Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-12-2014, 6:17 PM Reply   
I'm not trying to make this post about what state is better than another state but some states allow deer hunters to use deer feeders (basically baiting). How does one who uses a deer feeder call themselves a "hunter" when you've baited with deer corn for weeks or months. All you have to do is get in a cozy deer stand in your camo (why you'd wear camo inside a deer stand cracks me up) to just choose which deer to shoot. How is that hunting and what's to brag about shooting a baited animal?

My respects to those that don't bait and even more respect to those that bow hunt.
Old     (jwl019)      Join Date: Aug 2014 Location: N.E. Louisiana       09-12-2014, 7:48 PM Reply   
I don't call myself a deer hunter, more of an outdoorsman and duck hunter. I clear my deer lanes, feed corn (mainly to does, yearlings, and spikes-around 4 pts), rid the box stand of wasps and set up cameras to take pics to compare to the year prior. Come opening weekend, which first weekend we hunt is youth weekend where I take my son and sit him in the stand and hope he gets a shot on anything that walks out. Me on the other hand, I shoot 1 deer a year and prefer a 6 or better unless late in the season if I don't have any hamburger/bacon burger/link sausage/pan sausage/summer sausage then I will take a doe since eating air is not very filling. Most of the time, I do not hunt my stand to get the bucks, they skirt around the stand because they did not get big by being stupid. I have picks of them occasionally coming thru during rut at night to my lane but that is it.

I guess I am not a duck hunter either. I pay yearly dues, and hunt in a metal blind sunk into a levee over a field that the farmer has cut, disked, etc and I put out decoys to attract ducks and use a duck call. I send my trained dog to got get them so I don't have to walk thru the gumbo mud/muck to retrieve them. We even cook breakfast in the blind during the slow times. Now, not always has it been like this, I used to rough it where I walked 4 miles and waded in water for 1 mile with a dozen or two decoys and a marsh stool at a wildlife refugee but I doubt my kids could make that trip and so I don't bother to go because being with them and passing on the hunting tradition is half the fun. The hardship is what really made me like the duck hunting so much.

Well, come to think of it I am not a hunter. I guess maybe I just go out there to the deer lease for the peace and quiet and some solitude, then when I want camaraderie I go to the duck blind.

Heck, I love to camp too on the lake during the summer. I guess though that I am not a camper since I stay in a camper that has running water (even hot water), bathroom, electricity, stove, refrigerator, and even a mattress on a bed. I did however grow up tent camping until my parents got a camper. I also took my son camping in a tent up to Mena, AR to go ride the 4 wheeler trails so does that give me some street credibility, lol!!
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-12-2014, 8:24 PM Reply   
Hunting used to always be about getting food. If you didn't get that food you died. You did whatever you had to in order to get that food whether it was baiting or whatever else it took. I think that hunting quit being hunting when d-bags turned it into a "sport". Trophies and reasons to childishly show off your gun collection. On duty cops shooting "pet" deer with huge racks in residential neighborhoods with their service revolvers and then trying to sneak the head to the taxidermist before anyone noticed leaving all of the meat behind to rot (I know of at least two examples of this). I love venison and other wild game. If I hunt, it's because you can't get game meat at the grocery store. If you hunt in order to put up a trophy and brag about how you didn't bait in order to obtain said trophy then I argue that YOU are actually the poser and should look to others to find a "real hunter". Real hunters do what it takes within the law to bring home the meat for their family.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-13-2014, 4:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverRider View Post
Hunting used to always be about getting food. If you didn't get that food you died. You did whatever you had to in order to get that food whether it was baiting or whatever else it took. I think that hunting quit being hunting when d-bags turned it into a "sport". Trophies and reasons to childishly show off your gun collection. On duty cops shooting "pet" deer with huge racks in residential neighborhoods with their service revolvers and then trying to sneak the head to the taxidermist before anyone noticed leaving all of the meat behind to rot (I know of at least two examples of this). I love venison and other wild game. If I hunt, it's because you can't get game meat at the grocery store. If you hunt in order to put up a trophy and brag about how you didn't bait in order to obtain said trophy then I argue that YOU are actually the poser and should look to others to find a "real hunter". Real hunters do what it takes within the law to bring home the meat for their family.
I love venison too but its not all about the meat. Ii dont gun hunt because thats not a challenge. But killing anything with a bow is a challenge and an adrenaline rush. Three years ago i killed a coyote from 35 yards and then 10 mins later a 10 pointer walked up that i killed from roughly the same distance. Its a freaking rush that leads to future meals. Win win
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-13-2014, 5:38 AM Reply   
Baiting an animal is still hunting. It's called working smarter not harder. Do you think if a lion had the mental capacity to bait their prey and make their kills much easier that they wouldn't do it??
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-16-2014, 1:41 PM Reply   
WOW!!! was thinking, "season's right around the corner, got my cameras out, let's talk deer hunting!!" Should've pinched myself, after all this is wakeworld!!

