Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-30-2015, 1:01 PM Reply   
We are renting a house in Discovery Bay for a week. I was curious if anyone could tell me how the cell coverage is on Delta in that area? Also, any other tips or advise would be helpful.

Thanks in advance. Scott
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-30-2015, 1:19 PM Reply   
In most places cell coverage is fine. There are a couple of limited service areas, but I run Spotify all day out there.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-30-2015, 1:23 PM Reply   
Other tips......

The safe distance laws go out the window. On the Delta we run in close quarters. So don't freak out if another boat passes a hundred feet from you.

It's a sketchy place for tubing with kids. During the summer months off-shore boats and the fishing guys are flying around corners very fast. Plan ahead and make sure that you're paying attention. I'd stay in the mainstream areas. There are a few shallow channels.

Wake Surfing is illegal.

I suggest you head up toward Union Point and ride on Vics if you never have. Pretty cool up there, and you can have lunch on the water.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-30-2015, 1:31 PM Reply   
Thank you! We don't tube or wakesurf so that shouldn't be an issue...or power turn for that matter.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-30-2015, 1:34 PM Reply   
BTW Jarrod I have seen some of your videos and you guys shred. I hope to catch it live in passing sometime next week.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-30-2015, 2:43 PM Reply   
Scott - send me your email addy & I can send you a cool map/picture of all the spots on the water around Discovery Bay.

FYI -wakesurfing on Vics & Railroads is illegal.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-30-2015, 2:56 PM Reply   
Thanks Migs! I sent you a PM.
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       07-30-2015, 3:31 PM Reply   
Ill be heading out there the 8th!
It'll be my first time out.

Any other tips for that place? Where can you wake surf that won't piss anyone off? I heard railroads is THE spot for boarding. Also, are there any well known shallow are to stay away from, less then 5ft deep?

How far is discover bay from the riding spots? On a map it looks like a good distance.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-30-2015, 3:37 PM Reply   
Scott - email sent.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-30-2015, 3:38 PM Reply   
Kx250 -email sent.

Last edited by migs; 07-30-2015 at 3:42 PM.
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       07-30-2015, 3:58 PM Reply   
Hey Migs can I get a copy of that image?

Cell reception is fine, I've yet to lose it out that way with AT&T also running spotify, pandora and whatever else with no issues.

Wakesurfing I would stick to Old River, that will keep you off most peoples radars for ruining the good water. It is also wide enough that other boaters can get around you.

As Jarrod mentioned, wakeboarding on certain sloughs you will be in tight spaces. Know your surroundings and keep an eye on others boaters both while driving and riding. At some point you will be riding and have another boat right behind you in a narrow slough. Just make sure the driver of their boat is paying attention when you fall and you are fine. Do not power turn. Its sometimes easier/ safer to let your rider fall, pull your boat to the side of the slough letting the boat/rider behind you pass and then turn around for your rider in some sports. This all depends on you and the other boater though.

Wakeboarding down RailRoads and Vics is a must. Watch the patterns everyone else is driving. In regards to Vics/North canal everyone drives a counter clockwise rotation around those. Pretty sure Rails Roads is the same way.

Union Point is a great spot to eat some lunch and just relax for a bit as well.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-31-2015, 7:33 AM Reply   
Hey guys if you want to venture out from Db are towards Stockton hit us up. We are out of Whiskey Slough and has a different feeling than over by DB. There are several places to eat closer to stockton if you wants to venture around the delta.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-31-2015, 8:24 AM Reply   
Thanks man.

Text me when you're on the water on saturday or sunday and maybe we can meet up. We mostly ride Victoria Slough and eat at Union Point.

510-931-9895

This is us.
Attached Images

Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-31-2015, 8:34 AM Reply   
Scuba - PM sent
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       07-31-2015, 9:06 AM Reply   
Waffles at boardwalk grill!!! To die for!!!! Dont eat the Chinese restuarnt!! If you see a rope swing,use it. In california they are becoming extinct due to tree line so it's cool to play on 1.
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       07-31-2015, 10:06 AM Reply   
This might give you a better idea of everything.

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-31-2015, 11:11 AM Reply   
hahahaha! Nice!
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       07-31-2015, 11:59 AM Reply   
This is quick breakdown of the map thanks to Migs, but I added a few things as well.

