Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (LiquidObsession)      Join Date: Jun 2015       11-27-2016, 8:20 AM Reply   
My factory cover is toast and I'm looking to replace it. There are so many companies to choose from. Who makes the best quality covers at a below $1000 budget?

I need it to be waterproof and towable. I store the boat outside (under a canopy tent).

2004 MB Sports 220V with factory Skylon tower.

I live in Sacramento/Auburn California.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       11-27-2016, 9:28 AM Reply   
I bought a higher end Westland cover this year. The cover is built well but the tower cutouts are about three inches off and are extremely tight around the backside of the tower. Westland said they build them according to factory spec's.....but when I called Malibu they told me there weren't any specs on exactly where the tower mounts. Would have been a good cover at $600 if the tower fit better.

Basically I'm SOL and the cover is going to tear prematurely because of the stress on the seams.

At least I don't use its much because the boat fits in the garage.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-27-2016, 2:09 PM Reply   
I would get that cover altered for the tower legs...take it to a canvas or upholstery shop and they can easily fix it.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-28-2016, 7:42 AM Reply   
Skiboatcovers.com

Really easy to work with.

I just got mine a few months ago for about 1300$. But mine is water line fit on a 24 foot boat. So it's a lot of fabric. You could get one for your size boat in your budget.
Attached Images

Old     (smorris7)      Join Date: Nov 2013       11-28-2016, 10:04 AM Reply   
Evolution Covers are the best. Custom fit in your budget 10 yr warranty.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-28-2016, 10:20 AM Reply   
I wanted an Evolution cover for my boat too. But if they don't have the pattern for your boat. They will not make you a cover. They told my to use Skiboatcovers.com, this was after I took the time to fill out their custom cover spread sheet.
Old     (LiquidObsession)      Join Date: Jun 2015       11-28-2016, 12:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
Skiboatcovers.com

Really easy to work with.

I just got mine a few months ago for about 1300$. But mine is water line fit on a 24 foot boat. So it's a lot of fabric. You could get one for your size boat in your budget.

Is it towable? Looks a little loose for towing.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-28-2016, 1:47 PM Reply   
They "say" it is but I haven't done it yet. They supply more straps to tighten it down to the trailer. At the bottom of the cover there are small loops you use to pull it down tighter to the trailer. But you don't need to use these for normal cover use.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       11-29-2016, 7:18 PM Reply   
I got a sunbrella cover for my previous boat off iboats; they (and some other sites as well I believe) sometimes have great offers on covers that weren't collected r I don't know what happened with them. Very ltd color choice, but about 50% off iirc.
Old     (LiquidObsession)      Join Date: Jun 2015       11-30-2016, 5:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripsw View Post
I got a sunbrella cover for my previous boat off iboats; they (and some other sites as well I believe) sometimes have great offers on covers that weren't collected r I don't know what happened with them. Very ltd color choice, but about 50% off iirc.

Thanks. I was under the impression they weren't towable covers.
Old     (pilsner31)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-30-2016, 6:22 AM Reply   
This was a few years ago, when I had my cover in to the local tarp shop, Canadian Tarpaulin, to get the trap door zipper fixed. I asked how much for them to make the exact replica of my Epic cover. They told me about $650 (CAD), minus the logos. It's the "towable" type with Velcro and buckles around the tower, to the ratchets at the back. Every "towable" cover I've seen on the highway doesn't fit my definition of towable. Tried mine once, flapped like a sail. Never again. Maybe cause it's 23' the back half has such a big space with no support. 90% of wakeboats I see up here on the road tow without cover. Just my preference. Do you really need it to be towable? Anyway, you could try your local tarp shop, maybe they'd make you a replica for cheap.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       11-30-2016, 7:56 AM Reply   
I have a Coversports cover I ordered 4 years ago and love it. They are built to be towable... They list MB as a pattern they have, but I'd check for your exact boat. They are a bit slow with response and I had best luck with calling them, but usually had to leave a message. It will take about 6-8 weeks for delivery, but well worth the wait IMHO.

http://www.coversports.net/store/c1/..._Products.html
Old     (LiquidObsession)      Join Date: Jun 2015       12-01-2016, 5:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsner31 View Post
This was a few years ago, when I had my cover in to the local tarp shop, Canadian Tarpaulin, to get the trap door zipper fixed. I asked how much for them to make the exact replica of my Epic cover. They told me about $650 (CAD), minus the logos. It's the "towable" type with Velcro and buckles around the tower, to the ratchets at the back. Every "towable" cover I've seen on the highway doesn't fit my definition of towable. Tried mine once, flapped like a sail. Never again. Maybe cause it's 23' the back half has such a big space with no support. 90% of wakeboats I see up here on the road tow without cover. Just my preference. Do you really need it to be towable? Anyway, you could try your local tarp shop, maybe they'd make you a replica for cheap.

Clever! I'm definitely going to make some calls.
Old     (LiquidObsession)      Join Date: Jun 2015       12-01-2016, 5:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by corerider View Post
I have a Coversports cover I ordered 4 years ago and love it. They are built to be towable... They list MB as a pattern they have, but I'd check for your exact boat. They are a bit slow with response and I had best luck with calling them, but usually had to leave a message. It will take about 6-8 weeks for delivery, but well worth the wait IMHO.

http://www.coversports.net/store/c1/..._Products.html

I'll look into them as well... thanks.
Old     (Gavin17)      Join Date: Nov 2015       12-04-2016, 12:25 PM Reply   
Coversports or evolution are both top notch. Be prepared to wait though.
Old     (Darkside)      Join Date: Apr 2015       02-03-2017, 8:20 AM Reply   
Evolution is fantastic! They provide an amazing product and support. I tow AZ to TN in the summer, and the evolution works fantastic on 2000 mile trips!
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-04-2017, 5:22 AM Reply   
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...pshl1ar3ls.jpg

Very happy with my skiboatcovers.com cover as a storage cover. It's not quite an evo or cover sports but as an over the tower cover it's awesome and very affordable!
Old    dreamboat1            02-04-2017, 8:06 AM Reply   
Not to sway too far from the topic but is there any recommendations for keeping covers in good condition? Any good formulas out there to apply on it?
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-04-2017, 8:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamboat1 View Post
Not to sway too far from the topic but is there any recommendations for keeping covers in good condition? Any good formulas out there to apply on it?
If storing inside keep it clean, it should last forever.

If outside, clean and waterproof every year or two. Good materials like sunbrella will last a very long time. Cheaper materials like most stock covers are not gonna last more than a few years outside.
Old     (ProvoMB52)      Join Date: Nov 2011       08-02-2017, 3:36 PM Reply   
I know there have been a few discussion items in the past about after market boat covers. If you own the boat long enough, and the cover is subject to inclement weather, it will wear out. I also know some of us have concerns about towing our boats with the covers on as some covers can really scuff the gelcoat.

Wanted to give a heads up that Brent Fleming at www.coversports.net, makes a very nice cover. This is a cover that will stand up to the weather, and is specifically designed for towing.

Bought a 1989 Supra TS6M last fall, and it didn't have a cover included in the deal (old one was trashed), so we had one made by Brent, and this cover is so much better than the original would have ever been, and will last twice as long too, I'm sure.