have no dog in the fight. It's a tough deal though. Most dealers in major metro areas (where people are hip to how much coin is left in the average wake boat in regards to stereo equipment) can't cover it and also don't have the option for insurance as the insurance companies are hip to it too and won't offer coverage. Dealers are screwed either way and the customer is too. If you had 5k worth of stuff in your car, you wouldn't park in a parking garage with your windows rolled down for a week and expect the land owner to cover it when it got stolen, but that is exactly what boat owners expect. In my exp, dealers do everything possible, fences, rzr wire, cameras, etc...but at the end of the day, people suck. Kind of the same deal as marinas, they can't be held liable either. Park at your own risk sort of deal.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-17-2014, 4:28 PM Reply   
Dealers or shops are responsible to take reasonable care of things left to them to work on. The boat or car, or whatever, is there for them to profit from so the standard of car is higher than if you had left it at a friends or even just a storage yard. That said your own insurance would probably be primary in a claim of theft or vandalism and they may have some claim against the dealer or shop, or the company that installed the security for that dealer. If there was negligence on the part of the dealer or they did not meet an expected standard of care they would have liability.
I am sure this would vary some by jurisdiction.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-17-2014, 6:57 PM Reply   
I'm normally a big proponent of going the extra mile for a customer. That being said, it would be easier said than done for a dealer to insure for this type of situation. How would a dealer know what the setup was in your boat? if we're going to expect the shop to pick up the tab for the stereo, should they start charging those customers with big stereos more than a stock or small system boat because if there's a problem, the shop will be out more? I'd think if shops were being held responsible for this type of thing, you'd see a lot more of them going to appointments only, which would be a huge inconvenience for owners.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-17-2014, 7:29 PM Reply   
How much money in equipment and damage are we talking about?
Old     (Valleywine)      Join Date: Aug 2014       11-17-2014, 9:03 PM Reply   
Dealerships have "garage keepers" coverage and this type of thing would be covered. They are only trying to save claim activity so they don't get dropped if this kind of thing happens frequently. The coverage is there for any reputable dealer. If they are having issues they need to do something about it. Like if it were their own stuff. Dealer should definitely take responsibility, insurance or not.