Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old    herbman            08-30-2005, 5:04 PM Reply   
Hey folks.... I am at a crossroads. I have a 1987 Mastercraft Prostar 190 that I love dearly, and has provided me with years of great service. I am ready for some more wake however, especially since taking a ride behind an old Sport Nautique on Lake Ocoee in TN. last weekend. I use a Fly High pole, and have not used any ballast on the boat yet. I am Intermediate to say the least, and have a 500lb Launch Pad coming in before this weekend.. I am pondering selling the Mastercraft and getting either an 88 Barefoot Nautique, a 2001 (Late 80's), or a Prostar 250... What would you recommend? Anyone out there on a 87-90'ish Prostar 190? What mods have you done to make it more of a wakeboarding boat? I have thought about just getting the Ballast and a tower for my existing boat, as it is really great, or getting one of the above boats instead.. Any feedback is appreciated... Oh yea, please post pics of your "old boats" here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old    herbman            09-01-2005, 4:53 AM Reply   
btt
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-01-2005, 7:17 AM Reply   
94 sport. 1300lbs. 900 in back with the seat out 400 in locker. Skylon pole. Haven't tried adding more weight but could go more. That weight with 4 people in the boat is great.

Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-01-2005, 9:26 AM Reply   
Just like me, we have a great boat, just getting of age. Mine is a "93. Hull i great condition, origional interior, and a strong running 351, with 1200 hrs, that starts 99.9% of the time. Just so versatile. I instaled a Skylon Swoop tower, board racks, and speakers with 1500Watts. To ski and skate it's the BEST. To wake board I have tried many ways of weighing it down. I usuall carry 700# of lead while local, add 2- 250#, or 2- 350 sacs, and sometimes even more. These boat sure can handel the weight. A 2' wake is easy to get with this boat. And as for surfing, sac the corner. I am though thinking of selling....had to do..but am looking at the 1999 Supra Launch..
Old    herbman            09-01-2005, 6:50 PM Reply   
Both boats look great... I have observed one thing.. Except for the Tristar's, the Mastercraft boats just seem to have a more "sleek" look, while the 80's and early to mid 90's Correct Craft boats seem to have hulls more suited to wakeboarding... I love the look of my old Prostar, but time and circumstances will tell if I buy another boat, or just spend a few extra dollars to upgrade the Mastercraft into what I need... I have went from pontoon and bass boats as a kid, to waverunners in the 90's, to a little 302 Ski Tique Correct Craft to my current ride.. Had nothing but fun and great times as a result of being careful and staying with good brands... Any more pics from folks with "old boats"?
Old    mrhappy133            09-02-2005, 2:55 PM Reply   
Hay Matt got any pics of your boat?
Rich
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-02-2005, 3:55 PM Reply   
My friend has an early 90's Barefoot Nautique. It is a v-drive with a huge big block. It is closed bow, and has a really really deep hull. He has a tower, and some custom ballast in the back (he made some carpeted boxes for some sacs to go and wired two pumps). Some static weight up front, about 300lbs I think? Additionally, he sometimes puts a waterbed mattress on the floor in the middle. The boat handles wonderfully, especially with the Perfect Pass he had installed a season or two ago. The wake is big, super steep and really boots you up. If you like a steep wake, then perfect boat. I'm not a hug fan of hella steep wakes, but its still a lot of fun. I believe Nautiques are often characterized with having steep wakes. It has more room and better wake than a 2001 imo.

Prostar 205's are awesome!!! The open bow factor is a huge plus. I'm not sure how many people you ride with or if you have a big family, but its really nice to have the open bow. You can majorly weight them down and produce a pretty amazing wake. I'm trying not to be biased, but if I had a choice between the Barefoot and the 205, I'd go with the 205.

People swear by the SN 2001's and MC 205's. Either way you will probably be happy. Each boat has a very faithful following. Hopefully this helps a lil, good luck :-)