Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-05-2015, 6:33 PM Reply   
Fixing to start on the new x80 build and having some trouble deciding on subs. I've narrowed it down to either 2 dd 3515 in a ported box built to spec with a 1200hd jl going to each

Or 4 wetsounds xxxv2 in dual slot ported box with a 1200hd jl going to each.

I'm looking for more spl than sq, I'm wanting base that carries. Last year I started off with 2 kicker L7 15s sealed. Wasn't impressed, pretty sure the box was under sized, switched to 2 re audio 15s in a ported box. The box was a crappy prefab but those things would get nasty. I blew the re audios so I'm skeptical on their quality.

Last year my installs were under the aft port seating firing into the cockpit, this year I plan on doing the install under the aft port and starboard seating firing into the cockpit. I've heard they will cancel them self out, is that true?
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-05-2015, 6:50 PM Reply   
My buddy has 2x13w7's and they slap! The bass resonates through your body.
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-05-2015, 7:19 PM Reply   
I would love to do 13 w7s but I already own 2 1200/1 hd amps and I think that would be under powering the those w7s
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       03-05-2015, 7:43 PM Reply   
I agree on the w7s needing more then 1200 watts unless they were the 1200/1 v2 or v3 slash amps. They are beasts. You will have 25% more surface area going with 4 12s over the 15s. I would go with the 12s assuming you can fit properly ported boxes. I'm anxious to see the install! I remember the last boats had monster systems!
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       03-05-2015, 7:52 PM Reply   
I hear good things about the new Exile Big12! I keed I keed...

I'm no expert by any means, but I remember reading through a thread here awhile back that pointed out an aero port seemed to sound better than the WS dual slot port design. I can't remember which member built both and preferred the aero port.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       03-05-2015, 8:04 PM Reply   
Me and tigeidaho designed the box. I believe it is now on the wetsounds website. May be tough to do the euro port with 4 of them.

Last edited by bryce2320; 03-05-2015 at 8:11 PM.
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-05-2015, 8:26 PM Reply   
Bryce I can fit 4 euro ported boxes Easley. 2 on each side of the boat aft firing into the cockpit. Does the wetsounds put out some serious output? I've never heard one. What's the advantages over the euro port vs dual slot?
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-05-2015, 8:27 PM Reply   
Do you think I'll have a cancelation problem?
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-05-2015, 8:30 PM Reply   
Under seat numbers are 16 3/4 45 22 on each side
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-05-2015, 8:59 PM Reply   
Robby,
About the acoustics.
Two separated subwoofer locations will always have conflicts. Not cancellations like wiring reverse polarity but a fraction of that.
The distances between the two sub sources and point of perception are different which becomes more of an issue at lower, longer waveforms (deep bass). Worse than the distance differential is when the orientation/direction of two subs are different, when one is direct radiating and one is concealed & vented, when one is bass-reflex and one is air suspension, or when two subs interact with their boundaries differently. Separate subs pointing at one another is less advantageous while separate subs on the same plane pointing in the same direction is far better.
You can correct some of these phasing inequities to a point with DSP but it is still a correction that is focused on a very small point of perception, in other words for one occupant.
Sub enclosures concealed in lockers and vented out of the locker experience losses.
You can still get more bass as you add more power and more woofer surface area but the combined efficiency of asymmetrical subs will be diminished. The two will not be twice the one.
The boat will shake like crazy but the tonal construction, attack and transients will suffer.
Is the imperfection day and night? It varies system to system.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       03-05-2015, 9:03 PM Reply   
I've had 2 w7s in huge boxes in my old boat on 1000/1 slash amps. The problem I ran into was when I set the amps with a volt meter, it wasn't enough. So I turned the amps up a bit more which would cause them to shut off on heavy bass material. They were decently loud, but not as loud as I predicted. I didn't want to go with the XXX. I wanted an off the shelf brand with the huge magnets and big wattage handling capacities. Tim talked me into going with the XXX, and I'm very glad I did. As all the wetsounds gear it speaks for itself and you get what you pay for. I wasn't that impressed in the dual slotted box. Not that it's a bad design or anything, but for what I listen to or whatever the cause was, the box using the precision port made it sound like a different sub. No more port noise, and noticeably more spl. I love the XXX. I wish I had room for another one.

Last edited by bryce2320; 03-05-2015 at 9:06 PM.
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-05-2015, 9:12 PM Reply   
They will all be direct radiating. They will also be firing at each other but not directly, the distance between them is probably over 4ft.

