Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-20-2012, 8:22 AM Reply   
I have been around this forum plenty long enough to know that this is a terrible idea... But ... it's January here in the Chicagoland area on a less than desirable snowfall season. So... here goes:

After watching The Art of Flight and Defy countless times the past couple weeks I have been arguing with myself which sport is cooler. I have been around wakeboarding my entire life and also spent some time living in Steamboat Springs Colorado snowboarding non-stop. I have my answer, but before I give it up... whats yours?
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-20-2012, 8:32 AM Reply   
Both are the bees knees...
Old     (KGar11)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-20-2012, 8:36 AM Reply   
^I second that^
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-20-2012, 8:45 AM Reply   
looking at the title I thought it was going to be Cisco starting this thread....... since it wasn't I will proceed haha

both are awesome...... so if you're going to answer the question you have to look at the parts of both that suck.

I love wakeboarding. It's a past time that has been so good to me. But part of me hates the wake industry when it comes to products. The inflation on boats is unreal. Axis came in as a price point boat but even that didn't last very long. The fact that so much of the product when it comes to boards is owned by the same company. Maybe I'm just a bit choked that company wakeboards is dead. Those were the innovators. Even the wake clothing lines steal from last years snowboard stuff.

I love the people I've met through wakeboarding too. There's some unreal bros out there in the wakeworld. Even the pros are bros.

Snowboarding is always a good time but I hate the cold haha. There's nothing like waking up on a warm, glassy morning and heading to the dock. Snowboarding will never give me that feeling.

If you can max out your favorite part in each and minimize the sucky parts both are a great time.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-20-2012, 8:47 AM Reply   
Which sport is cooler?

I could care less how cool a sport is perceived to be, but I can say I prefer the one that usually occurs at 70+ degrees and involves boating.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-20-2012, 8:47 AM Reply   
I suppose snowboarding is cooler because of its greater variety or terrain/environments. Backcountry snowboarding is badass. That said, I enjoy wakeboarding a lot more. I think it's more fun, at least for me.
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-20-2012, 8:50 AM Reply   
Matt, cooler was a bad choice of words. I don't want the "legitness of grabs" to be a factor in this discussion. More along the lines of what you and Dwight are talking about. I'm all about the warm weather aspect!
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-20-2012, 8:54 AM Reply   
I actually snowboarded for the first time last year and just got back from a 3 day trip this year. I love both sports but I can honestly say I found snow boarding to be MUCH MUCH easier than Wake boarding. Maybe I am wake boarding wrong, (most likely) but I felt so much more comfortable on the snow and within an hour had my turns down and starting jumps. By the end of the days I was able to do things on a snow board I can't do on a wake board (i.e....ride switch and 180 jumps.) Maybe just tried them more on the snow board so hence I got them down but I still can't do 180's on a wake board.

So I vote snow, but only cuz I found it easier. The boat is amazing and it was said on this thread about the warm and seeing glass, that is hard to top. So, uggg did I just talk myself out of saying I liked snow better....maybe I just did!! Aaahhhhhh HOW do you even decide!

Can of worms just got opened I think!
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-20-2012, 8:57 AM Reply   
That's too bad Kevin because the legitness of grabs and spins on rails is brutal in this sport too

wakezeach.com is a well needed site. kudos to whoever started it.

grabs should be center of the board on heel and toe edges as well as tip and tail.

spinning more than 90 degrees (especially in the middle of a rail) is not stylish either. is it a boardslide or 5050 people? can't be both!!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-20-2012, 9:03 AM Reply   
I have done both for about 17 years....snowboarded even longer and I do love both.

What pushes wakeboarding ahead for me is the atmosphere of boats, sun, bikini's, cold beers, and hanging out with friends. Seems to be a bit more of a group thing then snowboarding.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-20-2012, 9:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepintoliquid View Post
Matt, cooler was a bad choice of words. I don't want the "legitness of grabs" to be a factor in this discussion. More along the lines of what you and Dwight are talking about. I'm all about the warm weather aspect!
Ah, ok. I just thought the cool comment was going to spark more arguments than discussion. The great part about the midwest is you get to experience both, but that being said I would move in a heartbeat to Florida if I could sell my place for anything close to what I paid for it.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-20-2012, 9:15 AM Reply   
One of the nice things about wakeboarding is that you can take more risks without getting hurt as often. When I wanna learn a new invert on a wakeboard, I huck it and see if I can figure out the rotation. Don't try that on a snowboard! If I was gonna learn a flip on a snowboard, I'd wanna be damn sure I would at least get all the way around on it.

Wakeboarding is nice because it allows me to face my fears without getting bitten. I get hurt almost every time I ride, but I don't get injured, and that gives me confidence to keep pushing myself.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-20-2012, 9:17 AM Reply   
You can't really wakeboard if it is snowing and you can't really snowboard when it is hot.