1. Orwood Resort/Marina - Is the red dot above(and to the left) of Discovery Bay. Orwood has a GREAT restaurant Bfast, Lunch & Dinner right on the launch ramp. They also have a small store & gas on the water. This is probably the best restaurant anywhere around Discovery bay. The line to launch here can get long to put your boat in/pull out. Please dont leave a truck unattended at the ramp or leave your boat tied up/floating in the way. Just makes the wait longer for everyone and becomes a headache.

When you pull out of Orwood and head South towards Discovery Bay this area sees A LOT of traffic and is a No Tow Zone. Also as you come up on Disco it turns into a 5mph/No Wake Zone around that corner. This area sees a lot of traffic with boats heading out and coming back in. Be careful and watch out. Huge 25'+ size boats with massive wakes, small fishing boats doing 50mph and idiot boaters all collide in this section.

Once you get past the light house its open enough to start riding if you want. Just watch for boat traffic, but this is one of the widest arms so it will get choppy if the wind picks up.

2*. The famous "RailRoads" which are 2 straight sloughs to wakeboard on with a railroad track in the middle splitting them. You've seen this spot in every mag, video part and web edit. It's part of California Wakeboarding history. When the winds are dead this spot is amazing. On the right days you will probably see a few Pros riding down it. It is a narrow slough so please.. No WAKE SURFING here. On the Western start of the Rail Roads, is a nice quiet cove to anchor & chill/swim/ hang out in between sets.

3. Ski Beach. Im sure you have heard (if not search Instagram under #skibeach) - tons of boats anchor & beach on this little beach island & party hard. Its kinda like spring break there every weekend. NOTE - Do not beach your boat on ski beach! If you plan on hanging out there - anchor out off the beach. When the tide gets low & you beach your boat - you risk getting your boat stuck on the beach & will have to wait until high tide arrives to get out. On big weekends you can watch the boat traffic from Orwood head strait there.

4. Union Point is a restaurant on the water & also one end of Vics. If you bring your own food you can dock up here, use the restroom and hang out. They have great food and beers as well so its worth eating there and supporting them to stay open.

5*- Vics slough is another "Delta Staple" in the history of California Wakeboarding. This is the BEST PLACE to wakeboard on the delta(notice how long & straight Vics is). Same as Railroads, NO WAKE SURFING here.

***On railroads & Vics - they both have 2 sloughs with land splitting the 2 lanes. Those lanes are 1 way only. So just like on a road, the lane on the right goes one way & at the end you turn around & head down the other way to come back.

6- Rivers End Marina is another spot to launch on the Delta if you are coming from Tracy. This is a very STEEP Launch ramp. They have a small store with the basics as well.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       07-31-2015, 3:21 PM Reply   
Nice write up steve!
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       07-31-2015, 3:35 PM Reply   
Thanks Red! But I have to give credit to Migs who had most of that written, I just added on some things and drew the map based on something he sent me.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-31-2015, 9:40 PM Reply   
Question for Railroad regulars.

How do you guys deal with the 5 mph sign on the Old River side Railroad bridge?

Do you stop? Do you drop the rider every time you come full circle?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-01-2015, 10:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak4life View Post
Question for Railroad regulars.

How do you guys deal with the 5 mph sign on the Old River side Railroad bridge?

Do you stop? Do you drop the rider every time you come full circle?

Keep riding. That 5mph isn't a legal sign enforced by the sheriff. Granted if your not paying attention and being a DB and a cop sees you your likely to get yanked on something but if no one is around it's fair game to keep plowing on.

Typically if it's wide open we roll through and if there's any big rigs or Los of traffic we just head the opposite way and keep riding.
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-01-2015, 10:27 PM Reply   
Scott wonder if you're in the group that rolled in with three boats across the bay?

Steve summed up the area great! Don't blast past Union point though the dock is open to wakes, so everyone slows well before it. If you head into Brentwood (off the water) hit 'La Costa' for Mexican and 'Pho Vietnam' for Vietnamese, Aldino's is good for pizza in DB and the Steak house Bar menu is good, we get the cheese steaks to go. Safeway makes deli sandwiches, but their painfully slow. Also, Livermore is the oldest wine valley in the state you're looking for those kind of things.

