Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-30-2014, 8:03 AM Reply   
Has anyone ever experienced problems with the long term use of lifting rings versus a cradle style lift?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-01-2014, 12:29 PM Reply   
I wouldn't expect any problem if it was made to hang from them long term. I believe Correct Craft has always made their boats to be able to hang indefinitely, others like Malibu (I think) have explicitly stated in manuals the lift rings are for brief lifting or moving and the boat should not be hung indefinitely. I've seen a few CCs hanging for primary storage and have heard of plenty, less so with other manufacturers. If in doubt try to find manufacturer documentation or call them. If the boat is more than a few years old I'd be checking for corrosion on the rods attaching the rings to the hull and also ensuring they are glassed in well. Don't hesitate to reinforce or lay more glass if in doubt. The heavier and newer the boat the less faith I'd have in the rings. Hanging seems like it used to be a lot more common way to store boats, when your typical inboard was a small light ski boat not a larger wake boat.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-01-2014, 1:31 PM Reply   
I wouldn't just because it sounds like a bad idea to me. So many creeping issues could develop while the hull hung there like a catenary, and with the top deck being crunched.

Sorry to post this old thread, but I can't find the picture I want by itself. The 5th picture down shows how my aft lifting ring is attached to the transom of my CC hull. Four bolts (forget size, but, the nuts take a 14 mm wrench) fastening a plate to the transom, which secures what I guessed at the time to be a 7/8ths in eye bolt ... the eye of which sticks out of horizontal panel of the hull and serves as the lifting ring. If I asked myself, how long would I like that arrangement carrying half the weight of my boat? ... my answer would be, not too long.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...21/693846.html
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-01-2014, 1:44 PM Reply   
And, I've read here on WW before ... someone claiming their hull warped or something for sitting too long on ill-fitting boat-lift bunks.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-02-2014, 1:50 PM Reply   
I have a 17,000# boat on lift and it needs to be in the water a few days if you are going to align the shafts.