Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-18-2015, 8:31 PM Reply   
Two weeks ago, all my gauges stopped working. The went absolutely crazy for about 5 minutes, and then just froze. After checking all the connections and (finally) purchasing a multimeter and learning how to use it, I determined that my MDC 1600 died. The research I've done shows that MDC failures are common, and that most are due to water damage from the speedo lines. But, in my case, I don't think water had anything to do with it, as there doesn't seem to have been any leakage. So, now I'm wondering if the vibration from my sub (the MDC is mounted on the kickpanel under the driver's seat, about 7 inches from where one of my subs also lives) is the culprit. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? I'm just wondering if I should try to relocate the MDC.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-18-2015, 8:32 PM Reply   
And if you're curious, it is possible to give someone a decent pull without any gauges whatsoever, although it isn't very relaxing . . . .
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-19-2015, 4:52 AM Reply   
I would take a hot and ground directly from battery to mdc first to see how it responds. There is also a inline fuse on the hot wire to the mdc to check. If you Google mdc1600 troubleshooting or something like that you can get the manual and wiring diagram
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-19-2015, 5:02 AM Reply   
BAKES has the MDC troubleshooting manual on the page. I just went thru all of this and determined i have a bad MDC. (I hope) my rpm works my fuel level and battery work. my oil pressure and engine temp do not. i get good resistance at the mdc. i have power everywhere there is supposed to be power. Bakes tested my gauge and said it was fine. so last resort is the mdc is bad. we will see, should be here in 2 weeks.

https://www.bakesonline.com/images/M...oubleshoot.pdf
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-19-2015, 5:03 AM Reply   
I cant determine why mine died either. but i havent pulled it yet.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-19-2015, 6:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartt3 View Post
BAKES has the MDC troubleshooting manual on the page. I just went thru all of this and determined i have a bad MDC. (I hope) my rpm works my fuel level and battery work. my oil pressure and engine temp do not. i get good resistance at the mdc. i have power everywhere there is supposed to be power. Bakes tested my gauge and said it was fine. so last resort is the mdc is bad. we will see, should be here in 2 weeks.

https://www.bakesonline.com/images/M...oubleshoot.pdf
I had the exact symptoms you have. It turned out to be a lose ground I found in the back of the boat. Taking apart & cleaning the canon plug also got rid of the inaccurate oil pressure problem.