Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dmello)      Join Date: Apr 2015       04-29-2015, 2:11 PM Reply   
Looking to see if I can get some help.. I have a 2000 ski centurion (mercruiser motor, carb), I recently had a season service completed (fuel separator, filter, ATF, oil, impeller and compression test). Let me back up, prior to having it serviced, the boat ran great... Once I got it back from the shop the boat did not run under load. It fired up and ran in idle and neutral completely fine. After taking it back to the shop the boat runs but cuts out and picks it self back up occasionally. Apparently they told me I'm over pressurized on my carb (11-12 psi). Here's my questions:

This sounds like it could be an electrical or fuel problem. Has anyone ran into a similar situation with bogging out and picking back up under a load? I don't think it's a fuel pump, but maybe an anti siphon valve or something. Could it be ignition problem... a bad coil?
Thanks
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-29-2015, 6:53 PM Reply   
Sounds lie the ign/distibutor
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-30-2015, 6:54 AM Reply   
You can't blame the electrical system for a carb fuel over-pressure. The lift pump just ensures enough fuel is available to enter the carburetor and 12 psi is pretty standard. The float or metering device should keep the bowl full of fuel so it can be suctioned into the venturi and throttle body. Ask them if the over-pressurization is from the float not closing properly in the bowl. If so, your engine may be over-fuelling and it would act similarly to the choke being on. That would cause rough running and a lack of power.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-30-2015, 8:22 AM Reply   
You can't be sure that it's something the shop did, even if the timing might indicate that. However, things to look for are: plug wires or plugs as they were out for the compression test; filter at the carb entry or junk on the float needle as the fuel lines were opened and something might have entered the line to the carb; rotor and cap just because they fail at the most annoying times; a vacuum or pressure regulating line being disconnected inadvertently.
I do not believe you over pressured your carb. Seeing how they are vented that seems actually silly.
Old     (K_Dubbs)      Join Date: Feb 2015       04-30-2015, 8:33 AM Reply   
Had similar issues with an 97 5.7L merc. I found a couple of the spark plugs had hairline cracks in the ceramic. Also took the distributor cap off and noted some corrosion between rotor and contacts. Replaced the plugs, cap and rotor, ran great. I would check those out, takes less than half hour to inspect everything and relatively cheap to replace if you find anything wrong
Old     (jws2)      Join Date: Apr 2015       04-30-2015, 9:07 AM Reply   
Check to see that cap is secured properly, it happens or all plug boots are down all the way.
Old     (dmello)      Join Date: Apr 2015       04-30-2015, 9:12 AM Reply   
Thanks. Since I've had the boat back, I re-checked all the plug wires (hoping it was something minor like this). I replaced the cap and rotor a little over a year now. I'll re-check it, maybe its something I just missed. The shop is telling me I should have 5-6 psi (not 12). Ill update with what I figure out.
Old     (jws2)      Join Date: Apr 2015       04-30-2015, 9:35 AM Reply   
pull some plug and see if they look flooded or fowled, they have picture on the internet was different plug symtoms are.... (flooding, lean, timing etc...)
Old     (jws2)      Join Date: Apr 2015       04-30-2015, 9:43 AM Reply   
Flooding At Idle RPM
If your engine floods at idle rpm, check the following:
1. Problem in ignition system causing engine to run rough.
2. Idle mixture screw adjusted incorrectly.
3. Bad needle and seat.
4. Incorrect float level or drop.
From Mercruiser

Inline pump is capable of 7psi max, I wonder what is making 16? did someone change the pump? (no pressure regulator on stock pump.)
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-30-2015, 8:26 PM Reply   
Yes, 6-8 psi for carburetors with appropriate volume. I was thinking single stage pumps in a higher HP configuration.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-01-2015, 8:06 AM Reply   
you mean fuel filter in OP? sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me