Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jibsta210)      Join Date: Jul 2015       06-30-2017, 1:04 PM Reply   
I have a set of rev10s, 3 years old,, one cut out yesterday, so today i dug in, checked the resistance and it seems correct 3.4ohms.. but then i noticed it weighed a ton and was sloshing... i opened it up it had like 2 - 3 liters of WATER IN IT???

WTF... ll the screws were tight how is this water getting in... should i contact wetsounds?
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-30-2017, 2:32 PM Reply   
Well....now we know how they got the name.
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-30-2017, 4:01 PM Reply   
Drill a small drain hole in the bottom of the cans?
Old     (jibsta210)      Join Date: Jul 2015       06-30-2017, 4:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
Drill a small drain hole in the bottom of the cans?
i pulled it apart, emptied it and left it in the sun, and it is working again.. but shouldn't these things be sealed?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-30-2017, 6:03 PM Reply   
do you put your tower down for storage or anything? If water gets into the horn cone, then that's a possible entry point. So it's possible that if the speaker is point up toward the sky for storage or something, that might cause it.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 06-30-2017 at 6:04 PM. Reason: `
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-30-2017, 7:06 PM Reply   
I agree, with above... Drill hole in bottom...
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-01-2017, 5:45 AM Reply   
This is nothing new with HLCDs or tower speakers in general. With all proaxials (horn tweeter at the center of the midbass driver) there is a very slight gap between the midbass voice coil and horn. The internal spider is porous to aid in cooling. So it is possible that water could get in between this or by some other means. Sitting out in a hard driving rain could do it. Stored while facing up in a rain could do it. But it is not normal for a speaker that is located six feet above the sole of the boat. Rather than drill a drainage hole in the pod, I would first try to figure out how and when water is gaining access and fix that problem.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-01-2017, 11:52 AM Reply   
Where do you store your boat? As mentioned the horn can allow water in on rainy days with the right wind.

Speakersox or suits are great way to keep them dry , I prefer speakersox
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-01-2017, 8:35 PM Reply   
^^^Yeah, Speakersox are awesome.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-05-2017, 7:41 AM Reply   
Understand something about enclosures used in an outdoor environment. A totally sealed speaker enclosure, be it a woofer enclosure or a tower enclosure, has a mass of air trapped inside that CHANGES in volume depending on temperature. If there is no opening to the outside world, the cone of the woofer/midbass driver will be pushed outward to its mechanical extreme as the ambient temperature goes up throughout the day. A marine enclosure ideally needs an "engineered leak" as part of its design.

My point is to just add to the discussion that totally sealed is actually bad.

FYI

Phil
Kicker
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-05-2017, 3:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwsailz View Post
Understand something about enclosures used in an outdoor environment. A totally sealed speaker enclosure, be it a woofer enclosure or a tower enclosure, has a mass of air trapped inside that CHANGES in volume depending on temperature. If there is no opening to the outside world, the cone of the woofer/midbass driver will be pushed outward to its mechanical extreme as the ambient temperature goes up throughout the day. A marine enclosure ideally needs an "engineered leak" as part of its design.

My point is to just add to the discussion that totally sealed is actually bad.

FYI

Phil
Kicker
Bulging midbass drivers on a hot day. But only with sealed midbass drivers and really good airtight pods, like the Kickers featured. Not usually an issue on proaxials with a center horn because the pod really isn't 100% sealed to begin with.