So are you saying it will be a waste to add the other 2 David?
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-05-2015, 9:15 PM Reply   
What kind of music are you playing Bryce?
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-05-2015, 9:18 PM Reply   
Also do you think the 1200 hd will be strong enough?
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       03-05-2015, 9:21 PM Reply   
Mainly red dirt country, and 1200 watts is spot on for a XXX IMO.
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-05-2015, 9:24 PM Reply   
What about hip hop pop and and a little dub step?
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       03-05-2015, 9:31 PM Reply   
TJ (Houstonshark) has built a few of these boxes for other boats, and I think he has one in his tige. I'll shoutvat him tomorrow and see if he can give a better review.
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-05-2015, 9:34 PM Reply   
Awesome! Thanks
Old     (BradM07SS)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-06-2015, 4:11 AM Reply   
I would go with the 4 XXX should be loud and sound pretty good. I just got done installing 2 Sundown ZV3 12's in my boat running off Sundown 3500 in 2 seperate 1.6ft aero port boxes tuned to 40hz.. I'm very happy with them.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-06-2015, 6:12 AM Reply   
How do they do in 1.6ft? I would have figured that would have been a little on the small side.
Old     (BradM07SS)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-06-2015, 6:34 AM Reply   
Sundown actually said 1.5 to 1.75 net they love small enclosure's.
Old     (cal2vin)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-09-2015, 6:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by corerider View Post
I hear good things about the new Exile Big12! I keed I keed...

I'm no expert by any means, but I remember reading through a thread here awhile back that pointed out an aero port seemed to sound better than the WS dual slot port design. I can't remember which member built both and preferred the aero port.
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802003

This may be the thread you are talking about. I started it and Bryce came in and shed light on the euro port design. I had it on an audioque 2200 wired to 1 ohm so getting a lot of juice. There was a discussion about port noise in hip hop vs country. Read the thread. I posted some YouTube links of videos I made showing the difference with a subsonic filter on 10 hz vs 40 hz . I just left the subsonic on 40 I believe and listened to only rap and hip hop and I was verryyyyy pleased. Amazing sound. There's probably something that can be done about the port noise that more people can chime in on.

Calvin
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-09-2015, 8:22 PM Reply   
Port noise....

The flanged or radiused port ends help any port, whether rectangular or round.

Not a fan of the dual slot port design. I'm not sure why the cabinet build would be made more complicated. By introducing more wall surface with dual slot ports you increase the overall cabinet displacement. I don't like the ratio of port wall surface to port size. Too much drag.

To lower port noise on a true long excursion woofer I would run a larger port than 4" round. That's only 12.56 sq.in. for a 12-inch sub. Try a 5" port to avoid over-driving the port. That will increase the surface area to 19.63 sq.in. and reduce port velocity. This will cause the port to be longer and will slightly increase the cabinet displacement. Or you can place a portion of the port outside the cabinet.
Old     (BradM07SS)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-10-2015, 4:27 AM Reply   
I wanted to go with a 6" aero port, BUT didn't have enough room in my box for the length of it. So I went with a 4".

A 5" would be perfect but I didn't have any luck finding that size. David do you know of a source?
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-10-2015, 5:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM07SS View Post
I wanted to go with a 6" aero port, BUT didn't have enough room in my box for the length of it. So I went with a 4".

A 5" would be perfect but I didn't have any luck finding that size. David do you know of a source?
Sorry, I do not. Maybe something in PVC? I go with rectangular ports. That was the first round size to get in the neighborhood of 20 sq.in. which I think is a good starting point for a 12-inch sub with lots of Xmax.
So maybe a single 5" round, or two 3.5" round as a distant second.
6" round would seem to be large and make for a very long port.
Even though you can tune a variety of port sizes to the same frequency, I think there is a balance between a large enough port surface area to eliminate noise and not too long of a port that would diminish some of the efficiency benefits of bass-reflex.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-10-2015, 6:40 AM Reply   
david, any thoughts on the merits of the dimpled precision ports (which I think is what people are referring to here when they are discussing "aero" ports?) over the non-dimpled ones?
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-10-2015, 8:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
david, any thoughts on the merits of the dimpled precision ports (which I think is what people are referring to here when they are discussing "aero" ports?) over the non-dimpled ones?
Yes, I am clueless why those dimples make a difference.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-10-2015, 11:13 AM Reply   
I'm pretty sure they are the same concept as dimples on a golf ball (or go-fast bicycle wheels). that the dimples disrupt the flow over the surface or some such thing.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-10-2015, 11:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
I'm pretty sure they are the same concept as dimples on a golf ball (or go-fast bicycle wheels). that the dimples disrupt the flow over the surface or some such thing.
Ah, that must be why they put all those rivets on aircraft.
Old     (viking)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-10-2015, 7:31 PM Reply   
It just makes it sound better just like big tires on a car make it go faster
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-10-2015, 8:14 PM Reply   
I say a "healthy" chick on the beach in a bikini once that was all dimply. I wouldnt call her fast...........easy maybe, but not fast Moral of the story, dimples are always a good thing