Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (amstutz27)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-25-2006, 1:57 PM Reply   
I am currently looking in to building a wakeboard tower for my 199 Supra Comp. I'm just looking for any information and suggestions from people for this project. What materials use, where to get the mounting plates, design ect...
So if anyone has any suggestions, websites to check out, our pictures of their own, that would be great.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-25-2006, 3:37 PM Reply   
look up DIY TOWERS.COM
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-25-2006, 3:40 PM Reply   
I think it's diytower.com, it's real helpful, my tower project is on there.
Old     (drifter1136)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-25-2006, 4:33 PM Reply   
I would check out new dimension towers, They have them for $1799.99. But they have 15% off until the 31st of this month. So the price would be around 1530.00 and they include free shipping. After you figure in designing, materials,labor involved in finding where the best place to mount it. The cost of the pre-made tower would have paid for itself. Just my opinion.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-25-2006, 4:45 PM Reply   
Also, unless the homemade tower is really really well done, it probably depreciates the boat while any well-known tower probably appreciates the boat.
Old     (rivrrunr)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-26-2006, 6:53 PM Reply   
jon- look into 14-18 gauge aluminized exhaust pipe. it works really well. it bends easy(with a pipe bender), comes in a variety of sizes, welds easy, and is extremely rust resistant. thats what i built my tower from and it's super sturdy. any exhaust shop that carries 14 ga. exhaust should also have a bender and could most likely bend it to your exact measurements fairly cheap. i would recomend swivel mounts and joints to releive stress on the fiberglass. "heim" joints work good for that. make sure you look into other peoples homebuilts before you decide on a design for yourself. i've seen towers that need a lot of extra bracing because of a bad design. check out www.diytower.com. a powder coated, properly built tower is no different from a $2,000 tower except for the logo!
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-26-2006, 7:47 PM Reply   
wow I remember when a few years back a thread like this would have tons of response, advice, and "I built my tower like" this words. Wakeworld I've been here too long!
Old     (rob_kc)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-26-2006, 8:01 PM Reply   
Sweet profile pic jeffrey!
Old     (cool_dude)      Join Date: May 2004       02-10-2006, 7:39 PM Reply   
We made on for our bayliner, you can't even tell we made it, it's not like all sleek or anything, but it looks great.
Old     (waterboy3)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-10-2006, 9:30 PM Reply   
Amstutz....there's a local steel plant in Nw ohio, Protec, they can make whatever you want and for a reasonable price
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       02-11-2006, 8:28 PM Reply   
here one i did, pretty easy.. we used muffler pipe
Old     (zride)      Join Date: May 2001       02-11-2006, 10:32 PM Reply   
lol hahaha muffler pipe! That tower is hilarious....I'm sorry. not trying to diss but that tower doesnt look very sturdy. Is it pretty solid? Looks like it could use one more cross bar on the sides down below. What do I know though.
Old     (schackdaddy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-12-2006, 3:35 AM Reply   
http://www.globaltecheng.com/alutubing.htm
thats the place I got my aluminum from. 6061 T6 very nicely priced, it was less than $3/ft for 11 gauge 2.5" OD. The finish was not polished or brushed tho, just standard mill.
Old     (cool_dude)      Join Date: May 2004       02-12-2006, 8:22 AM Reply   
no offense to ski high but the tower we made looks good, I don't have any pictures of it at the moment but it looks professional.