Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-11-2017, 12:49 PM Reply   
I'm finally going to add a speed control to my 2005 Sanger V215. I have been leaning toward the hydrophase ridesteady over the Perfect Pass. The user interface looks like its much easier than perfect pass with a lot more features. I like the water and air temp sensors as well. I was looking to see if anyone with this could chime in and let me know how its worked long term. I am also debating on if I need the longer cable for the V-drive. Talking with hydrophase, he mentioned if you can get by with the shorter then to go that way. He said some of the smaller v-drives don't need to the longer cable. I am looking at going the GPS model with water and air temp sensors. No paddlewheel option since I'm usually always on lakes. The boat is an 05 Sanger V215 with the standard Mercury 5.7MPI (non-BS). My dealer wants 4 hours to install it which seemed fair.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-11-2017, 4:39 PM Reply   
Hydrophase is awesome. I put the GPS on my 89 Supra Sunsport in Feb 2015.

It works very well, very consistent performance, good features, great user interface, and great value.

I installed mine myself in about 3hrs, but was on a direct drive with really good access to everything.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-12-2017, 12:39 PM Reply   
I installed Hydrophase gps on my V210 last year and love it. Never given me a problem and holds speed very well. MPI install is easier than BS because the linkage is on top of engine not on side like BS. Shorter cable worked for me.

Last edited by larry1167; 01-12-2017 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-12-2017, 3:09 PM Reply   
Also for what it's worth, I have friends that have hade both Hydrophase and aftermarket PP, and say hands down Hydrophase is the way to go.

My only experience is with Hydrophase.

The customer service through sales and installation was fantastic... and I have not needed any product support since I put the system in (have run it two full seasons).

I did quiz Justin out pretty hard on product support, parts availability, etc... and felt he had the right answers to all my questions.

The brand name is not as well know as PP, but I think they have a much better product. If you have any concerns, call Justin and ask questions. I found him to be very responsive, and very forthcoming.
Old     (doubleup16)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-12-2017, 8:27 PM Reply   
One more in favor for the Hydrophase. Installed in my 03 V230 MPI and I couldn't be happier. I did have a hiccup with some wiring coming out from the connectors (not ridesteady's fault), and Justin took really great care of me. Install is simple if you have mechanical ability. I went with the GPS with air and water temp, no paddle wheel. I'd buy it again for sure!
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-13-2017, 7:46 AM Reply   
Larry, that's good to hear the shorter cable worked. My boat isn't that my longer so it may have a chance. Good to hear all the positive reviews. That is leading to my other debate of whether or not to have the dealer install this or not. The dealer wants $450 to install it. I'm a rather mechanically inclined person as long as I know what I'm trying to do. My hesitation comes in the form of access. I'm not a small guy so getting onto tight places on a boat aren't easy. It was no fun doing my ballast conversion last winter.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-13-2017, 7:47 AM Reply   
Noah, did you have to drill a hole into the hull for the water temp sensor? That's the same set up I'm looking at, GPS with air and water temp, no paddlewheel.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-13-2017, 7:52 AM Reply   
When I did mine two years ago, Hydrophase was offering a $100 rebate if you documented your installation and gave the info back to them. They were trying to build a catalog of installation instructions and photo examples on different boat/engine types.

Not sure if they're still doing this, but if you do opt for the dealer to install it, see if they would take photos and document the process for you? Of course they might wind up charging you for that extra time and the $100 rebate might net out.
Old     (blackstang)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-13-2017, 7:56 AM Reply   
I installed the Hydrophase system on my 2002 Supra Launch 3 years ago and love it.. I installed the gauge in the location of one of the old Speedo heads since it had two. I did the GPS system as well and it has worked great. I had a couple questions about linkage when installing and Justin got back to me super fast with pictures of similar set ups to help me. I couldn't be happier with the product. My only complaint is with myself for not doing it sooner! Mine took about 4 hours to install only because of my dash access and I'm very picky about having a wiring mess.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-13-2017, 12:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM_DLX View Post
Larry, that's good to hear the shorter cable worked. My boat isn't that my longer so it may have a chance. Good to hear all the positive reviews. That is leading to my other debate of whether or not to have the dealer install this or not. The dealer wants $450 to install it. I'm a rather mechanically inclined person as long as I know what I'm trying to do. My hesitation comes in the form of access. I'm not a small guy so getting onto tight places on a boat aren't easy. It was no fun doing my ballast conversion last winter.
RPM- I believe Justin with Hydro is talking about the throttle cable from the Hydro controller to the throttle linkage, not the power cable from the controller to the dash. It's better to have a shorter throttle cable because I assume there is less play. It all depends on where you can install the controller. It was tough on my V210 because there is literally no room between the bottom of the engine cover and the top of the engine. Because the V215 has more freeboard I assume there might be more room in the engine compartment for the controller.

Justin was very helpful and instructions were good. I am fairly mechanical but don't have that much experience with electrical and I was able to do it. I spoke to Justin as I was installing a few times and he was always available or called back promptly.

If you do it yourself, make sure the Hydro throttle cable does not catch on anything. It has to move freely. Like I said, having the MPI will probably make is easier.
Old     (BlazeSr)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-14-2017, 11:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyost View Post
Also for what it's worth, I have friends that have hade both Hydrophase and aftermarket PP, and say hands down Hydrophase is the way to go.

My only experience is with Hydrophase.

The customer service through sales and installation was fantastic... and I have not needed any product support since I put the system in (have run it two full seasons).

I did quiz Justin out pretty hard on product support, parts availability, etc... and felt he had the right answers to all my questions.

The brand name is not as well know as PP, but I think they have a much better product. If you have any concerns, call Justin and ask questions. I found him to be very responsive, and very forthcoming.
X2! What he said!
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       01-15-2017, 6:30 AM Reply   
I purchased the Hydrophase paddle wheel system (what is now called classic) when it first came out. It was easy to install and performed great. I prefer it over the older PP system that is on my current boat.
Old     (doubleup16)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-17-2017, 7:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM_DLX View Post
Noah, did you have to drill a hole into the hull for the water temp sensor? That's the same set up I'm looking at, GPS with air and water temp, no paddlewheel.
What I did was use the speedo air tube hole on one side of the boat. I replaced my speedo with the 5" ridesteady gauge so I didn't need the air tubes anymore. Just re-seal it with marine sealant when you put it back together and you are good to go.
Old     (sambo13)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-18-2017, 8:05 AM Reply   
Another vote for Hydrophase. I've used their systems on multiple boats ('83 Nautique 2001, '99 SAN, '96 MC 225 VRS) and have had nothing but positive experiences with the system.
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       01-18-2017, 9:15 AM Reply   
I bought one of the first paddle wheel units back in 2011 when they were brand new, It's been awesome. I remember customer support being great, I plan on sticking with them if my next boat doesn't come with speed control.