Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-02-2006, 5:47 AM Reply   
I have three year old drysuit that have good seals but it has been leakig and getting worse for over a year now.The problem is i cant find the leak ,ive tried all the leak finding process's like filling it up with water from the inside and pushing down all over the suit and did not find anything then i turned it inside out and tried the same thing,no leak.i decided to just silicone/seal all the seams in the area i was getting water on my clothes,that didnt work.

well this past weekend it was really leaking bad i was getting real wet in one area,i thought for sure id find the leak easily now,so i took it home and tried water again and no leak so i decided to seal the neck,wrist,and ankle seals with bottles and then fill it with air then spray it with soapy water all over the suit ,dam thing held the air real well and i still cant find a leak !

it seems to be leaking through the material as if the material itself is bleeding through on falls ,more like seeping through the grain of the material,i cant think of anything else so t be it.

SO im thinking of trying one last thing ,so im wondering if theres a way to spray some kind of water proofing material on the entire material part of the suit??

anyone ever do this if so what type of spray should i buy or have any ideas on what could be leaking??

thanks
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-02-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
You need a smoke machine! You could also try filling it with air instead. Moisten your hand if need be and feel for leaks. Put whatever you can into your seals like bottles, jars, funnels, etc to seal it up. Aquaseal is what many use on their wet and dry suits.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-02-2006, 8:34 AM Reply   
i was thinking more of maybe some kind of canvas waterproof spray sealer..i have used air but cant find a true hole so i was looking for someone who had some ideas on a water proof liquid to spray on it as too rewaterproof it..

i think the pvc inner seal is starting to break free but not noticeable to the human eye ..so when it gets soaked it bleeds through..

maybe if i spray the outside with a sealer it will work at least for the rest of the winter..
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-02-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
Bill,there is scotch gaurd but no sure if that will do it.

Maybe the problem is not with the suit but the way you are putting and leaving it on.When I got new bindings my dry suit started leaking bad.

Try to make sure all the seals are not being pinched by the bindings or that you leave your sweats close to the seal of the dry suit,it will lift the seal and get you wet from your seal in the ankles.Then you fall and you board\ankles are above your butt and it leaks up your leg and settles in the butt area until you stand up again.Hope that makes sense?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-03-2006, 7:24 AM Reply   
It sounds as if you have an abrasion issue. I know of no way to fix it. Do not use silicone or silicone based water protectants (armor all). You may be able to us 303 fabric waterproofer to limp it along.

You need a new suit.

Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-03-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
Bill,

My Hubby has the same exact problem and we tried all the same things Bill did and still can't find the leak. What kind of suit do you have? His is Bare. If it gets any worse, he will probably take it to our local dive shop and have them deal with it.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-03-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
Well send the suckers in for repair. They will come back fixed!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-08-2006, 5:42 AM Reply   
Renee its a gladiator suit .im going to try the 303 stuff this weekemd and see how it holds up..

Karls probrably correct about the abrasion issues.it is three years old but id like to make it at least through this season with it..ill let you know how the 303 fairs next week..