Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-07-2017, 7:21 AM Reply   
It's that time up here in the great north to start thinking about winterization. Normally I am a flipper and sell my boats in the fall or the few times I did keep them I dropped them at the dealer for winterization.

Well this year I am going to try and do my cruiser myself. Can't trailer is anywhere and the marina is incompetent and on top of its crooks with their pricing.

Boat is a 35 foot Sea Ray with 350 mercruisers in a straight drive configuration just like an inboard ski boat. These are gen I carbed 260 hp/ 350's. I want to make sure I get it protected. My thought is I want to drain it and then run(or fill) on pink RV antifreeze. I know where the drains are (2 exhaust, 2 block and also do the front hoses). But now when I go to restart on antifreeze the motor is going to be cold, will that stop antifreeze from going into the block? One thought was to just pop the thermostats out, then run it. Another is so pop them out and just fill the block(highest point) until it runs out the exhaust.

The boat is pulled and blocked by the marina and where they store I have access to power, but not water. So warming up to operating temp is not any option.

I know some on here store off site so have the same problem. Whats they best option?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-07-2017, 8:28 AM Reply   
Drain the system of water and the antifreeze will fill the empty the block. Heck, drain it of water and AF is not really needed as air does not freeze and expand anyway. Has the oil been changed and fuel treatment been run through the fuel system?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-07-2017, 10:06 AM Reply   
Yes, Last weekend I did oil and filter, Fuel filters, then put green stability in the tanks and ran everything for about 15 minutes.

My thought with the AF is that all the water never gets out. This way the AF displaces any left over water.

Are you saying fill the block thru the thermostat housing or run it on AF and the block will refill even though its not at a temperature the thermostat would normally open? Common sense says it would refill being empty but a swear somewhere over the years I heard if its not at operating temp the thermostat would be closed and no AF would enter the block instead just bypassing right to the exhaust manifolds and out.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-07-2017, 11:46 AM Reply   
Run an empty engine and the block will fill up with the AF. Just the same as those that dont AF just drain water and then launch boat in spring with empty block. Dont have to have warm thermo up to temp to fill empty block. Full block cold/closed thermo and water does go to exhaust to cool manifold all the time.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       10-08-2017, 6:02 AM Reply   
You also need to drain the recirculation pumps and the trans cooler.
Old     (rockballer)      Join Date: Jun 2014       10-31-2017, 3:39 PM Reply   
Make sure if you store your boat outside that the person who drops it off puts in the poles for the top. This is what I came across after an idiot put my boat away. Needs new cover and the interior was half full. Looks like the drain plugs couldn't keep up. I was away on holidays and couldn't pick it up after dropping it off for winterization and this is what I came back to. FML I have been drying it out for a few weeks now. Fingers crossed no serious damage was done.
Attached Images