Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-08-2015, 5:58 PM Reply   
Currently have the Audiobahn AEQ6Q. Previous owner purchased it for $55 in 2006. I'd buy the same thing, but looks like it's been discontinued.

Looking for something comparable, so I could just swap it out with minimal fuss.

Thanks in advance!

Old     (rasorjb)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-08-2015, 6:10 PM Reply   
I've got an Exile ZLD that I absolutely love. You could swap it out with almost zero hassle compared to what you already have. Not quite as cheap though. An upgrade for sure though. I don't even have my head unit hooked up anymore. I just have my iPhone plugged into my ZLD. Zone control is nice too when you don't want the tower speakers blasting.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-08-2015, 6:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Zone control is nice too when you don't want the tower speakers blasting
Yeah, that's definitely a must have. With this current EQ, that works by fading between front and rear, where rear is tower and front is interior.

I really don't have any issues with the features of this EQ. The problem is hissing audible at low volume, and ear drum shattering cracking from NVS tower speakers when adjusting the fader. Otherwise everything works, but the hissing and cracking needs to stop.

I'm guessing it's the EQ, but I'm actually not sure.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-08-2015, 6:25 PM Reply   
Wet Sounds EQ choices , Kickers Zone control, ect... Look into each one full functionality and compare.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-08-2015, 6:26 PM Reply   
If the hissing and cracking occur when your messing with the knobs or bumps, you may have found your culprit.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-08-2015, 6:38 PM Reply   
The Wet Sounds WS-420 gives you master volume, like you have now. Sub volume and true dual zone control, not fade. Its also a dual EQ all for the same price as the ZLD which is only a single EQ.

If all you need or want is basic zone volume control, you cant beat the Kicker ZXM-RLC. Its a 9V per chnl line driver, so its better than jut a basic line level POT.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-08-2015, 9:33 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info, guys. It's definitely helping me narrow down my options.

The 9V output on the Kicker ZXM-RLC is nice, but giving up the other EQ features, plus having to run cable, while paying more, is a deal breaker for me.

The Exile ZLD and WS-420 are very nice, but at over $300 are more than I want to spend on this, considering the $55 Audiobahn AEQ6Q was fine for me in every way and lasted 9 years. Too bad I can't buy that any more.

The $40 Planet Audio PEQ15 [1] would probably do, but apparently requires a head unit with a remote turn-on lead, which I'm not sure I have, as the Audiobahn AEQ6Q didn't require it (could be powered on with a switched accessory lead).

So I ordered the $80 Clarion EQS746 [2] instead, which supports that setup as well.

Fingers crossed it installs in minutes, cause I'd much rather be on the water beating myself up than screwing around with the stereo!

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Audio-P...dp/B002QUZHXM/
[2] http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-EQS746...dp/B000EZV3T8/
Old     (BradM07SS)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-09-2015, 3:22 AM Reply   
I had the Clarion and it will work great for what you want.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-09-2015, 6:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
The 9V output on the Kicker ZXM-RLC is nice, but giving up the other EQ features, plus having to run cable, while paying more, is a deal breaker for me.
Not trying to argue you didn't make the right decision but what do you mean having to run extra cable?

I just got done installing my kicker unit and its imho the lesser of the 2 evils install wise. You run power and then (2) rj24 cables to your dash. With other options you are usually running multiple long sets of rcas from storage to the dash. I got my kicker for like 70 bucks and was ready to roll. Obviously all of this goes out the window if your amps are right by where you are mounting the eq
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-09-2015, 7:36 AM Reply   
William, I have the wiring in place for the existing EQ, so looking for another one that would plug right in where the current one is.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-09-2015, 8:39 AM Reply   
Alain,

My comments are more toward the question William asked and not an attempt to sway your decision.

Alhough one advantage of the Kicker ZXM-RLC is to be mounted close to the amps in order to keep the RCAs short, with an EQ in place, everything is there, that would be needed to install a Kicker ZXM-RLC.
Main RCA input from head-unit
RCAs back to amps
B+
GND
Turn-on trigger.

So from an electrical standpoint, it would be almost plug-n-play. The only difference would be the 3rd zone volume control for the sub. But there are ways to do that
Old     (rasorjb)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-09-2015, 1:53 PM Reply   
I guess a good question we should have all asked is what kind of components is this EQ going to? We all jumped on the more expensive EQ's. I would argue if he is not pushing a lot of high end HLCDs, he might not need that caliber of EQ. However if the OP IS pushing some high end stuff I don't understand going cheap on this one... IMHO...
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-09-2015, 2:35 PM Reply   
Josh, I'm just looking to replace the existing EQ. If I could buy the same one, I would, as it was 100% fine for my needs. Unfortunately I can't, so I'm looking for the closest thing I can get.

If the existing EQ was a high end unit, then that's what I'd buy, as my primary goal is to get back to a non hissing/cracking setup with minimal effort.

Part of the reason I'm looking to change as little as possible, is that the previous owner who installed the sound system, did a great job. As he did with the automated ballast and everything else he touched. He's one of those guys who does his research and executes like a champ. I'm lucky he sold me his boat. The boat probably doesn't share this sentiment as she was better off under Gordon. LOL! I'm just trying to keep things running as close to how he had them as I can. So if he felt that EQ was fine, then that's good enough for me.

If this $80 Clarion EQ works as well and lasts 9 years like the $55 Audiobahn did, I'll be happy for whomever has this boat after me.
Old     (rasorjb)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-09-2015, 5:08 PM Reply   
Curiously, what does the rest of your system consist of? If you don't mind me asking.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-09-2015, 6:14 PM Reply   
I don't mind at all, but frankly I don't know all of it. How embarrassing.

I'm not near the boat, but I looked through a bag of receipts trying to find the model of the EQ, and some of the other items I found receipts for are:

2 NVS Addictions
Clarion receiver with IPOD interface
Polk/MOMO MM2124 12" 4-ohm sub
Kicker ZX850.2 and ZX400.1 Amps
HSE Revolution volume control

I believe the interior speakers are Polk/MOMO as well, but not sure what amp is powering those -- I'm guessing the two amps above are for the NVS tower speakers and the sub.
Old     (chris_schweda)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-13-2015, 9:49 AM Reply   
I have the clarion it cleaned things upend I have total control it also has the lowest Harmonic distortion of all that I have looked at.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-29-2015, 5:22 PM Reply   
Just to follow up -- the Clarion EQS746 has been working out great. Was easy to install, except it didn't work at first.... Fortunately, it was just a blown fuse. Working great now. No more hissing and cracking. Oh I found the 3rd amp that runs the interior speakers. Also a Kicker.