Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-01-2011, 5:39 AM Reply   
I used to think it was the boat's issue (older ski nautique), but now I'm on my second boat, going to the same lake and once again the hull is getting a yellowish tint after just 2 trips out this season.

Anyone else have this problem and any ideas how to clean it off and prevent it from happening? Thanks.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-01-2011, 7:17 AM Reply   
sounds like a wax problem what wax are you using??
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-01-2011, 7:45 AM Reply   
Ate you wiping the boat down after each use? This can help a lot
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-01-2011, 8:50 AM Reply   
I'm not sure where you are located but in many areas of Florida the high levels of tannin from vegetation will cause yellowing. These waters a dark and sometimes almost black in color.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-01-2011, 9:08 AM Reply   
huge issue here on the gulf coast where our waters are brown. Doesn't matter about the wax, it will still "stain" the hull. The only solutions I found were FSR or Starbrite Hull stain remover - both of which contain oxylic acid. It is safe.

Here is the product and a similar post.

Product
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...4&ci_sku=10975

Similar post
http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...yellowing.html
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       06-01-2011, 9:11 AM Reply   
Same issue here in Louisiana. Wiping down doesn't really help at all as it doesn't wipe off even right as it comes out of the water. Wax definitely helps. I like Meguiar's Tech Wax. Oxalic acid hull cleaner will remove the stains but also your wax. My problem is that I do the acid wash and wax and everything looks great. Then I go put the boat in the water and it finds those few little spots that I missed when waxing and stains them. I have to start the process over then. The solution would be to wax a couple of times before using the boat to make sure every square inch is covered.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-01-2011, 9:32 AM Reply   
Located in northeast Ohio and yes, the boat has been wiped down after each use.

OK, it sounds like there are 2 options, either use oxylic acid and wash or wash and wax. It seems like using the stain remover is for after the problem happens. Will washing and waxing prevent the staining for a long period of time, or is that something I would have to do after each use?
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       06-01-2011, 10:36 AM Reply   
I don't have to wax every time but you can use some of those "wax as you dry" products during wipe down in between a paste wax application every 3-4 months.

Oh, and mine used to get stained worse before I compounded the gelcoat. I guess it was able to get a better "grip" on the surface before
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-01-2011, 10:48 AM Reply   
Brush with "on/off" from any boat store.