Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-16-2012, 9:06 PM Reply   
Was wondering if they're still in business and came accross this...
http://www.calabriaboats.ca/?content/home.html

What a bummer i've always liked their boats and how big the main seating area was for a 21 footer.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-16-2012, 9:51 PM Reply   
Sorry to see but can't say it is a suprise. They did some really great things in the early 2000's with the huge swim platform, huge cabforward design and purevert ballast. Too bad they are 99% unchanged from 2001 or whenever the PRoV came out. The only thing they did was change the tower and some astetics. The Pro V is the same boat today as it was in 2001. They added the smaller PRoVII but it is a carbon copy of the ProV just smaller. Their boats have remained too low profile, too shallow inside, no snapout carpet and not any model changes. Not sure their hull design is all that great either. I am also not sure why they stuck with claiming the ProV was a 24' boat when it was actually a 21.5' boat.

I would like to see someone buy fineline, keep the Calabria name but drop the Gekko line all together. They should make a true 20', 21.5 and 23' boat, make them deeper, keep the living room sized interior, have the keel/V run all the way to the transom, put in snap in carpet, increase purevert ballast(by making deeper, longer and raising the floor a couple inches this would naturally increase probably to 1500-2000 pounds in a 21.5-22' boat) and throw a taller tower on it although making a deeper boat might help some of that. They should completely ditch the calair unless they are going to make a tru competition level inboard, which the calair is not. I would stick with 3 models for startup in V bows and then work on 21', 22.5' and 24' piclefork versions of those same boats using the same wetted surface. I wetted surface similar to sanger or MB seem to be winners. They will surf well, probably wakeboard well with correct design and ride well in rough water. They should focus on making a good quality boat, with good fit and finish but skip all the extra bling stuff like billet and LCD screens to try and keep cost competetive with MB, Sanger, Supreme, etc...
Old     (hockeysk8er222)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-16-2012, 10:25 PM Reply   
^ Sounds like you should take over!
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-17-2012, 5:49 AM Reply   
I agree with polar bill 100% It would be nice to see someone step in and make some new changes to Calabria. I would love to see Calabria come out with a pickle fork style boat. I would buy one of theose in a heart beat.
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-17-2012, 6:12 AM Reply   
No offence but my cousin has one and I hate the wake. Finish is fantastic but. Well. I don't see them lasting much longer.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.989190,-110.722617
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-17-2012, 6:48 AM Reply   
How about we all buy a portion of it?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-17-2012, 7:11 AM Reply   
Please dont confuse boat dealer in Canada with the boat Manufacture Fineline in CA that builds Centurion boats.'

Is is the info on the web site Fineline Boats presents CALABRIA BOATS and GEKKO BOATS to British Columbia and Alberta. Located right here located in Kelowna, B.C. Happy to help with all your Tournment boat needs. 662 Southwind Drive

They are just rying to fool people!!
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-17-2012, 7:19 AM Reply   
Fineline the boat manfacture in CA has never had anything to do with Calabria. Back in the day they did contract build Gekko

Again this web site has nothing to do with Fineline the boat manfacturer in CA they build http://www.centurionboats.com/
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-17-2012, 9:41 AM Reply   
Yeah this is the name of a boat dealership in Canada. They are selling their dealership and inventory. Coincidence of names and nothing more.

I'm sure Fineline that makes Centurion is doing fine. All the jackwagons ripping powerturns on my lake in their base Centurion would tell you as much.
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-17-2012, 9:57 AM Reply   
Calabria has just signed a couple new dealers, gotten some orders and are just about to start building new boats.. Calabria also builds Supreme in their warehouse down in Merced, CA..
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-17-2012, 10:25 AM Reply   
Jackwagons, do power turns in whatever boat they own, you didnt need to bash us centurion owners, base level boat or not. Shows how narrow minded you are IMO.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       01-17-2012, 11:02 AM Reply   
Calabria should of came out with a pickle fork model like everyone else and they would of been just fine. Add a touch screen that plays DVD's, forward backward movable seating, forward facing tower or a ugly powered tower. Add $40/$60,000 to the price tag and call it innovative concepts with superior quality that only the elite and rich can afford with a unmatch resale value and they will make a come back. With all joking aside it is sad to see another company that created American jobs is going under. Calabria I felt that they made a quality boat and it is sad to see them go. Hopefully someone buys it that continues the name.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-17-2012, 11:27 AM Reply   
Hopefully if they stick around, they'll take notes from their mistakes and fix them. When I bought my first VLX, my buddy bought the pro v with all the hype at the time. First outing at parker, drove over some rollers, and the center windshield broke through the brackets, swung down and shattered. One of the seat bases cracked at the sand bar, and some other issues. The dealer tried to say that something hit it while towing. That usually creates a great relationship when you call your customer a liar. I know anything can happen with any boat, but that particular one was a POS. Three months later bought a bu, 4 months later (after buying the bu) got the pro v back and sold it.

Last edited by wakebrdr94; 01-17-2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: typos
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-17-2012, 2:02 PM Reply   
While that ad is not for the Calabria boat company in Merced, it seems like I read where Calabria was having problems because a fire on the freeway near their shop burned several of their hull molds. So I imagine they have been in some sort of recovery mode for the recent past.

I can't find any info on it though. Hopefully they have gotten past it.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-17-2012, 2:53 PM Reply   
Sorry, what I meant to say is, I too am sad to see another company here in the US go under. Hopefully its not true. Fullspeed, I agree! I know I don’t want to pay 40k more for a digital dash and a ugly tower. I’m base model all the way, then add as I can afford it.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       01-18-2012, 8:59 AM Reply   
WOW did you guys browes the WEBSITE. It is a Dealer ship. they are selling the dealer ship.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-18-2012, 10:05 AM Reply   
Well regardless they need to completely change their boats otherwise they are going to go out of business.
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-19-2012, 10:51 PM Reply   
I just spoke with Scott at Calabria yesterday about some projects they have in the works. They are NOT going out of business any time soon.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-20-2012, 6:37 AM Reply   
I hope so it would be nice to see a new calabria come out something new and up to date.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       01-20-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
I would be the first one to buy
Old     (dbdan)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-20-2012, 12:02 PM Reply   
I'm not so sure I would...It's not that I don't love my boat, because I do, but Bob can't support my current one...As mentioned in the other thread, he still owes me a bimini over 2 years after I bought it! Plus there are a couple other minor issues that need to be resolved, but I can't get voicemails or emails returned...

I think I've been pretty patient for 2 plus years, and have never said anything negative, but there comes a point when it becomes ridiculous...(which was probably about a year and a half ago...)
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-20-2012, 12:06 PM Reply   
I just had a dealer up here in NorCal call me recently and ask me about my advice on boats to carry, etc. He told me he ended up signing up with Calbria, which I was surprised, because I didn't know they were still making boats, I thought they were only making boats for Supreme, not their own for a while. So it sounded to me like Calabria was getting going again. Would be cool if any of those boats wakesurf ok.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-20-2012, 12:20 PM Reply   
If they keep the same boats as they have they aren't going to sell many.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-20-2012, 3:00 PM Reply   
^^^ Totally agree. The ProV is way outdated by modern wakeboat standards (low freeboard, small ballast, etc.).

Maybe they are secretly developing a new model that will become the new "IT" boat for WakeWorld...

2009 - Sanger
2010 - Axis
2011 - Tige
2012 - MB
2013 - Calabria...?

Did I get my WakeWorld history correct?