Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-18-2021, 10:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaHoosier View Post
couldn't they just use a solar panel and pump anytime during the night or day?
Is that a common backup system? I'm sure it could work with enough battery storage. My buddy's houseboat seems to run OK on solar only (janky system too!), so I'm sure it'd be possible.

But when you guys have PG&E the rolling blackouts, are you still able to pump gas?
Old     (DeltaHoosier)      Join Date: Mar 2018       02-18-2021, 11:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
Is that a common backup system? I'm sure it could work with enough battery storage. My buddy's houseboat seems to run OK on solar only (janky system too!), so I'm sure it'd be possible.

But when you guys have PG&E the rolling blackouts, are you still able to pump gas?
No. They did not have systems in place to do so when they had them in the east bay last summer. What people don't understand and I am not sure it changed recently, but wind mills never made money. They were propped up by government spending and could not make it on their own because they were not cost competitive. Solar? Still on the government tax break scheme. Are they really cost effective? Waste and clean up after the life cycles? Who does that fall too? These "new" solar companies simply will fold up in 10 to 20 and leave the issue to government and more than likely all the individual home owners for extremely dangerous waste.

End of the day, PG&E still has to pay gas plants to be on standby even with all these other things they are required to prop up. Sun and wind are not constant. Sun more than wind, but you still have to pay for the backup like always.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-18-2021, 11:28 AM Reply   
Quote:

I have SMUD. PG&E sucks.
Old     (DeltaHoosier)      Join Date: Mar 2018       02-18-2021, 11:29 AM Reply   
Quote:

Also, when they did not have power, I went over 1/2 a mile and filled up.