Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ncsupra)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-10-2012, 9:06 AM Reply   
Am I crazy to consider buying a 2002 Super Air Nautique with 1,900 hrs? It is a one owner boat and the salesman claims that the owner had the dealership perform all of the required maintenance at regular intervals. I have requested the maintenance records. It has been at the dealership for approx 24 months with only an occasional lake test to run the motor. I have not seen the boat, as it is a 3 hour drive from my house but the pics online show that it is in good condition. The salesman sent me pics of three places where the gelcoat is chipped or scratched and there are three or four small cracks in the vinyl. He also says it is a Team Edition but there are no stickers/graphics on it to indicate it is a Team Edition.

Here are my questions:
Should 1,900 hrs be a big deal if the maintenance has been kept up with? I know a guy who got 3,000 hrs out of one of the engines.

How much would I expect to spend to rebuild the engine? I would like to rebuild it myself, are parts readily available to an individual? Any Correct Craft/Nautique/PCM specific tools required for an engine rebuild?

Did Correct Craft/Nautique make a Team Edition in 2002? What options would be specific to only a Team Edition to help me confirm it is a SANTE?

Would $22,500 be too much to pay for this boat? I figure I could rebuild the engine, fix the gelcoat and still have less than $29K into it.

Thanks for your help.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       01-10-2012, 9:10 AM Reply   
I know Sam Ingram is well on his way to 1900 hours on his and it is a few years newer. He is definitely someone you should talk to.

Last edited by bruizza; 01-10-2012 at 9:13 AM.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-10-2012, 9:12 AM Reply   
I wouldn't buy it.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-10-2012, 9:12 AM Reply   
I'm not too familiar with SAN's but 1,900 hours, well maintained, is high but should still run for a long time. With that said, $22,500 seems very high to me, but others more familiar with SANTE's can comment. You could probably take the HIN and contact Correct Craft to make sure it's a SANTE.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-10-2012, 9:17 AM Reply   
That price is too high with that many hours.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-10-2012, 9:27 AM Reply   
One guy I ride with has 3000+ and everytime I've been on his boat it runs great, I think its a 2003. He has all the maintenance done by one of the best Nautique mechanics around (IMO), so I don't know if that makes a difference.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       01-10-2012, 9:29 AM Reply   
IMHO they are way too high. I know a guy who sold an '02 san w/ 800 hrs well maintained for less than that.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-10-2012, 9:36 AM Reply   
you can expect 2500-3000 hours no problem if maintenance has been done CORRECTLY and on time. Like said before, too high for the hours. wouldn't go over 18k
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-10-2012, 10:19 AM Reply   
Way too high. imo not far off what I gave for my 08 210te with 200 hours on it.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-10-2012, 11:59 AM Reply   
Is the boat for sale in NC? Beware when I contacted them that they said it was well maintained, then went on to say that the boat was slow to start once warmed up.

I ended up not even looking at it, wife would never have let me buy a boat with those hours.

If you give me your email, I can forward the email they sent to me stating this.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 01-10-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-10-2012, 12:03 PM Reply   
$29k is way too much to be into a boat with those hours. Was planning on asking $31k for ours, it has around 300-350 hours (if memory serves), and a nice stereo set-up with Wetsounds (though it's not a TE). For your comparison:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4495967...7627701388016/
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-10-2012, 1:23 PM Reply   
Yes.
Old    SamIngram            01-11-2012, 10:51 AM Reply   
I have an '06 SANSE upgraded with Perfect Pass and Hard Tanks. It has just under 1,200 hours, or something like that, and gets serviced by Century Marine. I will sell it for what i owe on it, which is about $35K. I did name it though, The Golden Calf, so maybe that lowers the value... I wouldn't be thinking about selling it if it wasn't for my ankle... The Golden Calf shattered it...

At the end of last summer I had a buyer who paid to have a compression and leak-down test performed - he couldn't get a loan. Compression was great and the leak-down test showed less than a 4% spread across the cylinders. I don't think hours mean that much if the boat was taken care of. My boat looks better than almost any 2006 that I have seen and the only visible wear is that a couple places on the upholstery are starting to split at the seams (I actually have all new skins for the boat, but am saving them until it gets bad). My trailer paint is pretty faded though and I had to replace the rotors and pads last summer. I personally think that the hardest thing on a boat is not using it. If you don't use it, it seems like things turn brittle, crack, and generally just don't last when they are just sitting somewhere.

