Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kidrik)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-04-2017, 9:44 AM Reply   
Got my boat back from having Perfect Pass Stargazer installed... and now boat won't start. (turns over but no start) Was fine before install. Also, when I turn my key to the left (accessory mode for stereo) nothing...(was perfectly fine prior to taking it in) Turn the key to the right and all gauges come on etc... Shop admitted having ignition left on for extended periods of time over multiple days...and drained batteries. I've replaced both.
Question is, are these two issues related, and what might have occurred during installation to cause each? Thanks for any suggestions... I've been off the water way too long over this and haven't even been able to test out or use my new Perfect Pass set up!!!

Last edited by kidrik; 07-04-2017 at 9:46 AM. Reason: forgot a word
Old     (lipslide08)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-04-2017, 11:33 AM Reply   
Ignition fuse maybe
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-04-2017, 1:04 PM Reply   
Could be your kill switch.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-04-2017, 2:51 PM Reply   
Stargazer is such an easy install that there is not much that could cause that. Perhaps a line was disconnected or pulled loose while they were working. Check plugs at the distributor and near the ignition switch and gauges. Loss of battery power should not affect it.
Old     (kidrik)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-04-2017, 3:17 PM Reply   
Thanks guys... Will check all of those suggestions... Not really good with electrical issues, etc. and assume there are two separate wires for each "accessory" position (key left vs key right)?
The video of install did look relatively easy, and I looked for areas that could have gone wrong...
But the two issues aren't related correct? I will try and figure this out tomorrow... time to go do something I AM good at... drinking beer. Happy 4th to all.

Thanks for the input!
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-04-2017, 9:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrik View Post
Thanks guys... Will check all of those suggestions... Not really good with electrical issues, etc. and assume there are two separate wires for each "accessory" position (key left vs key right)?
The video of install did look relatively easy, and I looked for areas that could have gone wrong...
But the two issues aren't related correct? I will try and figure this out tomorrow... time to go do something I AM good at... drinking beer. Happy 4th to all.

Thanks for the input!
If it ran before you took it to them, I would say they caused it.
Old     (kidrik)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-04-2017, 10:36 PM Reply   
My sons and I were out the day before with zero issues! I was definitely a little nervous when I dropped it off, in that I felt the stress of the owner as he seemed anxious and told me of his "17" appointments that day... however, the shop came recommended and I trusted that. The part that upsets me most is that not once in the past eleven days since my appointment has anyone contacted me about helping or prioritizing this problem... I've had to initiate each and every phone call and drop in face to face... as if I'm imposing on them. I just dropped a !@#$ load of money, and for what was meant to improve my overall experience on the water, has ended up keeping me away from it...
They have been closed for the holiday, and I was supposed to hear back from the owner about a potential resolution, but not a word... Cheers
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-05-2017, 6:41 AM Reply   
One more thing, why did they have the ignition on for extended periods of time? Listening to the stereo? Didn't bother charging it back up?
Old     (kidrik)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-05-2017, 8:50 AM Reply   
Overbooked? Why not finish one project or appointment at a time, check that everything works correctly, and be done with it... I called them after a failed launch attempt, and he told me to just throw it on a trickle charger and you should be all good... No sorry, no offer to correct or help. Took forever, and when I finally was charged up, boat still didn't start and no power on the accessory only position...
Left a message again this morning... We'll see? On vacation and watching my boat sit in the driveway...
Old     (splitboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2012       07-05-2017, 12:28 PM Reply   
Go out and remove one plug wire put a screwdriver in the wire boot and hold the screw driver very close to the tip of the plug as you crank the engine . You should see a spark. If not it has to do with the hot wire going to the coil or distributor.
The fact that the engine turns over proves all of your fuses are good and your ignition switch is good.
I bet they don't have the "Hot" wire on the correct terminal on the perfect pass. Is the engine getting fuel? If its carbed remove the spark arrestor and add a VERY small amount of gas to the carb. Then crank it and see if it turns over.
Not sure how to verify fuel is getting to an injection system but try to verify fuel to the engine

Why did you replace batteries? Age? Just because they were drained didn't destroy them

And, does your boat have a kill switch? Did you check it? I've lost a day on the water because the kill switch was in the off position and I just knew my motor was broken
Old     (kidrik)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-05-2017, 3:20 PM Reply   
Thanks! No kill switch... and yes, I replaced the batteries because one was 5 years old and I just wanted a fresh start, as I just picked this boat up a few weeks ago...

It's being checked out as I type by the local Marine shop who referred me to the install place...

After dropping it off, I went to another shop (where I guess this boat has been many times for service) and the the owner was amazing... I already have an appointment with him for this Monday for a preventative check, but I wanted to pick his brain on this issue. He explained that he thinks it is the purple wire to the ignition. He said its turning but I'm not getting spark, which I think is the same as what you were just laying out... Maybe they crimped a wire, bad ground or like you mentioned, wrong terminal...? It sounds like that is the cause for "both" issues... So regardless of what I hear today, it sounds like this coming Monday I'll be all good! Should be interesting on who covers the bill today...

Thank you for all of your responses.