I think they complement each other.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-20-2012, 9:24 AM Reply   
Snowboarding does little for the upper body. Exercise-wise Wakeboarding is better.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-20-2012, 9:54 AM Reply   
fo sho^
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       01-20-2012, 9:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Snowboarding does little for the upper body. Exercise-wise Wakeboarding is better.
Disagree. Snowboarding is way more exercise for me. Rack up 10-15,000 vertical feet in a day, in a low oxygen climate, pouring sweat inside your jacket and pants and tell me that was easier than taking a 10 min set behind a boat, jumping back in, cracking open a beer, and catching some sun.

I personally love both wakeboarding and snowboarding, but each have their downfalls for me...

Snowboarding: Diggers suck, spin rotation is much different than wakeboarding, and it sometimes gets COLD.

Wakeboarding: Gas/Boat prices are ridiculous, you can't do it alone (except on cable), and if you live in TX... lakes with water in them are scarce
Old     (glwake)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-20-2012, 10:12 AM Reply   
One thing Cisco didn't understand when he made a similar thread is that snowboarding and wakeboarding evolved into skatepark-style sports. Just like freeskiing, inline skating, and bmx did. It's not like wakeboarding turned into snowboarding, because they both became more like skateboarding. Wakezeach is funny, but I don't think we should pretend we have trucks on our boards. Either way, I'm glad they are pushing for a higher standard in our sport. Nelon, Nute, Tail-fish & Tindy have no place in wakeboarding. Japan grabs are cool IMO.

Wakeboarding is becoming more accessible than snowboarding. We can build a world class cable in the mountains, but they can't build a world class mountain with snow in Florida. We can set up indoor wakeboarding at a boat show easier than indoor snowboarding, since the snow will melt inside. A linear cable is cheaper than a pomalift or chairlift. We also don't depend on high precipitation for quality conditions. For these reasons (and more), wakeboarding is better.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-20-2012, 10:14 AM Reply   
Simple - Cold sucks! Summer is awesome + Bikinis + hangin with crew = Wakeboarding is WAY cooler!
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-20-2012, 10:31 AM Reply   
The whole "Bikinis" trump card may be the final decision maker! Love seeing my wife in one vs. snow gear. See in less than 2 hours I flip flopped...wow....
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       01-20-2012, 11:16 AM Reply   
I love both, but each one has it's place. I can enjoy wakeboarding with my family and friends around, thus also enjoying their company. Even the cable park is full of very friendly people. Snowboarding is a smaller number sport, where the people you spend the day with are those of equal skill level, unless you enjoy teaching your significant other on the greens. And maybe its the places I board, but the terrain parks aren't always friendly. (probably because everyone is a little frustrated its freezing cold and they lost their crew on the mountain, and would rather be in board shorts and bikini's, chillin in the sun with brewskies and fat sacs, and the tower speakers blazin.)
Old     (ridersunited)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-20-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   
Why does life always need to be a contest? Why does either one need to be cooler? Can't you just get out, ride and enjoy each sport for their inherent values? Ride wake because there's nothing cooler than chilling with your bros on the best days summer has to offer. Then when it gets cold, shred pow because nothing beats surfing the back country. Leave the contests to the pros. Not trying to be harsh, just my two cents. That's It, That's All!
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-20-2012, 11:37 AM Reply   
I do quite a bit of both and they both have their pros and cons. They are good complements to each other to pretty much ride, whether on snow or water, year-round. When we can't decide, we combine the two:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...tml?1239156126
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       01-20-2012, 11:42 AM Reply   
^^ some sweet pics in that thread.
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-20-2012, 12:18 PM Reply   
Good answer Scott!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-20-2012, 12:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett33 View Post
Disagree. Snowboarding is way more exercise for me. Rack up 10-15,000 vertical feet in a day, in a low oxygen climate, pouring sweat inside your jacket and pants and tell me that was easier than taking a 10 min set behind a boat, jumping back in, cracking open a beer, and catching some sun.
Well, when I wakeboard it can be for up to 2 hours straight with very little breaks in between. You don't have to wait at the cable. At least not at OWC. Second, I don't care how many feet you rack up you won't get much upper body development on a snowboard.

Of course there are other exercise benefits from snowboarding. And yes spending more time doing either is better. But what I like so much about tow watersports is that they are a full body exercise, because the only two contact points are your feet and hands.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       01-20-2012, 12:35 PM Reply   
Being fromTN but living in the Denver area I have this debate pretty often. I always tell people if I could only do 1 for the rest of my life it would be wakeboarding for many of the reasons already mentioned. Sun, beer, and bikinis not necessarily in that order. For,those of you that are talking about waking up to a sunny morning full of glass. Have you woken up to a blue bird powder day where there is about 2 ft of fresh snow to ride? It is up there with a morning filled with glass!
Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-20-2012, 1:41 PM Reply   
I have been wakeboarding for like 5 or 6 years and have loved every minute of it... it fact, I cant wait to get back on the water after winter..

Last year was my first experience with snowboarding and loved it as well..And I did go back this year already,,, and I am planning a trip to st. louis to hit some blown snow closer to home in late Feb. and going to CO....I feel like if you love wakeboarding you will love snowboarding and vise versa.....

I do agree with Dwight that hitting that glass early in the morning and as the sun is going down is a feeling that snowboarding doesn't give me..

