Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Onebadssv)      Join Date: Feb 2016       01-29-2017, 1:04 PM Reply   
Hi guys, I always value other boat owners opinion so I would like to get some thoughts. I am looking to get into another boat in the next couple weeks and I have found some good deals on a 2016 mojo and a 2016 t23. I wanted to get some thoughts from you guys as to which route to go. Both are loaded with trailers with under 100 hours and under 60k out the door.

I'm pretty familiar with the differences between the t23 and it's Malibu counter part. What I am unsure of is the quality and option difference between the moomba and Supra. From what I could tell on water the axis has as good a wake and driveability as the Malibu but is just lacking the "extras" and goodies the Malibu offered. Both have a 5 year power train warranty which is a huge plus to me.

Can some of you guys give me the pointers between the mojo and Supra. Quality difference, wake size, performance, warranty etc? I know 2017 mojo offer a 5 year warranty, anyone know if the 2016 is the same?

For those wondering, the boat will be a family boat so of course I want it to be well versed in all aspects. We board, surf, tube etc but the most important aspect to me is the wakeboard wake and the long term durability. We will be upgrading from a 2004 Supra launch ssv which has been a wonderful boat but I'm looking forward to a long future with whatever we end up going with.

Last thing. If you can think of any better boat that fits my needs for $60k I'm all ears.

Thanks!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-29-2017, 2:05 PM Reply   
Here is my 2 cents, but of course you have to go with your gut. Its your money.
I think the Mojo is a better looking boat and better fit and finish. The Mojo will surf and wake very well. If your used to an 04 Supra you will like it for sure. Deeper and upholstry and stuff is higher quality than that era Supra. Great company backing the product.
The Axis is obviously a great boat and has a great parent company. My biggest beef with it is the fit and finish just looks cheap. You know Malibu has the ability to make a great interior and exterior styling, but they skimp on it to make sure they are not canabalizing sales that would have otherwise gone to Malibu. Does that make sense? Axis is known for a great wakeboard wake and heard the surf is mediocre, but do not quote me cause I have not personally ridden it. I know the 2017 Axis has done some upgrades to fit and finish though.

Either way you can't go wrong and awesome boats so do not let us internet guys sway you. I would put a lot of credence into the dealer if you are buying from a dealer. A good dealer can make or break your ultimate experience over time.
Old    dreamboat1            01-29-2017, 2:23 PM Reply   
I think both are nice boats but I like the mojo better. When I was shopping for a new boat last season my main focus was an Axis but after picking it apart I thought it wasn't worth the price out the door plus the dealer I was dealing with wasn't so great so that didn't help either. I thought being parent to Malibu it would be better in the fit and finish especially for the price but I think prices for some of these boats are getting a little wild you can buy a new searay "wake" boat for 120k now haha...
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-29-2017, 5:06 PM Reply   
I'd go Moomba if quality is a priority. I would encourage you to take a look inside some of the compartments on each boat, as that will show you what kind of quality build you're working with. Wakeboard and surf on the 2015 and later Mojos is fantastic too. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the performance of either boat, but if I wanted a family boat that was built to last Moomba would be my first choice.
Old     (Onebadssv)      Join Date: Feb 2016       01-29-2017, 5:48 PM Reply   
Guys I surely do appreciate all the advise and opinions, keep them coming. I have yet to find one person be biased towards the axis which def speaks volumes. While I am worried about wakeboarding performance I can't imagine that any 2016 moomba, axis, Supra or Malibu would be a step back from my current boat and I'm very satisfied with its wake.
Old     (DCross)      Join Date: Jul 2016       01-29-2017, 6:08 PM Reply   
I can't speak toward the Moomba, but we've got a 2015 T23 that's been great for us. Of the few problems we've had, I've been able to address them all on the water accumulating less than 5 or 10 min of downtime each. It's a huge boat for a 23' with comfortable seating for a big crew, and believe me that nobody complains about the fit and finish when they're in it. Wakeboard and surf wake are awesome. Completely loaded with plug and play takes awhile to get on plane and you can't fill the back sacks all the way (I tell everybody the boat is ass heavy), but it pulls great overall. We could've gone Moomba or Axis, but 100% chose Axis because of the local dealer. The boats are close in comparison. Our market does better reselling Axis than Moomba and we prefer our Axis dealer over the other so it was an easy choice for us. I'd recommend you review based on the same criteria.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       01-29-2017, 6:09 PM Reply   
I can tell you that both boats will perform when it comes to Surf and Wakeboarding. However the Moomba will take the cake when it comes to fit and finish. I have had 2 Axis boats and they never let me down on performance, but they were not built nearly as well as a Moomba's are now. Moomba has been able to make nice upgrades and add some nice options while keeping price in check.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-29-2017, 6:13 PM Reply   
I've owned a Moomba from new and Ive spent time in Axis boats and specifically the T23. I put 400 hours in 4 years and my Moomba and was sad to see that boat go. barley any issues to speak of. Now I have an X30 but ride a Mojo weekly.

