Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-05-2012, 10:33 AM Reply   
I have a 2006 Wakesetter that I want to add two more amps to. There is currently one amp mounted (kicker zx700.5). This amp powers one 12 inch sub under the dash and all the in-boat speakers (3 pairs of speakers in the boat and 1 pair of tower speakers). The current tower speakers are the exact same as the in-boat speakers but I have ordered a pair of Wet Sounds pro 60x speakers to replace these. I already have two more kicker amps (kicker zx350.4 and zx 550.2) that I previously had in my Tahoe but since getting a new car they have been sitting in my garage unused. I would like to use the 350.4 to power the pro 60x speakers. This is my main priority for this project.

In addition, I am considering installing the zx 550.2 and two more 12 inch subs that I already have. This is not a big priority, just thought it would be nice to get some use out of the amp and subs rather then leave them sitting in my garage. The subs are the exact same as the current sub under the dash.

Lastly, I may be ordering new in-boat speakers to replace the current ones. The current speakers came in the boat when it was purchased in 2006. They are Kicker DS60 6.5 coaxial car speakers (). If I order new in boat speakers they will be Wet Sounds xs-65 (3 pair) and they would be powered by the current zx 700.5.

My main project right now is getting the zx 350.4 mounted as soon as possible so that I can power my new tower speakers when they come in on Thursday or Friday. Here are some pictures of my current set up. What recommendations do you have for mounting the amps on the hull side?
Attached Images

Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-05-2012, 10:52 AM Reply   
I would like to do something similar to this amp mounting but I don't understand exactly how it was done. http://www.hydrotunes.com/gallery/#/.../06malibu23vlx Maybe someone can give me some insight into this. Thanks
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-05-2012, 11:07 AM Reply   
The basic gist is to pull down the carpet on the hull side, and glue or glass on some stand off blocks. Then you can screw your amp rack (usually marine ply coated with fiberglass resin) into those standoffs. That's how I did it in my vride.

Note that because the rack is mounted off of the hull wall, there is space behind the rack where you can run your wires.

If I were you, I'd forget the additional subs and run the 500.2 to the pro60s and the 300.4 to two pair and the 700.5 to the other pair (bridged?).

The 700.5's ab section (which is the same as a 350.4 if memory serves) will get HOT, especially if you are running it at 2 ohms. Better to give speakers their own separate channels.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-06-2012, 7:17 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info on mounting the amp rack. I think I am going to use that same idea to do mine. From my understanding the zx 550.2 would be pushing 205 rms in both channels. Wouldn't this be over powering my pro 60x's?? I have decided to forget about adding the subs. I'm going to sell them and use the money toward wet sounds xs-65 speakers. If I bridge the 350.4 (mono) then I believe i would be getting 175 rms in two channels. I was planning to do this to power the tower speakers.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-06-2012, 7:38 AM Reply   
That's 205w only when the motor is running and the amp is getting 14.4v. Real world you will be putting out less power than that. I'd rather overpower a tad than underpower, especially when choosing between those two amps, because when you bridge the 350.4 it's going to run hot as a m-f-er. That's a recipe for thermal shutdown on a tower speaker amp that you'll have screaming while you have riders.