Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-06-2013, 6:54 AM Reply   
Hello
I'm going to be studying abroad next January-August in Cape Town and would love to frequent this cable. I've seen some sick videos of Sam Light and others come out of the park and I just have a few questions to anyone who's ridden there before.

1. Is it hard to get to? I haven't been able to find the Cape Town metro routes anywhere?
2. If I can't get there by public transportation...how expensive are taxis? I found a website that listed prices if you planned a route in google maps but a lot of the comments said it was unreliable. (I only ask because I'd hate to get there with my board/stuff and only then discover it takes like a kabajillion dollars to get there)
3. How is it?? I'm so stoked
4. If I wanted to start Kiteboarding is there any camp you could reccomend?

Thanks! Here's a fun video from Cape town as a reward for reading through that lol

from Slingshot Kite on Vimeo.

Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-07-2013, 6:16 AM Reply   
Looking at the site it looks to be 45mins outside CT. Reckon you will need a car. Just buy a banger for the 6 months.
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       10-07-2013, 11:36 AM Reply   
I would post your question on kiteforum.com or better yet kitescoop.com. I know there are a lot of wake style kiters that go there when the wind drops off.
Old     (melan_mobe)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-08-2013, 4:29 PM Reply   
Hey Vinny, tried to send you a PM, doesn't wanna work. Check your 'other' folder on facebook messages, sent you some info.
Old     (johndoe30o)      Join Date: May 2006       10-12-2013, 3:52 PM Reply   
Hey Vinny I went there today for the first time. I am studying in Stellenbosch are you coming here or to UCT? It was my first time ever riding a cable but it was so sick two flat boxes one flat rail a small A frame and a large A frame and two kickers. It is a bit pricey, R460 (46) dollars for two hours but that is also renting gear if you bring your gear I think its more like 20 bucks. You would need a car or to meet people. it is a good haul out and there is no train there. I think UCT has a wake club Stellies does not though. I am stoaked I saw this I havent been on WW in awhile but was amped on riding today and figured I would see what was going on, good timing. Hope that helped let me know if you have any other questions about blue rock or SA.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-08-2013, 8:08 PM Reply   
Sorry I've taken so long to respond but things weren't as concrete when I initially posted as they are now, I'll be living in green point so unfortunately I won't be as close to the park as you are in Stellenbosh Joeseph. I'm not studying with UCT I'm actually doing an Internship with a Social Enterprise Consulting firm called Heart Capital that's located in Woodstock. I'm trying to figure out how to take my board with me, hopefully I'll be wakeboarding often enough that it'll save me money to bring it instead of renting everytime I go lol
looking at the car situation and I understand it'd be Ideal but I don't drive stick :/ and I read a really disturbing account about a series of carjackings I wouldn't wanna be at the tail end of.
In your opinion, how hard would it be to tag along with people heading that direction? are taxi's out of the question?
If you're still going to be in Stellenbosch come January, I'd love to meet up/do some riding/filming!

I also saw that UCT has a watersports club, do you think they'd be open to taking on thirds?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/22591473936/
http://sportsclubs.uct.ac.za/waterski/
Old     (johndoe30o)      Join Date: May 2006       12-22-2013, 5:20 PM Reply   
Hey Vinny I unfortunately just got back to NC. Yeah without driving a stick you wont get a good deal on any wheels. I am not really sure about tagging along I didnt focus too much on riding there so I didnt meet a lot of local riders, But I would think that could be a good option. It is probably too far for a taxi to be affordable. I would look into the UCT club for sure, I know a lot of clubs at stellenbosch were open to anyone.

good luck sorting things out, if you have any questions about SA or Blue Rock shoot me a message, I love talking about it and my friends are tired of listening.

Cheers,
Joey.