I will echo what everyone else has said.

First of the wake and wave of the T23 is fantastic. The size and room of the boat is also great. The fit and finish however is "ok". The Moomba wake and wave are also very good. I haven't ridden the newest generation of Mojo, but in the wake alone category the T23 was the winner. Aside from that, I prefer the other aspects of the Mojo. The Moomba has better fit and finish, way more storage and better vinyl and metal cup holders too.

I wouldn't rule out a T23, its a sick boat. I would have a tough time picking one of those 2 boats. I think I would come down to dealer, options, price and colour.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-29-2017, 10:15 PM Reply   
Great Thread!! I'm looking at the same 2 boats...same budget....and coming from the same boat (except 03 ssv). I was just at boat show today and was impressed with the 17 axis but yes, have heard similar "fit and finish" concerns from previous years. Mojo seems to be decent option. I have my eye on a '14 Mojo but i've heard pre 15 not quite as good so trying to find one a little newer. Keep us updated because I am very interested to know the boat you choose. Can anyone speak to the storage of either of the OP choices? Im a family dude myself and coming from 03 SSV, we have virtually none with sacs etc. so I assume that would be a bonus.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-29-2017, 10:18 PM Reply   
you asked for other options, I will share what has been shared with me thus far... some others I've been told to consider were MB B52 23 and Supreme S238.
Old     (BrettLee3232)      Join Date: Feb 2015       01-29-2017, 10:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk22 View Post
you asked for other options, I will share what has been shared with me thus far... some others I've been told to consider were MB B52 23 and Supreme S238.

I was literally just about to write about these 2 options LOL

To the OP,
I own a 15 Moomba Mondo & I love it. Only gripe is I wish I would of bought the mojo. I looked at Axis to cause my lake was filled with Axis so I wanted to see the hype. I was not impressed one bit. Everything about the interior was blahhhhh. Dash looks like it belonged on a John Deer tractor. Carpet up the side walls for the seat bases. I didn't like how it wasn't one solid fiberglass boat. Stuff is pieced together & screwed together. To me I thought it would be a rattle trap. The exterior though is phenomenal (minus the huge skeleton "westside" vandal edition LOL). Clean lines & just looks sexy on the water, that is until you look inside the boat. I never personally surfed an Axis because I didn't even want to demo it after I saw the interior. The wave does look amazing though.

I would consider the Supreme 238 & MB B52. Any boat you choose WILL need more than stock weight though. Big boats need to sink a little bit.
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       01-30-2017, 7:51 AM Reply   
Last October we sold our '06 Supra 21v and went to a 16' Axis T22. Had the Axis out about 4 times before putting it up for the winter. I absolutely love it so far. The 21v had a great wakeboard wake and actually put out a decent surf wave with a wake shaper device but it is nothing compared to the Axis. The Axis wakeboard wake is so meaty and solid. It's so easy to set up. Dropping the wedge adds a nice lip. It's a great wake as pretty much everyone says. The Supra was very sensitive to weight placement in the boat. We were always moving everyone around to get it right. The Axis is way less sensitive and stays really clean at almost any speed. Supra wake was much steeper and abrupt. Axis doesn't get pulled around as much by hard cuts.
We compared the T22, T23, Mojo and Craz before settling on the T22. Didn't need the 23' boat and we trailer a lot so 22' made more sense. The Moomba's are nice boats. As everyone else says fit and finish looks a little better on the Moomba but after spending time in the Axis I have no complaints with the fit and finish. The main deciding factor for us was the ease of use of the Axis. My wife drives and for her the simple operation of the surf gate was a huge plus. Trying to explain the auto wake plate and what angle to have what plate for surfing was more involved than just pushing a switch to surf left or right. To wake board it's as easy as filling the plug and play bow bag full, the stock center hard tank and stock rear hard tanks and maybe a couple hundred pounds in the rear plug and play depending on how many people in boat and you have a solid big wakeboard wake. Drop the wedge to add lip and make it a little bigger and steeper. Boat has no problem getting on plane with that set up. Once we are done wakeboarding the surf wave is as easy as filling the plug and play 825's to about 3/4 full dropping the wedge and hitting the surf gate. Wave has tons of push and is super fun. It's so easy and consistent. Sit a couple people to the surf side for just a little list and it's even better.
I don't think you can go wrong with either boat but I'm a big Axis fan right now.
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-30-2017, 8:39 AM Reply   
Everyone is pretty much right on the money with my opinion also. T23 needs some bow weight. The one I ride on has a bunch of lead bags stuffed in the bow to bring the nose down. Almost 2k in weight from the windshield forward.