I expected some liberal douche to be behind all this fodder. But no! its a south texas dude???

I'm not interested in discussing the merits of baiting, bow vs gun, sport vs feeding your family here. All of that is part of the enjoyment of huntingI'll go start another thread!!

BTW "baiting" is putting a feeder here (x) <-[-(|O] and hunting from over here, facing toward your feeder. Like my bow and arrow?

Supplementing the local supply with quality food (that you don't setup your stand 25 yards from) is called supplementing the local food supply. Very different!!

look for my thread hunters!!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-16-2014, 1:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter14 View Post
I love venison too but its not all about the meat. Ii dont gun hunt because thats not a challenge. But killing anything with a bow is a challenge and an adrenaline rush. Three years ago i killed a coyote from 35 yards and then 10 mins later a 10 pointer walked up that i killed from roughly the same distance. Its a freaking rush that leads to future meals. Win win
Thats awesome!! I can't imagine what you were thinking when he walked out!!

Got the thread going, looking forward to a real hunting discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl019 View Post
I don't call myself a deer hunter, more of an outdoorsman and duck hunter. I clear my deer lanes, feed corn (mainly to does, yearlings, and spikes-around 4 pts), rid the box stand of wasps and set up cameras to take pics to compare to the year prior. Come opening weekend, which first weekend we hunt is youth weekend where I take my son and sit him in the stand and hope he gets a shot on anything that walks out. Me on the other hand, I shoot 1 deer a year and prefer a 6 or better unless late in the season if I don't have any hamburger/bacon burger/link sausage/pan sausage/summer sausage then I will take a doe since eating air is not very filling. Most of the time, I do not hunt my stand to get the bucks, they skirt around the stand because they did not get big by being stupid. I have picks of them occasionally coming thru during rut at night to my lane but that is it.

I guess I am not a duck hunter either. I pay yearly dues, and hunt in a metal blind sunk into a levee over a field that the farmer has cut, disked, etc and I put out decoys to attract ducks and use a duck call. I send my trained dog to got get them so I don't have to walk thru the gumbo mud/muck to retrieve them. We even cook breakfast in the blind during the slow times. Now, not always has it been like this, I used to rough it where I walked 4 miles and waded in water for 1 mile with a dozen or two decoys and a marsh stool at a wildlife refugee but I doubt my kids could make that trip and so I don't bother to go because being with them and passing on the hunting tradition is half the fun. The hardship is what really made me like the duck hunting so much.

Well, come to think of it I am not a hunter. I guess maybe I just go out there to the deer lease for the peace and quiet and some solitude, then when I want camaraderie I go to the duck blind.

Heck, I love to camp too on the lake during the summer. I guess though that I am not a camper since I stay in a camper that has running water (even hot water), bathroom, electricity, stove, refrigerator, and even a mattress on a bed. I did however grow up tent camping until my parents got a camper. I also took my son camping in a tent up to Mena, AR to go ride the 4 wheeler trails so does that give me some street credibility, lol!!
Haha, well put. so glad you got street cred going for ya!!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-16-2014, 2:07 PM Reply   
also curious if you bags who have a problem with hunting consider shooting a bird that can fly 60 mph baiting, if flying over decoys?

BTW I don't give a **** what your response is, just thought it would make good "conversation"
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-16-2014, 6:33 PM Reply   
Do you think that it is acceptable to poison other animals that may get to this baiting feed?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-17-2014, 2:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
Do you think that it is acceptable to poison other animals that may get to this baiting feed?
you obviously have NO idea what you're talking about. Baiting is term used for feeding animals, then shooting them off there feeding area.

Nothing poisonous about it. In fact you've probably eaten a similar version of what we're putting out...
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-18-2014, 2:51 PM Reply   
I'm asking if you think it is acceptable for a hunter to purposefully poison other animals, such as opossum, raccoon's, etc. that would get to this feed as well, not that the feed itself is poisonous.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-18-2014, 3:40 PM Reply   
How do you figure that it's poisonous? There's crop fields everywhere!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-18-2014, 5:29 PM Reply   
The feed is not poisonous and was never said to be. I am asking if it others find it acceptable that the some hunters poison other animals, as in leave out poison in another form that is not the feed/bait, because they do not want these other animals such as opossum, raccoon's, etc to eat their deer feed/bait.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-19-2014, 8:28 AM Reply   
Gotcha. No poison in the wild is not okay. In my house? If they made it that far then they deserve every little pellet.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-19-2014, 8:43 AM Reply   
Never EVER heard of anyone putting poison randomly out in the wild where they hunt!! I eat what I kill so why on earth would I want poison anywhere nearby???
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       09-19-2014, 11:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
Never EVER heard of anyone putting poison randomly out in the wild where they hunt!! I eat what I kill so why on earth would I want poison anywhere nearby???
+1... I have never heard of this and would like to see documentation of people actually doing this regularly (not just a one or two idiots)