Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old    wblwake            07-04-2006, 1:22 AM Reply   
Alright. I am a noob that wants to get more into the sport of wakeboarding. I've had a few runs, nothing much and am looking for a decent board package, nothing cheap and nothing TOO expensive. Currentley I am looking at the CWB Flame/Torq package and the Hyperlite State package.
Any input on these two or others to try out???
Thanks for the input}}
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-04-2006, 1:50 AM Reply   
the only true way you are going to know is to demo them. People here are gonna tell you both are good, personally I cant say enough about the state, I love that board. again demo, demo, demo.
But one thing thats really important is bindings, make sure you try on as many as you can. Comfort is key, even if you have to spend a little more its well worth it.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-04-2006, 7:34 AM Reply   
Josh both packages are good. Its hard to beat the Flame/Torq package IMO. Great board with great bindings. Demo if you can like Kristian said, thats the best way to see what will work best for you.
Old    abadsvt            07-04-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
In my own opinion i would buy the best board you can afford. Then buy the best bindings you can afford. My old boards lasted a long time so you can always grow into a board but its not good to grow out of a board unless you have more money than i do and can afford upgrading all the time. Good luck!
Old     (lakeguy77)      Join Date: May 2002       07-04-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
It's funny, I first learned to ride in spring of '01 on a CWB Infinity. Very very beginner board. As soon as I could go w2w, I started trying friends' boards and very quickly established what I actually liked in a board, and went out and picked up an 01 Drifter to demo after reading many reviews and comparing lots of boards to what I liked in a board. I was looking for the Project, but the local Hype dealer didn't have one in stock, but gave me the Drifter to try out the shape and ride. Needless to say, I never brought the Drifter back. On my first time out on it, from just being able to go w2w and do a couple slides and stuff, suddenly I was hitting grabs, butterslides for miles....so even though I was a total beginner riding an advanced board, my riding instantly progressed just by getting a better board. I'm still only in that beginner/intermediate range but I'll never run out of room on the board I chose.

I'm not plugging a 5 year old board or anything, just saying, get out and ride as many boards as you can, whether they're demo's or friends' boards, and figure out what you like in a board. The right choice will become very clear just by reading descriptions and reviews of boards once you know what you like and what you're looking for.
Old    wblwake            07-07-2006, 3:10 PM Reply   
Well thanks for the help. But one more question, is there much of a difference between CWB and Hyperlite??
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-07-2006, 3:34 PM Reply   
Different company, different processes and different shapes. Its a wakeboard and only so many things can be changed but trust me, they all ride differently in sometimes subtle ways.
Old    jason29            07-11-2006, 10:57 AM Reply   
i just started riding about 3 weeks ago and talked to a couple of friends who have been riding for years and they suggested the hyperlite with the motive bottom.i tried a couple of boards and this one seems to be the easiest to control. it is advertised as a good board for beginner to intermediate. hope this helps,but remember i am a beginner to
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-11-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
Shaun Murray used to ride that board and stomped 9's on it like a champ. There's a reason one of the Heaney brothers (pro riders) still uses the Motive, its a sick shape. Don't fall for the hype, most "Beginner/Intermediate" boards are pro models from a few years back. Same thing as the Flame, its the Absolute (Zane Schwemk pro model) from 2 years ago. Speaking of the Flame, it is a MUCH better board IMO than the State. The Motive almost compares but the Flame is faster and has a bigger pop.