Big advantage of the axis... Wedge. I usually only use wedge for surfing bc I like a steep face and curl... also allows to ride a little faster to firm the lip and extend the wave out. We run around 12mph ash. I don't use it wake boarding much... we just weight her down.

Moomba craz is another boat I spent some time on. These boats are in the running for sure and i was very impressed. Super clean, easy to set up, surf wave and wakeboard wake. I like boats that I can slow down for wake boarding providing big ass meaty wakes. I really like the pull out rear seat on the moomba. Way clean compared to the axis pull out bench.

Only gripe with the moomba is the upholstery felt a little loose over the foam... didn't seem like it was real tight but not that big of an issue.
Old     (Supra24)      Join Date: Sep 2013       01-30-2017, 9:06 AM Reply   
Copying my post from your Moomba thread, which echos most of the other comments .....

I was in a similar situation last year. I was upgrading from a 2006 24ssv and shopped the A24 and Mojo. I found a solid deal on a dealer demo A24 Vandall and thought I was going to switch over. However, after spending time sitting in both, I feared I'd end up hating the Axis interior. I know they are both budget boats, but the Axis seemed too budget when spending 60k. It really didn't seem much better than my 10 year old Supra.

We opted to order a Mojo and haven't looked back. At the time, I felt like I was buying the best all around boat but was likely sacrificing wake cleanliness/performance. While it MAY be true, I haven't given it a second thought. We have been very happy with both our wave and wake.

I've driven a new Malibu and thought the Moomba w/ auto flow 2 was much simpler to drive than a surfgate boat.

Like I said, we haven't second guessed at all since finishing up .........

Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-30-2017, 10:40 AM Reply   
I will begin with I have a 2012 Axis A22 and to date its my favorite boat I have owned. That said I love it because of its simplicity and back basics setup. However, I have been annoyed several times where they took this mind set a bit to far. I BABY my boat and still have vinyl issues. That said I have been told that this is fixed in the newer axis. Here in MN i thinks 3x as easy to move a malibu brand boat; however, in other markets this probably isnt the case. If you can get nicer bang for your buck without sacrificing performance I might be buying a moomba this spring!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-30-2017, 12:06 PM Reply   
Axis all day long!
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       01-30-2017, 3:05 PM Reply   
Both are good boats. The wake imho is a bit better on the Axis. The fit and finish may be a little nicer on the Moomba. The Mojo will take a ALOT of weight to get the desired surf wake.
Both are good boats. Good luck and let us know where you end up.
Old     (SoulSurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2016       01-30-2017, 8:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk22 View Post
I'll second this. Would be tough to get into either of these brand new for $60K or less but I'd imagine a one or two year old should be well within reach. FWIW I have a 2016 MB F22 and absolutely love it. Doesn't have the fancy touchscreen dash and some of the "gee whiz" stuff of the more expensive boats, but I find it to be very well put together and made with really nice materials inside and out. Throws a killer surf wave with the factory ballast and PNP (5000 lbs total) and an aggressive wakeboarding wake (albeit a fairly side-to-side weight sensitive one).

With the boats you're looking at, you can't really go "wrong", IMO. A good friend of mine recently sold his 2014 Axis T22 and got a 23 LSV. I can tell you that while the interior of the Axis was a bit more spartan, it was definitely a great surfing and wakeboarding boat and nobody ever seemed to be uncomfortable on it.

That black Moomba up above is freaking gorgeous, by the way!
Attached Images

Last edited by SoulSurfer; 01-30-2017 at 8:25 PM.
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-31-2017, 10:51 AM Reply   
I got the 2017 Craz and love it. Took a look at Axis and was turned off by the price for its quality. The Craz makes an amazing surf and wakeboard wake once you go to 1100's in the rear. Coming from an 04 Möbius, the improvements in quality and performance out of the new Craz are amazing.