Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-14-2009, 8:38 AM Reply   
We were about 100 yards from this boat when it exploded. Guy probably dind't use his blower. We pulled up to try to help, but within a couple minutes, it was completely engulfed in flames. So, my girlfriend Clare took pictures instead. The fire department was there within about 10 minutes, but the boat was completely burnt to a crisp.

Channel 4-
http://www.wcco.com/video/?id=66884@wcco.dayport.com

Channel 5-
http://kstp.com/news/stories/S1136257.shtml?cat=1

Channel 11-
http://gannett.a.mms.mavenapps.net/mms/rt/1/site/gannett-kare-3323-pub01-live/current/launch.html?maven_playerId=kare11immersiveplayer15 282008&maven_referralPlaylistId=43823969083ac1d9f9 9a02e30502733c164a820a&maven_referralObject=125259 3415
Old    Slingshot            09-14-2009, 8:49 AM Reply   
That guy must of had one crazy gas leak. When you drive down the road on the trailer, as long as your blower hoses are all in good shape and hooked up, the air from driving blows into your boat, through the motor compartment and out the back or side. Sounds like this boat had some issues!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-14-2009, 9:05 AM Reply   
Kyle, it doesn't matter how much gas is in the bilge. It only matters how much it has in the way of fumes. You're right that it should clear going down the highway but if you've got ten minutes from the time you pull into the parking lot you have lots of time to let the fumes from oil and gas build back up.
Old    Slingshot            09-14-2009, 9:22 AM Reply   
I'm not saying don't use your blower. But being a boat owner, you need to check your engine over for leaks. Its in an inclosed space which can build up fumes. If you smell gas or oil...something, get your boat looked at, otherwise this can happen. I used to be a boat mechanic, and it would blow me away when people would bring in older boards. I would hop in them and just smell gas. Open the motor box to find a cracked old fuel hose. Gas should not be a normal smell in your boat... People need to check their boats out or get them serviced by someone.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-14-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
I run my blower and also open my engine compartment when I get to the launch and leave it open while I am crawling around getting the boat ready, putting drain plugs in, checking oil, taking the straps off and going through my pre launch checklist. I usually leave it open while I drop the boat and idle down to my dock. It may be overkill, but I have seen/heard enough of these stories.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-14-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
Good points Kyle.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-14-2009, 10:26 AM Reply   
Hey Charlie, I saw Clare on the news this morning with your boat floating in the background!!!
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-14-2009, 11:02 AM Reply   
Wow. Glad no one got hurt.

On a side note, how can people just not run around depressed all the time when the top news stories on one of those sites were these. Good grief! Does anything good happen in the world???

* Body Found in Wall Believed to be Missing Yale Student
* Boat with Children Onboard Explodes in Buffalo
* Body of St. Paul Man Pulled from St. Croix River
* Manhunt Ends for Escaped Murder Suspect in St. Paul
* Mom Leaves ND Hospital With Wrong Newborn
* Students: Gay Slur Claim was Retaliation
* Formerly Conjoined Twins Moving from Fargo
* Graves of 6 Slain Siblings Finally Marked
* Two Killed in Accident in Southeastern Minnesota
* 10-Year-Old Upgraded After Mpls. Home Explosion
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-14-2009, 11:03 AM Reply   
Hey, did you get a look at that sweeeet all red Supra in the background! The owner of that boat sure is one lucky guy.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-14-2009, 11:46 AM Reply   
Thanks Chad!!

By the way, sounds like we're game for foiling tomorrow out on Tonka behind the Epic if you're still game?
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-14-2009, 12:48 PM Reply   
I'm game. I'll give you a call on time and location.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-14-2009, 2:33 PM Reply   
I have been trying to be sure to run the blowers especially after gassing up the boat. Could be the case here. Where are the pics??
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-14-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
The pics were in the news stories.... I didn't bring that memory card to work today to unload it... I could do it tomorrow and post some of the actual pics here.