Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (joswing)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-04-2015, 11:07 AM Reply   
First post (after many weeks of research)... second boat.

I absolutely love my friend's 08 malibu LSV, but those all seem out of my price range. I both love to surf (goofy footed) and love to wakeboard. We get great wakes and waves with his boat, but I've never been behind the "sv23" hull (i.e. the vlx hull until 2004) which looks less beefy. I haven't been too impressed with youtube videos of the surf wave on the sv23 hull from the earlier years on the vlx compared to the "v25" hull on the VLX from 05-08.

I just went and drove a 2004 Tige 22v last weekend after reading many posts and seeing videos of some great surf waves on these boats when properly weighted. He didn't have any ballast with the boat (I'm comfortable installing that myself). I'm pretty confident that the surf wave will be good on this boat, but will I be dissappointed with the wakeboarding wake??? I've seen some videos where the lip looks a bit washed out.

For a good crossover wakeboard and surf boat which would be better the 04 malibu vlx or the 04 tige 22v?

I'll have to drive quite a distance to try out one of the malibus so if anyone has some input before I invest in a long trip that would be great.

Also, what would be considered a good price for either of these 2004's?

Thanks in advance!
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-04-2015, 12:52 PM Reply   
I would suggest going to tigeowners they are pretty honest over there. They will tell you about the V vs Ve wake.
Old     (joswing)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-04-2015, 7:09 PM Reply   
Thanks for the reply... I'll try over there as well.

If anyone here has an opinion between the 04 tige 22v and an 04 Malibu wakesetter vlx I'd still love to hear thoughts as well.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-04-2015, 8:09 PM Reply   
You never hear people complain about the wakes or waves or build quality of a VLX. Tige on the other hand ...........

To me it's not even close.
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-04-2015, 8:14 PM Reply   
Not sure about the Malibu, but I can give you a review for tige's. As said above head over to tigeowners as well. I have a 2005 Tige 24v. Same boat as the 22v and same as the 04 as well just 2' longer. These boats are surf monsters! I can tell you that 100% The 22v's are mainly surfing with enzo sacs in the rear and I believe its 400lb'ers in the front. Not having a ballast already surely would not make or break a deal for me, sometimes its better to install your own they have to deal with one that is already installed. The surf waves on these boats are easily tailored to regular and goofy and the hull design is well setup for both wakeboarding and surfing from the get go. I am not a huge wakeboarder so I cant tell you the specifics of my wake, but when wakebaoard friends are out with us on my boat they are blown away. I run custom sacs (1800lbs) in each corner and 400 in each front under the seats. The Tige's have tons of storage space and lots of seating, hold up very well to abuse and to me (I spend 2 years deciding which boat to buy to last long term) do not pass over the Tige without some serious consideration. Throw a post up on tigeowners and have fun, whichever direction you go.
Old     (joswing)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-04-2015, 9:50 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input Jason... Yeah, I started leaning towards the Tige originally due to the many posts about how great their surf waves are both regular and goofy. I just wanted to make sure I will be happy with the wakeboard wake too... That's good to hear that your wakeboarding buddies are impressed! I've found the tige on a good deal making it within my budget. I have seen a few earlier model wakesetter vlx's ('01 - '03) that I could drive too that are within my price range but not quite as inexpensive as the Tige 22v.

My preference would be an '05 wakesetter for under 30k, but I'm having a hard time finding one at that price. I'm not as lucky as the new boat thread posted today who picked up an '06 lsv for $24k... I'd be all over that

L W, have you been on the 01 - 04 vlx hull too? Does it throw as nice of a surf wave as the '05 - '08 hull? Goofy and regular?
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-05-2015, 5:10 AM Reply   
I have an 02 vlx, I run a lot weight, a lot and get a monster wave but its not as long as I would like especially when I see vids of the new boats and the 40 foot pockets they have to surf. Making my own surf gate has helped a lot to make it even better. Having never surfed the tige I can't compare. But I'd take the vlx comfort and build quality over the older tiges any day.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       05-05-2015, 7:05 PM Reply   
From my experience (current 03' vlx owner) I'd go with the Tige for surf, the VLX for wakeboarding. Sounds like you're more of a surfer, so I'd go Tige. The mid 2000s Tige 22V hull was the best surfing hull of it's time, in my opinion.
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-05-2015, 7:31 PM Reply   
Another + for the Tige is the amount of freeboard. I have 3 little ones and feel very safe in super rough water with mine.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-06-2015, 5:29 AM Reply   
I've Wakeboarded behind a 2004 24v. The 22V is 2 foot shorter and requires less weight to surf and get a good wakeboard wake. The thing that's different about Tige's is they require more weight up front to get a great Wakeboard wake. Example if you put 1000 lbs up front you only need 800 in the rear lockers. If you use sacks a 750 lb in the bow and a 300 as far up as possible in the walkway. Then two 400 lb sacks in the rear lockers. Set the TAPS on 3 or 4 . Run 22 to 23 mph with a 75 to 80 foot rope length. You'll be good to go.