Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-07-2011, 12:49 PM Reply   
So my wife and I have decided to turn off the Dish. Our two main reasons are, lack of time and, with two litle ones in the house now, we want to control what is coming into our living room.

I am pretty certain I want to get Netflix, but beyond that what is available in free internet TV? If I go Netflix I will need a device that will handle it which I currently do not have.
Any tips or experience will be greatly appreciated!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-07-2011, 1:16 PM Reply   
There are lots of DVD players that use Netflix, but you have to use a computer to put movies in the instant watch queue.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-07-2011, 1:18 PM Reply   
Roku.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-07-2011, 1:44 PM Reply   
So the DVD player is not the best option then? What do you mean by putting movies in the queue?

Would you go Roku over Apple TV?
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       07-07-2011, 1:57 PM Reply   
I went with the Apple TV. Wanted a way to stream music to my theater speakers, and watch netflix on the TV. For $99 it does that and more, and the thing is smaller than my palm.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-07-2011, 1:58 PM Reply   
I have a Samsung DVD player that streams from Netflix. You can only access movies that are in the Netflix Instant Watch queue. And I have to use the computer to put movies in the queue. Also look for Pandora as a feature of the DVD player. It's a great free music source. Mine does Netflix,Pandora, and Youtube.

I've never used Hulu but have heard from people who like it.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-07-2011, 1:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
but you have to use a computer to put movies in the instant watch queue
My playstation and Wii both let me instant watch queue without a computer (which isn't really needed at all anyway).

+1 for Playstation.... they might be down to like $200 now and you get:
Bluray player
netflix + vudu + etc etc (all streaming services except maybe googletv)
games
apps
.... the commercials where they say "It only does everything..." are not lying. Its amazing. Best part is with Playstation media server and/or other similar free downloads you can stream you entire media library from a PC to the playstation (as long as you're on the same network - not sure if DVD players do that). So all the movies I've ripped/downloaded over the years can be pulled instantly with perfect quality to my playstation as long as that pc is on.

... and as things progress I can't see many companies NOT going with Sony / Playstation.

At school though I did the same - dropped cable, used just netflix and my PC to stream tv/movies ect.
... right now the PS3 is hooked to my projector/theater room and I also have a Wii in my room which is used like 75% just for netflix - works good just sucks that its not HD
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-07-2011, 2:06 PM Reply   
I did away with DirecTV about 4 months ago. I built a homemade HDTV antenna for around $6 and we receive about 30 channels around the Nashville, TN area. Not all channels are HD, but quite a few of the major channels are and quality is excellent on our Samsung LCD. We do NetFlix via the miniDV output on my Macbook with audio coming out of the computer headphone output to our surround sound. We can also watch Hulu or whatever else via the internet. My wife wants to DVR some of her shows this winter and we are looking into this over-the-air DVR: http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master.../dp/B0033TJPJW

In short, I don't regret it and I enjoy putting the extra $100 or so a month in our pockets for extra boat gas and cold beer.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-07-2011, 4:32 PM Reply   
I do some internet tv. It was good for watching every episode of LOST through Netflix since I hadn't seen any of it before. There are some other decent series and movies on there. I needed a new DVD player awhile back and researched and got one of the better internet ready DVD players. I like it fine. If you go that route, research which ones are the best - NOT the cheapest. Also, be careful about getting one that says it's internet ready but that then requires you do waste money on some sort of dongle to make it actually work with the internet. Get one that works with the internet out of the box. I was going to go the same route with my parents, but bought them a ROKU. I'd recommend that if you don't need a new dvd player. It's super simple. Again, don't just go the cheapest route. Just by the best one for a $100 with all the features and HD and be done with it. It works great and sets up super simple. I like the way it works better than my DVD player, which again, was rated one of the top 5.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-07-2011, 5:59 PM Reply   
I have 2 samsung blu ray players and stream netflix as well. I only have basic cable to I can watch golf on HD on the weekends. I think its great. I can't stand only watching one episode of a show at a time, it's a tease, so I don't like watching new shows. I wait for them to come out on DVD.

For all you guys who can't search using your Netflix on demand, upgrade your software. The new software is more user friendly.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-07-2011, 6:56 PM Reply   
We dropped down to just 'basic' cable a few months ago and haven't missed it one bit! We were paying 100+ a month for cable tv and now only pay 12 bucks. We get the basic news channels and 5 or 6 HD channels. This is what we did, signed up for netflix that costs 9 bucks a month, bought an HDMI cord that connects our laptop to our tv, then we did a bit of research and found out when our favorite shows would air (we used to just DVR everything) and now we watch them the following night on Hulu or on the stations website. We save about 75 a month and I don't see us ever going back.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-08-2011, 9:49 AM Reply   
I got rid of direct TV and just hooked my computer up to my plasma. I watch netflix streaming and if there is anything they don't show a quick internet search will find a copy of whatever show to stream. Though the quick internet search has gotten more difficult lately, it seems that the copyright people are finally paying attention.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-08-2011, 10:42 AM Reply   
I'd do Sony's google tv. It can access the internet like a computer as well as stream just about everything out there. It also has a built in Blu Ray player. I'd also do a High Def arial so that I would be able to watch sports.

http://discover.sonystyle.com/internettv/#/features
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-08-2011, 11:17 AM Reply   
I've been looking at media players this week for my outdoor TV, but am still trying to decide which one to go with. My TV outside is connected to my antenna in my attic, so I can get all the locals in HD. I also mirrored TV2 from my Dish Network receiver, but am considering adding a media player so I can watch Netflix if someone is using the Dish Network TV2 inside the house.

Does anyone have any info on how well these things stream over wireless N wifi? I'd prefer not to have to run CAT 5 cable to my wifi router inside the house. Also, I'm specifically looking at the small box type media players (WD Live, Roku, etc.) as opposed to a DVD player since space is limited in my TV compartment outside. Here's a pic of my set-up....
Attached Images

Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-08-2011, 11:54 AM Reply   
I would go the ps3 route if you need to purchase something to use Netflix on your tv with. You get the blu ray player plus you can use Netflix and add whatever you like to your queue. You can also grab movies out of the PSN store as well as play games. Really a do it all device.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       07-11-2011, 3:12 PM Reply   
Streaming over wireless G or N is no problem. I streamed a 1080p movie from vudu the other day with my TVs wireless card thats built in.

I have a new panasonic TV that has netflix, vudu, cinema now, and I can connect hulu + from my ipad 2 through my TV. Works flawlessly and I don't miss basic cable at all, but I will have to figure something out once NBA season rolls around, maybe a slingbox connected to my Dads NBATV account through dish.