Cheers,
DC

Last edited by denystaucd; 08-01-2015 at 10:28 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-02-2015, 9:23 AM Reply   
Ak - on either end of railroads, I exit with a slight veer to the right & look towards the bridge - if it's clear I go left & proceed under. If not I just head right until the rider falls or drops the handle.
Old     (lashburn1)      Join Date: Oct 2014       08-02-2015, 10:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
This is quick breakdown of the map thanks to Migs, but I added a few things as well.

1. Orwood Resort/Marina - Is the red dot above(and to the left) of Discovery Bay. Orwood has a GREAT restaurant Bfast, Lunch & Dinner right on the launch ramp. They also have a small store & gas on the water. This is probably the best restaurant anywhere around Discovery bay. The line to launch here can get long to put your boat in/pull out. Please dont leave a truck unattended at the ramp or leave your boat tied up/floating in the way. Just makes the wait longer for everyone and becomes a headache.

When you pull out of Orwood and head South towards Discovery Bay this area sees A LOT of traffic and is a No Tow Zone. Also as you come up on Disco it turns into a 5mph/No Wake Zone around that corner. This area sees a lot of traffic with boats heading out and coming back in. Be careful and watch out. Huge 25'+ size boats with massive wakes, small fishing boats doing 50mph and idiot boaters all collide in this section.

Once you get past the light house its open enough to start riding if you want. Just watch for boat traffic, but this is one of the widest arms so it will get choppy if the wind picks up.

2*. The famous "RailRoads" which are 2 straight sloughs to wakeboard on with a railroad track in the middle splitting them. You've seen this spot in every mag, video part and web edit. It's part of California Wakeboarding history. When the winds are dead this spot is amazing. On the right days you will probably see a few Pros riding down it. It is a narrow slough so please.. No WAKE SURFING here. On the Western start of the Rail Roads, is a nice quiet cove to anchor & chill/swim/ hang out in between sets.

3. Ski Beach. Im sure you have heard (if not search Instagram under #skibeach) - tons of boats anchor & beach on this little beach island & party hard. Its kinda like spring break there every weekend. NOTE - Do not beach your boat on ski beach! If you plan on hanging out there - anchor out off the beach. When the tide gets low & you beach your boat - you risk getting your boat stuck on the beach & will have to wait until high tide arrives to get out. On big weekends you can watch the boat traffic from Orwood head strait there.

4. Union Point is a restaurant on the water & also one end of Vics. If you bring your own food you can dock up here, use the restroom and hang out. They have great food and beers as well so its worth eating there and supporting them to stay open.

5*- Vics slough is another "Delta Staple" in the history of California Wakeboarding. This is the BEST PLACE to wakeboard on the delta(notice how long & straight Vics is). Same as Railroads, NO WAKE SURFING here.

***On railroads & Vics - they both have 2 sloughs with land splitting the 2 lanes. Those lanes are 1 way only. So just like on a road, the lane on the right goes one way & at the end you turn around & head down the other way to come back.

6- Rivers End Marina is another spot to launch on the Delta if you are coming from Tracy. This is a very STEEP Launch ramp. They have a small store with the basics as well.
Great INFo thanks
Are there Motels/Inns/ Hotels any where on the Water..? we sold our RV so...
Also, why is WakeSurfing Ilegal in certain places? or is all tow activities Ilegal?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-02-2015, 9:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashburn1 View Post
Great INFo thanks

Are there Motels/Inns/ Hotels any where on the Water..? we sold our RV so...

Also, why is WakeSurfing Ilegal in certain places? or is all tow activities Ilegal?

It's not illegal. It's a common courtesy thing. When you wake surf it throw the rollers in the same path as you ride and those rollers are huge. The good wakeboard spots are barely wide enough for 2 boats to run side by side for the most part. Wake surfing in those areas completely destroys it for everyone else. On a wide open lake or the main channels of the delta the rollers have a chance to dissipate and have less impact on the water quality
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-02-2015, 9:26 PM Reply   
Only hotels on the water that I know of is in Sacramento. Not sure if the Hilton is on the water at mandaville. Either way it's an hour plus boat ride between disco and there. There is good water to be had out in those parts as well
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-03-2015, 9:23 AM Reply   
To be honest moving out here 8 mo. Ago almost all the resuarnts suck. People love la costa but it's basically roach coach food. Aladinos is hit or miss never the same. Steakhouse ehh
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-10-2015, 9:37 AM Reply   
Thank you for everyone's advise. It was a huge help! We had a great vacation and would do Discovery Bay again in a heartbeat!