Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (trippingbillies)      Join Date: Jan 2012       06-21-2013, 7:12 AM Reply   
I've been visiting this site for years (8ish) and its always been my place to get stoked about wakeboarding through videos and interesting posts, but I feel this has changed in the last year or so. Am I crazy for thinking this? The number of videos (both full length short) seems to have declined significantly. For some reason, I swear I remember seeing a new video of a pro about every other day or so, but now this site is barren. Sure, a mike dowdy video just got posted (so sick), but normally there would have been 2 gnarly harley, a chad sharpe, rusty, random adam fields clip, etc video posted by this time in the season (its almost july!).

So, is it me? Or is it the industry? Or do these videos exist and wakeworld is no longer the "main" wakeboarding aggregation site it once was? Thanks for reading the long post.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-21-2013, 7:52 AM Reply   
My theory is everyone is doing their internet / forum stuff from phones now which greatly reduces the links, interaction, it aint the same from my phone then it is from my puter
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-21-2013, 8:02 AM Reply   
Social Media
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-21-2013, 8:38 AM Reply   
Part of it is the haters. It takes a fair amount of energy to record, edit and pull together a little short video. Combine that with very little to no money for the efforts, compounded by haters posting stupid comments and that generosity quickly fades.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-21-2013, 8:49 AM Reply   
I'm surprised we don't have any new harley edits! Crazy
Old     (axxxiswake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-21-2013, 10:02 AM Reply   
Social media. 10 years ago companies would come here to post their stuff. now everyone has liked them on fbook so they can post it there.
Old     (winchinretention)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-21-2013, 11:59 AM Reply   
Wakeworld has failed to adapt to the evolution of the sport. WW has a boat riding, 30 something year old man vibe. That whole side of the sport is fading fast, expensive to do and not fun/hard to watch as a spectator.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-21-2013, 12:38 PM Reply   
Eh, I'd think it's a flux. Since '07 I've been on here, there seems to be a periodic changing of the guard as far as really active members, with a few mainstays that come to mind.

As far as traffic goes, I would definitely say that the vast number of outlets for media has really changed the dynamic of how we get our "online wake fix".

This forum, as far as content that's brought in, is always going to be a function of the members. There have been stretches where members have been extremely active in posting videos, etc... and we're currently in a stretch where maybe there aren't as many people who post that content out to the forum. Ebb and flow, I suppose.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-21-2013, 1:28 PM Reply   
We need a Norbi movie! been way too long.
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       06-21-2013, 2:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye7708 View Post
Eh, I'd think it's a flux. Since '07 I've been on here, there seems to be a periodic changing of the guard as far as really active members, with a few mainstays that come to mind.

As far as traffic goes, I would definitely say that the vast number of outlets for media has really changed the dynamic of how we get our "online wake fix".

This forum, as far as content that's brought in, is always going to be a function of the members. There have been stretches where members have been extremely active in posting videos, etc... and we're currently in a stretch where maybe there aren't as many people who post that content out to the forum. Ebb and flow, I suppose.
Ebb and flow eh? Do we have a gardener on our hands?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-21-2013, 3:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
We need a Norbi movie! been way too long.
Is he back in Hungary, or something? Not sure where he's actually from.

Social media.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       06-21-2013, 3:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye7708 View Post

I think Ben hit it closest to the mark. It's kind of funny because you'll see a "generation" of posters be really active and then for whatever reason that generation slows down their postings. Then they sound like old men talking about the good ol' days when the forums were way better. Then a new generation comes in and does the same thing.

I know that all the originals from WakeWorld really don't post at all anymore. I'm still friends with a lot of them and most still ride, but for whatever reason people tend to grow out of the forums after 7-10 years. Luckily, there is always a new generation that comes in to take their place, which is why our traffic is busier than it's ever been.