My boat is in Arizona and I don't even winterize it... we use it all year. I think this has positively affected the boat. I have replaced my serpentine belt a couple times, the steering cable, and my prop-shaft seal though. They didn't need it yet and weren't broke, but I replaced them anyhow, just in case.

As I have preached many, many times here before, if you are looking at an older boat do a compression and leak-down test and that will tell you everything you need to know.

The Golden Calf
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-11-2012, 12:21 PM Reply   
I would be more worried about the interior than the engine if all of the maintenance was done on it.
Old    SamIngram            01-11-2012, 12:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
I would be more worried about the interior than the engine if all of the maintenance was done on it.
Yes, my interior is the only way to tell it has the hours... My interior (Correct Craft's in general) seems to hold up a lot better than other boats. The only problems with my interior are that there are couple places on the rear seat where the vinyl is stitched together and makes a sharp turn at the same time. Mainly on both corners of the top of the seat, the stitching is starting to pull apart. I had new skins made from Correct Craft last year and was going to install them, but decide I would just save them and give them to the new owner if it ever sells. I have only used original formula Dawn dish washing liquid on my interior though, which was originally recommended by the dealer.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-12-2012, 9:56 AM Reply   
I agree with Tim. I had a 1978 Natique for six yars and had well over 3300 hours when I sold it and never had any problems with the motor. The boat is still running. I saw it for sale last year. Anyway, when I bouught the boat in 1988, I had the interior and carpet re done because of sun damage and wear . To me, if the motor has been maintained, it should run awhile. However, when negotiating with dealers, hours always come up so you may have some play in the price, but how much will depend on the demand in your area.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-12-2012, 3:48 PM Reply   
I haves 2002 SANTE so I can probably answer some of your questions. As far as price goes it depends on which part of the country the boat is in. Here in the Dallas/Ft Worth area and TX in general Nautiques hold their value very well.

With regards to the hours, which motor does it have? There were 3 options in 2002. It was the first year for the 5.7 chevy 350(which I have) and it was the last year for the Ford GT 40 which was based on a 351 Windsor with a few tweaks. The GT 40 is highly regarded as a "bulletproof" motor. The other option was a big block v8 but these were a little more rare. Overkill if you ask me as both the other motors have more than enough power to handle a boat fully weighted down.

For 2002 the Team Edition had Team Edition badges, usually "wedge ballast tanks" although the flat ones were an option, a center ballast tank, board racks, keypad ignition, upgraded kicker/clarion sound, one of two years for rear electronic locking hatches, bow filler cushion and an upgraded prop.

A lot of boats can be found that werent TEam Editions but had some Team Edition options.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

Last edited by wakebrdr38; 01-12-2012 at 3:51 PM.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       01-12-2012, 7:27 PM Reply   
If it's a 351w I wouldn't sweat it, so long as it runs well. If it's a Chev 350.... Well I wouldn't want one with that many hours. Either way, engines are cheap. You can freshen up an otherwise good engine for around $500, rebuild around $1500-$2500 depending on how extensive. Pretty cheap compared to what the boat costs. IIRC transmissions are around $1000, or a couple hundred if you rebuild yourself. As with any vehicle or boat, worry about overall condition, not driveline as it's the cheapest and easiest part to fix. Use driveline as negotiating point for a better price, but not to rule it out.
Old     (ncsupra)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-18-2012, 12:34 PM Reply   
WOW. Great information. Thanks for all of your replies. I really appriciate the help.

SWH
Old     (ncsupra)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-18-2012, 1:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdr38 View Post
I haves 2002 SANTE so I can probably answer some of your questions. As far as price goes it depends on which part of the country the boat is in. Here in the Dallas/Ft Worth area and TX in general Nautiques hold their value very well.

With regards to the hours, which motor does it have? There were 3 options in 2002. It was the first year for the 5.7 chevy 350(which I have) and it was the last year for the Ford GT 40 which was based on a 351 Windsor with a few tweaks. The GT 40 is highly regarded as a "bulletproof" motor. The other option was a big block v8 but these were a little more rare. Overkill if you ask me as both the other motors have more than enough power to handle a boat fully weighted down.

For 2002 the Team Edition had Team Edition badges, usually "wedge ballast tanks" although the flat ones were an option, a center ballast tank, board racks, keypad ignition, upgraded kicker/clarion sound, one of two years for rear electronic locking hatches, bow filler cushion and an upgraded prop.

A lot of boats can be found that werent TEam Editions but had some Team Edition options.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.
Thanks Kevin. I think this may be an SE with a few Team options. It does not have a sub or amp.