Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Wgetty8885)      Join Date: Sep 2016 Location: Oregon       02-07-2017, 6:10 PM Reply   
Anyone have any information as far as places to ride? I am considering moving here and am curious. I am from OR and not familiar with Yakima. The map looks like the columbia but what about the Naches or anything else? Thanks!!!
Old     (Talonsorensen)      Join Date: Apr 2012 Location: Gig harbor Washington       04-12-2017, 9:21 PM Reply   
Im in Ellensburg for school we ride on the columbia.. used to have access to a private lake in Selah but owners said no more because they had friends use the lake and someone got hurt...
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-31-2017, 1:16 PM Reply   
Can't tell you much about Naches other than it will probably be pretty cold. It's very close to the mountains.

Your best bet is where we are on Lake Wanapum (Columbia river). Its a little over an hour from Yakima. It's popular but very large so it can handle a lot of traffic. Weather is really nice in the summer and usually quite warm. The water is pretty chilly until after mid July but doable with minimal wet suit gear. From Yakima the closest boat launch is Vantage WA. About 8 miles up lake is a big sandbar that is a fun hang out and gets really rockin on the holiday weekends. We are up lake about 15 miles at Crescent Bar which has lots of lodging and restaurants. Check it out, I think you'll like it.
Old     (chad23)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-03-2017, 9:31 AM Reply   
If you start from yakima, you have a couple options out of town so i'll list off the options.

1) About 2 hours away outside of Moses Lake, you can ride the Potholes reservoir. Huge area with more fisherman than skiers. Always good water to be found. Late season, the water can get a little dirty, but early season it's hard to beat.

2) Vantage, WA (or even Desert Aire which is a little lower south) on the columbia river is about an hour and a half from Yakima. Pretty common area for people to go since it is easy access. Crescent bar sounds like it can become more of a party atmosphere than a riding spot, but that's just what I have heard. The river is huge though, so you can always get away from people.

3) About an hour and fifteen away, you can ride the Columbia River that passes through Tri Cities (Richland, Kennewick, Pasco). The river traffic is hit and miss, but from what I've seen, there are ALOT of fisherman and wakesurfers on the weekends.

4) About an hour and a half away is the Snake River, which intersects the columbia just south of Pasco, WA. Typically less boat traffic than the columbia, and lots of places to find good water.

Let me know if you make your way to Tri Cities,

Chad
509-945-1025
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-05-2017, 1:23 PM Reply   
I've been to number 3 and 4 on the above list...

Number 3, My Dad lives in Richland near the boat launch in Leslie Groves Park on Snyder Street. When I come to town we ride north of the boat launch but downstream from where you see a smallish concrete spillway returning irrigation water to river.. Give upstream islands a very wide berth. Water is very nice here, you only have to wait 30 seconds or so after a passing boat and the water is pristine again. Water depth ranges from 8 to 12 feet depending upon how much water the damns are releasing.

We tend to stay on the right side of the islands here: https://goo.gl/maps/TqFkh1iXVzu

Don't go any further North unless you know the river. Going south on the river I don't go past the 395 Kennewick/Pasco bridge.

Number 4 is the reservoir behind Ice Harbor damn. There is a camp ground there and small marina. I don't like the riding there as much as number 3 and this is further away if you are coming from Yakima.