As far as the videos of pros go, I have to agree that we're in a bit of a lull. This time last year we were seeing a lot more videos. It has nothing to do with social media because there aren't any videos on there either right now. It's actually a really good time for somebody that wants to make a name for themselves to slip in and get some attention. Don't worry. It's just temporary. It always is.
Old     (fizzz)      Join Date: Nov 2010       06-21-2013, 3:23 PM Reply   
I've heard of a couple full length videos being filmed, maybe that's why there's a shortage of clips being posted?
Old     (akman)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-21-2013, 8:21 PM Reply   
Guilty as charged.....original wakeworlder...now lurker slash occasional poster. Still love the site, life has ebb and flows....raising a son now 6 has sucked me away from the forums.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       06-21-2013, 8:24 PM Reply   
We weren't really talking about you, Aki. I was talking about the guys that really contributed some content, not the ones that just babbled on about double pumping and fashion airs!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-22-2013, 4:14 AM Reply   
Dave, maybe you should hold an amateur hour type head to head contest with edits in a bracket. Could be kind of fun as long as people with thin skin don't get mad.... Plus it would be tons of wake footage...

Get more people into filming/editing too.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-22-2013, 5:57 AM Reply   
I wouldn't say WakeWorld is dying at all. Dave and Ben are dead on with the way it kind of ebs with different generations. Time of the year has a lot to do with it. Now that it's warm a lot of the people on this forum are outdoors doing stuff. This is a forum that is directed more towards outdoorsy people who can't be physically active during the winter, so it's busy then, but slows down as soon as it warms up. There might be more site traffic due to people wanting to get a quick fix on material, but the time and patience to sit and read threads and then post isn't there for most at this time of year.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-22-2013, 6:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by winchinretention View Post
Wakeworld has failed to adapt to the evolution of the sport. WW has a boat riding, 30 something year old man vibe. That whole side of the sport is fading fast, expensive to do and not fun/hard to watch as a spectator.
This really comes across like "I cant afford a boat, so I winch.. so boats suck!"

If you think boats are dead, go ask a Nautique dealer how many G's they're selling. Perhaps also ask someone who doesn't participate in the sport if they find it more interesting to watch someone hit sliders on a cable/winch or go huge behind a boat. I think you'll be disappointed by most answers.
Old     (winchinretention)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-24-2013, 11:01 AM Reply   
I have a 2004 Air Nautique and several friends with boats. I ride as much as I want.

Most decked out brand new boats out on the lakes have tubes strapped to the tower. Very few people who are buying these are out on wakeworld and really into the "lifestyle" of the sport.

If were talking about watching wakeboarding from the shore, the cable (2 tower or loop) is 10X more exciting. Unfortunately only about 8-10 can fit into a boat.

Wakeboarding will continue to be popular recreation but the lifestyle aspect will continue to move away from wake riding and spiked hair that is prominent on wakeworld.
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-24-2013, 6:00 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding has been plagued by a wave of constant and instant media gratification. The last couple years riders were putting out videos like nothing. Now riders are starting to see value in putting effort into a project or video. The days of filming a web video in one day is dwindling at least for the guys who truly want to showcase their riding to the best standard.

Wakeboarding fans need to support wakeboard movies more then ever. DVD sales are down to nothing and its really hard to get the motivation to work on a project for a year when you end up going broke or not completing because you can't pay your bills. Not everyone has rich parents to float their illustrious wakeboarding filming career.
Old     (trippingbillies)      Join Date: Jan 2012       06-25-2013, 7:12 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input y'all. Its interesting to hear from those who have been around a while what they think on the situation. From what I gather, it seems as if a double lull (both seasonal and multi-year) combined with social media currently has us video-less. I hope that the cycle breaks sooner than later.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-25-2013, 7:22 AM Reply   
I have been here since before the beginning of WW and all through the years. I have also seen the up and down of posts and the annual crap talking once winter comes along. I do think that social media has pulled many away from checking in here daily. Considering most pros, manufactures, etc,, spend lots of time with their social media, we keep up with them and our friends there. There have always been haters and smack talkers, so that does not change.