I would have to say wakeboarding is my favorite... but I do understand that could be bc I live in Mississippi and to go snowboaring requires a vacation.... as for wakeboarding I can hit the water any day of the week as long as money and work allows..... ha...
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-20-2012, 3:15 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding is more convineient ( lake house). You can do it in the rain, in the cold, in the sun or clouds the lakes always there snow is not. Snowboarding you need cold. You need snow. I have to drive aton. But its way way way more fun theres so much terrain variation, you can ride next to your boys, and its just more fun to do, but also more of a pita.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-20-2012, 3:17 PM Reply   
But are we really just gunna rip what snowboarders find as bad style and plop it into wakeboarding? Cmon wakeboarding is all about switch ups and spins and flips snowboarding more about style and creativity, which wakeboarding has less of IMO. Get off the zeach train unless youre snowboarding
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-20-2012, 3:53 PM Reply   
@simplej your last post is hurtin. All boardsports are about being stylish. Flips/spins need to be stylish. I would much rather see a proper grabbed front 180 than a flailing tantrum anyday. There's no reason wakeboarding should be any less stylish than the other board sports.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-20-2012, 4:04 PM Reply   
No I'm not saying that it isn't
But Chris Bradshaw vs Jed Anderson is way different then say rusty vs Benny g.... There's style it's just not the same. Benny g makes tricks look effortless and grabs tr whole way, as a proper trick should look. And rusty makes tricks look powerful and truly stomps.

Snowboard style isn't just about how a trick looks though it takes a lot more creativity. It's not a dig at wakeboarders. There are rippers with great style. There's just only so much variation that you can get from a wake
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-20-2012, 4:42 PM Reply   
Uh oh, here we go again with the style police
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-20-2012, 6:22 PM Reply   
The whole "Bikinis" trump card may be the final decision maker!
maybe not!
boat-$12,000-100,000
equipment-$300-1,000+
insurance-$500
gas-$1000
truck-$10,000-50,000
more insurance on truck-$500
winterizing fees-$100-500
ramp fees-$0-300
so, it looks like at a minimum the cost of wakeboarding is about $25,000
This would make snowboarding much more appealing, but I Love Wakeboarding!
Old     (steezin4noreason)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-23-2012, 10:13 AM Reply   
Although I love wakeboarding, I think snowboarding wins this one. You have more versatility with snowboarding (different mountains, park, pipe, street, backcountry, etc) and it's far more accessible. Also, wakeboarding as an industry seems to keep itself pretty secluded. Like if you open a snowboarding mag there are always new faces and things going on. Wakeboarding mags have been featuring and promoting the same guys for the past ten years. The opportunity for new blood and progression just doesn't seem to be the same as it is with snow. I don't know if this is lack of coverage outside of Orlando, lack of new talent coming up, or a bit of both.
When I go on snowboarding trips, I meet guys that genuinely love to ride and have jobs as lift operators or snow instructors just to be able to ride as much as possible. The snow culture seems to be a little less about getting something out of it. When I have visited Florida it just doesn't seem to have the same vibe. The wakeboard mentality seems to be more about what riders are going to get out of it than the riding itself and they seem really closed off to unfamiliar faces.

Last edited by steezin4noreason; 01-23-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-23-2012, 8:23 PM Reply   
I don't know boys... Great points... Wake up to a fresh dump of pow, riding in the trees all day, going home getting into the beers and hitting a hot tub in the mountains with bikinis ( drooool) or waking up to the buttery as lake... Get the crew and ride look at some beauty's in the boat... Crush a few beers... I'm just so thankful for the lifestyle... That being said... They both are Bomb and both won't leave my life... It's a win win
Old     (Moose99)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-23-2012, 8:36 PM Reply   
On the basis that snowboarding allows so much unlimited freedom, it wins for me. You can go anywhere on the mountain/hill as opposed to being towed around by boat or cable.
And there's something about the pull of gravity that's a total rush. Can't ever get the same feeling on a wakeboard as straight-lining a hill with speeds of over 80 km/h.
Old     (luke22885)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-24-2012, 8:14 AM Reply   
First off I have never been to Colorado or anywhere out west for snowboarding so this might make me thing differenty since I have only ever snowboarded in the Midwest. I prefer wakeboarding over snowboarding any day of the week due the the people I have met in the the sport. I met a lot of my closest friends through wakeboarding and have never met any wakeboarder that was cocky. I ride with people of all different skill levels and have never once had a time when one of the top riders is not one of the first people up to give a new person as many pointers or tips as possible and ive never heard anyone complain about someone "not being good". Even when not wakeboarding just hanging on the boat with great friends, having a great time makes the whole day fun. On the other hand, this is just my experience, nothing aggravates me more when snowboarding than going over a jump or rail for the first time, not doing very good, and hearing kids on the chairlift making comments or laughing. Its not just the comments directed towards me but any comments i might hear when riding down the mountain.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-24-2012, 9:06 AM Reply   
Totally agree with this^^^

Snowboarders can be pretty self-conscious and insecure in a way that you rarely see in wakeboarding.