Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cdoobie)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-18-2014, 8:23 PM Reply   
My son turns 4 in a week and I think I want to try to get him wakeboarding this summer. He's naturally pretty good at a lot of things for his age so I think he could pick it up. He's small for his age at only 30 lbs. Is it reasonable to start them at this age? If so, any pointers on how to teach him? Also board recommendations? Thanks everyone!
Old     (cdoobie)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-18-2014, 8:25 PM Reply   
I'm sorry, this was meant for the wakeboarding forum, can it be moved?
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       06-18-2014, 9:09 PM Reply   
I start by getting them used to putting the board on and floating with it. I really emphasize to them the board floats and their life jacket will also keep them afloat even if they should go under water for a second.A pool is really best so they aren't intimidated by larger bodies of water, I have also done it at the lake plenty. I teach them to relax when they are floating and to save their energy until the rope starts to pull them.

Then I put the rope in their hands and gently pull the rope by hand . I tell them to bend their knees and try and keep their butts in the water (so they don't fall over the board). As I pull I tell them to push their feet towards me but don't stand up. They are so light they can actually practically get up. Once they are getting the hang of it I intentionally pull them over the board ends up behind them and they are floating on their stomachs. This usually scares the hell out of them and I want them to get used to the sensation and reinforce they are just find and floating. Usually they aren't sting enough to flip the board over by themselves so they may be in this position for a moment. I teach them to extend their bodies as long as possible and throw their elbow, shoulder, and hips back to roll the board over. I usually give them a little help to initiate the roll.

Every kid learns at a different pace. Be patient. Sometimes they just put the board on and don't even get in. Sometimes a few hand pulls and they are done. It's ok, if they do a little or a lot it's still progression. Some kids go an entire summer just doing the steps I listed and never get pulled by the boat. I don't care, I only push them as hard as they are willing to be pushed and want it to be a positive experience.

When they are ready for the boat your driving is huge. They need almost no pop so throttle to hard and you pull them over. To little and they drag undoubtably drinking lake water. Consistency is key. When you get it all together your four year old will be up and riding. Here's mine on a hyperlite motive 109.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403150970.239002.jpg
Views: 1277
Size:  97.5 KB
Old     (Wakebd)      Join Date: Nov 2012       06-19-2014, 7:04 AM Reply   
I have my little boy riding at 4.... I just sit on the back of the boat, and let him ride in the pocket like he's wakesurfing. I have him his own line and handle setup to where he knows it's his turn when it's seen being unrolled. I have practiced a little with him in the shallows as mentioned above. Really concentrate on frorm, and getting the handle around to their lead hip. Start them slow to where the wake doesn't throw such a rooster, then have the driver sweep a short kink. I grab the line overhead and help himto his heelside edge. Then he just rides, and rides....... and rides....... and rides.......and rides. He's now getting more comfortable and trying to "hop". He's also edging out along side the boat heelside. Won't be too long and I can see him wanting me to let the line out.

It's nice to have somebody you trust behind the wheel. Where you can sit on the back of the boat, throw your shades, and dive in if the little grom takes water up their nose. You can also toss the line to them, pull em in, have em hold on to the handle with both hands, and flip em back to their butt when they fall belly down.

I can tell you the smile my little boy has, while riding....... Is priceless!

Last edited by Wakebd; 06-19-2014 at 7:08 AM. Reason: mispell
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-19-2014, 11:37 AM Reply   
my buddies 40lb kid got up at idle...so slow is just fine
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-19-2014, 12:44 PM Reply   
Great advice above. For the past few kids I have taught, I did the above(I think getting them use to floating on their back and stomach is key) and then got in the shallows with them, me standing, them floating with the rope and then when the boat started, I just sort of helped lift them/stand them up, out at the start. Have yet to not have a kid get up like this. After they get use to that, seems deep water starts just come to them.

I made every mistake in the book with my older son, tried to teach him how I learned....and he now has no love for the boat. My daughter, above, can't get enough....

I think any age is fine, as long as it is 100% them pushing it and when they say enough(if it didn't work), you just give positive feedback and say great. Don't push again, until they push it again.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       06-19-2014, 12:52 PM Reply   
My daughter was 5 and we started her in the pool. She was in one end and I on the deck in the other and pulled her up by hand just to get the feel of getting up. Get him in that ball with the knees bent and arms straight and tell em to just stay in that ball works every time for newbies - Stay in the ball!!!

Other good thing about the pool was we were able to have her practice flipping over form her stomach. If you dont have a pool drag them out form shore and then pull them in by hand. Then start with rope way short on boat and soemone in the water with them. They will pop right up.

Good luck
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-19-2014, 2:59 PM Reply   
If he is interested then go for it. I had my daughters and nieces at around that age getting up. Tricks...well, I was just happy they were up and having fun. The one thing they all seemed overly concerned with was other boats...so I always really went out of the way to find quiet spots for them.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-19-2014, 3:50 PM Reply   
When very small I would ride the kiddos on my board in between my legs. I think it helped them get the feel of posture, the tug of the rope and the awsome view of being 70 feet behind an inboard. Plus they loved a few occasional butter slides when mom wasnt looking...
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-19-2014, 9:11 PM Reply   
This is my boy who was 3 last year. As said above get them comfortable in the water with the board on. Flipped on both sides, back and belly. Then I practiced with him pulling the rope so he got the feeling of getting up, then moved on to running up and down the beach with him. We pull him behind a small fishing boat so we can easily go his speed. If he cuts out right away he can ride outside of the wake for quite a while, but if he drifts into the middle of the wake he can not make it out again no matter how hard he tries.
Attached Images

Old     (jtiblier123)      Join Date: Jan 2011       06-20-2014, 6:35 AM Reply   
I would highly recommend looking at Darin Shapiro's blogs. He addresses many of your questions in some of his posts. Start with "5 Do's and Dont's for parents in Wakeboarding" at
www.orlandowakeboardcoach.com

He also gives free instructionals on his other websites. The instructionals are very useful for people just getting into the sport.

www.ridethespot.com
www.darinshapiro.me
www.wakeboardingis.com