Dave - What about a way that you have Fb or Linked or Twitter etc - Just running all the time and we can link to that and keep track of all those people in one place which is your place? Than just have a running twitter section that we can keep up with? I am sure there are some hurdles to go through, but basically we "follow" WW's twitter/fb,etc and that ties us into to the rest.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-25-2013, 7:44 AM Reply   
I've always tried to explain things this way:

When I was a younger man just getting into the sport I needed every tid bit of information and excitement and I was in general, more enthusiastic about pretty much everything! I wanted to take it all in.

After 15 years of riding I wouldn't say that I'm less passionate but that I don't have the same need for information. I've always loved Wakeworld and the opportunities it has given me to connect with so many people. I just find that I don't have to know who the top 5 riders are in every tournament, that I don't need every new wow factor over a new board or boat model. I do miss the days before the boat market is what we see now, coming from the background of almost no one having a wake boat and seeing the transition from ride behind everything, anyway possible, to getting that coveted wake boat.
I've also been involved with the political and organizing side in Alberta and it adds a different dynamic to things and some days I'm just a little interwebbed out after trying to market things. For me it's been a transition of wanting to be a part of the sport, to becoming part of it.

I hope I'll always be someone that can offer some trick, contest, officiating, and overall advice or feedback. While I ride less in certain periods of my life I do see myself wanting to ride well past the years of my broken body being happy about it!
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-25-2013, 8:53 AM Reply   
as much a I love checking out a new vid on alliance every day, it has definitely taken away the originality and stoke of full length films. Every time a new trick is landed we see it the next day and there are no surprises and the guys from my era (harf, parks, shane, Murray etc) aren't going to be coming out with new jaw dropping tricks. It's amazing these guys even still ride, I'm 27 (28 next month) and my body just can't take learning a new hard trick. The Shredtown stuff to me is just super repetitive and although dangerous, just doesn't get me stoked to ride like seeing a crazy kicker hit or wake trick.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-25-2013, 8:57 AM Reply   
I really just think people want to see a good WAKEboarding video instead of a video filled with backyard stunts. lets go back to the roots,
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-25-2013, 10:28 AM Reply   
I use my lake as a gauge, and although there continue to be more and more wake boats at our lake, there are fewer and fewer riders that can shred. Kids don't put in the time it takes to get good, hopefully it's different everywhere else. Been riding 17 years, and it took multiple years of 100+hours/summer of constant riding. I'm 41 now and probably ride more than anyone out here(besides my wife and kids)-sad, sad, sad.
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-25-2013, 11:07 AM Reply   
I agree with the 30 year old man vibe, and CWB ads..
Old     (jonori)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-30-2013, 12:34 PM Reply   
I actually just jumped onto the forum to see if there were any new pro edits and found this post. I think that we (as wakeborading fans) got spoiled over the past few years with guys like Norbi putting out unbelievable content for free. What has led to this great free content? I think 2 things have come together over the past few years. New relatively affordable video shooting tech (Super high quality DSLRs from boat and the rise of GoPro for new innovative shooting angles). This, coupled with guys like Norbi that had access to pros and the skills to put the edits together led to an increase of free quality content.

I was one of those guys that bought 2,3 maybe 4 wake video a year back in the day. Every time I got a new video and saw a trick for the first time, I thought it was worth the price. Now, I get that same fix from these pro edits, for free. I am not a producer but I imagine that putting together a full length Wake video, takes money, time and a ton of quality riding. To recoup the money (or try to profit) from a wake video must have become crazy difficult over the past few years with all of the quality edits. Here is what I think is going on (just a guess).

People are putting together professionally produced wake videos of pros as we speak. I would imagine that they don't want consumers to see the riders in their videos doing the amazing tricks on free edits anymore. I would even guess that they ask these pros to agree to not be filmed. This is just a total guess on my part.

