Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-30-2011, 2:56 PM Reply   
Gonna call PP this week but thought I'd see if anyone here had some ideas. I got a new PP Wakeboard Pro a couple months back. only had the boat out thrice since install. First two times it worked flawlessly for maybe 3-4 hours first time and 2-3 hours second time. I was out today for about 6 hours and the display kept randomly going blank. It would have a line across it and if you hit the on/off the line would move positions. Note that it still worked and controlled the throttle fine when the display was blank, and hitting up or down would adjust the speed... But you couldn't tell what the speed was set at which was problematic since between our crew we were riding 20-22 MPH. If I turned the engine off and started it again the display would come back, for a while, then go blank again. We just dealt with it and kept riding since it was holding speed fine.

I tapped power off my ignition switch for key on +12v. All my other gauges were working fine and no other issues. Voltage on my gauge was steady around 14v. I tried unplugging all the connections off the control module and putting them back, no change. I was debating running a relay off the ignition switch and connecting PP power straight to my battery switch but doubt that would change anything since everything else off the ignition switch was fine.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Hopefully it's something simple, but I'm thinking the display may be defective since aside from the display blanking it held speed fine and would adjust faster/slower.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-30-2011, 3:29 PM Reply   
I have the exact same issue Cory - will be watching this thread with interest
Old     (Ridesteady)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-31-2011, 9:05 AM Reply   
Hey Cory,

I can't speak to PP's exact design, but displays in general are susceptible to electrical noise. They actually have fairly high frequency data going over the wire, and it only takes one bit to be mis-intrepreted by the display to cause it to stop working until the power is reset.

At the same time, boats are fairly 'noisy' environments, especially when you start adding stereos, pumps, etc. to the power lines.

It sounds like you've connected the PP to the ignition switch, which is a good place to put it. However, if you're having problems with the display going out, I would try connecting it directly to the battery via a fairly decent sized wire (you could probably use some good speaker wire). If the problem goes away, I would hook up a relay just as you suggested.

VERY IMPORTANT: Be sure to put a fuse (5A or so) on the 12V wire close to the battery (even when just testing). You need some short-circuit protection in there since you're connecting directly to the battery!

HTH!
Justin
Old     (Ridesteady)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-31-2011, 9:12 AM Reply   
One more thing: Just for good measure, try re-seating the display connector to make sure you have a good connection on all pins (if you haven't already...)
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-31-2011, 12:55 PM Reply   
Is there anyway to shield the power and/or display leads? I do have my amps up under my dash, so there could be a lot of noise, though I was careful to use high quality shielded wiring...
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-31-2011, 2:59 PM Reply   
I called PP earlier this afternoon, described the problem, and the gentleman I spoke with is sending me a new display. No hassle, no charge. Hopefully this will fix it.

Derek, I don't have any fancy stereo amps or other electronics. Just a set of normal gauges and a depth finder. Not much going on to cause a lot of interference. Not sure if that helps any though.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-31-2011, 3:19 PM Reply   
Please let us know if that fixes it Cory. If it is a cable shielding problem, the new display may have the same trouble.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       06-08-2011, 4:36 PM Reply   
Just an update... Got the replacement display on Monday and put it in Monday evening. Seems to power up and display fine while sitting on the trailer. It's not looking promising for a crew to get on the water this weekend, but I'll update whenever I do get on the water next. So far I can't say anything negative about PP customer service. They have been helpful and fast on shipping the replacement gauge, a no hassle experience. Hopefully this fixes my problem!
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       06-12-2011, 5:50 AM Reply   
Got out yesterday, and have the same problem with the new gauge. I kept the wire for the gauge farther from any other wiring than last time, but no difference. After running for 10-15 minutes the gauge goes blank with a single thin line through it. Makes no difference if PP is engaged or system off and just cruising around. Hitting buttons on the gauge makes it blink and the lines will change around a bit but it's basically just blank with a line through it. I'm getting frustrated. Will call PP tomorrow and see what the next step is. I hope this gets resolved, because it's unacceptable from a $1000 product.

Last edited by cadunkle; 06-12-2011 at 5:53 AM.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-12-2011, 6:18 AM Reply   
Mine worked perfect for the first few years, but recently I've been having the same issue as you describe. My issues started last year, but it was doing something a little different than it is now. I store my boat outside, but always keep it covered well. If I head to the lake after a good rain, or when the humidity is very high, I would have the issues you are describing. Perfect Pass would still work, but the display would be blank.

After a few hours on the water with the sun out everything would dry out and the display would start working again. However, a couple times this year I've gone out on hot dry days with low humidity and had something similar happen. The display would work fine for a while and then intermittently stop working off and on throughout the day. I haven't really dug into the issue yet since I had thought it was humidity related, but now that it's happening on dry days I suppose I'm gonna need to dig into it.
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-12-2011, 6:44 AM Reply   
I too had the same problem. I fixed the display this weekend and thought I would share what I did.

When I called PP, I describe the same problem... I have a 2007 MC X15 and my orginial screen was a greenish yellow display. PP told me that the this screen and its cord were the source of the problem. PP had a change over in display screens in 2007 because my buddies X15 is the same year model and has the current display screen which has a white-ish blue screen color.

I bought PP's latest screen and cord from PP and had my father-inlaw sodder the cord to the circuit board. The display is awesome and works great.

Thank you Erin at Perfect Pass for the parts and the info about how to fix my boat!
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-12-2011, 11:06 AM Reply   
Just did an 07 nuatique on friday.Just like Zack's boat had the green screen and the updated/newer one is bluish grey. Fixed the problem..as usual. I replace ALOT of these screens. I would call it a common issue with the perfect pass system. The other ones that fail alot are the malibus that have the analog tach built in with the perfect pass gauge. PP is a great system they are always very helpful. Their screens fail if its under the warranty period they will hook you up. If its not you will have to pay for a new one.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       06-19-2011, 9:34 AM Reply   
Called PP this week and they said first try unplugging the servo motor and see if it still blanks out. This would be testing for that picking up interference from the engine compartment.

Also said try disconnecting power to my depth finder, and new plug wires.

I put new Mallory 8mm plug wires on it the other day since the old wires looked, well, old... but have not been on the water since then. It's like pulling teeth trying to find two other people to get on the water. Hopefully I'll get out next weekend to test.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       06-26-2011, 11:45 AM Reply   
Well I couldn't find a crew to ride this weekend but I went out today just to cruise around and troubleshoot the PP. Seemed to work fine, display didn't blank out at all in about 2.5 hours of running. Previously it would do it anywhere from 10-20 minutes. It was really rough and lots of tug and cargo ship traffic so I had to work the throttle a bit with all the big wakes, but I still ran with PP engaged for a bit and it had no trouble either engaged or not. In other news PP doesn't hold speed very well when your boat is in the air.

So I think I got it licked. My old plug wires were really crappy looking and quite thin compared to the new Mallory Marine 8mm wires. So I'd say anyone else having this problem if your wires aren't relatively new or you don't know when they were last replaced give that a try.

On a side note I recently replaced the carb and went leaner on the jetting. Boat is running great and even with a few WOT blasts I seem to be around 5 GPH. I was pleasasntly surprised it did so well with a 454 and a double pumper carb. Did about 50 miles today.