I hope this is the case because I would gladly drop money on a DVD/iTunes Wake video that will blow my mind with new tricks. However, if these wake videos show us tricks we saw Dowdy do in an edit 3 months ago, we will probably not continue buying them.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-01-2013, 7:06 PM Reply   
funny you guys think there is a lack of vids lately, if anything I find theres too much to watch. Also its getting increasingly hard to stand out with so many good amateurs making vids theses days.

But yeh, really I see everything on social media these says

Heres a good one of Powers if you havent seen it yet

http://www.iwake.com/Blog/Post/danielpowerset
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-03-2013, 10:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_L View Post
I really just think people want to see a good WAKEboarding video instead of a video filled with backyard stunts. lets go back to the roots,
did you see Lipsmack ? slingshot a pweiland still keeping it fresh

SS is always putting out new stuff and i'm thankful its not boring boat edits
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-03-2013, 6:50 PM Reply   
the boat scene is definitely not dead.. I just think the other areas of wakeboarding (cable/winch) are expanding
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-04-2013, 6:20 AM Reply   
In my opinion it's not dying. I see tons of new wakeboats on the water and street in ohio every year. That doesn't mean they r all boarding but watersports in general wil go thru fads of being popular then just fall back to the core boaters of the world.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-04-2013, 6:21 AM Reply   
Well maybe kneeboarding won't gain steam again unless you have knees of steel or your a teen.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2013, 8:04 AM Reply   
Oh crap, I just realized I have become one of those old guys. I hope that occasionally my years of experience result in a useful post for someone as I have received many benefits from my affiliation with Wakeworld. I certainly don't want to be a burden on the kids.

When you have been around a while you see the discussions circle around to the same stuff and your needs for information definitely drop and that can be combined with a change in age related priorities. I also get the social media impact as well.

However, I have always loved watersports and I truly enjoy the Wakeworld "community" and it's not just about wakeboarding for me. Forum members are a great source of information from auto dealer problems to lasik surgery and beyond. Its kind of my water cooler-coffee break.

Perhaps if I was more involved in social media I would fade away or maybe it will happen when I hit that magical post number and I earn a Wakeworld soft cooler.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-13-2013, 9:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
However, I have always loved watersports and I truly enjoy the Wakeworld "community" and it's not just about wakeboarding for me. Forum members are a great source of information from auto dealer problems to lasik surgery and beyond. Its kind of my water cooler-coffee break.
There is no social media alternative to what these forums offer.
Old     (team210)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-16-2013, 6:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
I agree 100% on this one. Yes every manufacturer has their social media, but sites like these bring everyone together to compare notes per sae. I personally go through ups and downs on here with my activity, but I do notice now how different the site is from when I first started on herein the early 2000's.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-16-2013, 6:57 PM Reply   
There has even been a decline in Chatt's photoshops.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-17-2013, 9:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
Absolutely, from bumming pulls to checking out boards there is nowhere that you can get the kind of information all in one place. Since becoming a new boat owner I have used the search function more often than i care to admit
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-18-2013, 4:28 PM Reply   
Ebb and flow... Wakeworld will always provide more info, social interaction, knowledge and assistance for wakeboarding than any other e-format.
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-22-2013, 10:04 AM Reply   
WAIT... what does everybody consider old? I am close to 27 and still working hard (and crashing hard) to land new tricks. I used to post a lot more than I do now, but as some people have pointed out as time goes on you care less on staying up to date on current riders, boards, boats, etc and more about your own riding and having fun.
As for industry decline... I don't believe so. When I started riding there were very few boats on my lake with towers. Now I would say around 25% of speed boats are either inboards or stern drives with towers. Yes a lot of those wake boats have tubes on them, but they also have boards in the racks. When I was a new rider I tubed as much as I boarded. People getting into the sport will start out that way. There is only so much you can do on a tube, so after a few years in gets old. With a board there is a never ending line of tricks to learn.
I care a lot about the sport and personally do what I can to bring people into it. I finally was able to afford a good boat and when I see people out on my lake riding behind a less then ideal boat I offer them a pull. Its my way of showing people why you would want to spend tens of thousands on a wake boat.