Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-14-2011, 9:21 PM Reply   
I know they've been talked about a lot....

but with a good job looming right around the corner, and the potential to sell our current boat - an upgrade is the logical next step.

**I WILL BE MENTIONING GOING 50/50 WITH A FRIEND ON THIS -- WE MAKE IT WORK**
Our first boat was a 1989 Ski Eliminator 50/50 on it, then a 1994 Hydrodyne Legacy - we went in 50/50... sold it and upgraded to our current boat 1995 Supersport Nautique - went 50/50 on it.... we live down the street from each other, best friends for years and years - going half and half is NOT a problem for us **

So we love the 210 we currently have but would love more room. We're looking at 23/24 ft. wakeboats now.

Age or brand isn't really an issue for us as long as it is mechanically sound - we want to keep the price around 33k +/-

What we're currently looking at:
Epic 23v
Moomba XLV
Supra 24ssv (out of price range I think)
Supreme 23ft
Typhoon 23
Malibu Escape 23 LSV

Any info/suggestions/insight would be great, thanks
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-14-2011, 10:21 PM Reply   
I currently have a Mobius XLV and love it. I will be upgrading soon and sticking with Skier's Choice. They have a great product and I've had an excellent experience with them. If the 24ssv is too much the 22ssv is still pretty large and seats I think 15. Other than the Typhoon, looks like all the boats on your list are very reputable and everybody will chime in on how service makes or breaks the deal and how its the most important aspect of buying a boat. Oh, and then people will be appalled that you don't have a Mastercraft on your list. Test drive what you can, from your price range of a 23' boat I'm assuming you're looking at boats that are at least 5 years old, so as you said, a previous owner that has taken good care of the boat will be your biggest concern rather than manufacturer.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-14-2011, 10:34 PM Reply   
Any interest in a Tige 24V? I think Ragboy might still have his 24V for sale, but im not positive and I dont remember what year it was (06-07+?), but it might be worth a look.
http://www.wakeworld.com/ragboy/

I absolutely love our Tige, the company is great, and it kicks out a solid surf wave
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-15-2011, 7:21 AM Reply   
Lime cody mentoned...if u can swing it, 07+ Supra 22SSV...but would be hard to get for 33......prolly closer to 40k. Mine is for sale FYI
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-15-2011, 7:46 AM Reply   
What about the MB Tomcat? We can set up a demo any time you want.

I am selling my Team 21' Tomcat on Only inboards. This is a team/rider boat. The owner of MB will make a sweet deal on it.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=26765
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-15-2011, 8:37 AM Reply   
you should add an MB B52 V23 in that mix. My buddy just sold his 06 with 120 hours for less than 40K.
solid boat, PCM powered and wake has alot of upward pop like the nautique youre used to. and the boat is HUGE.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-15-2011, 9:26 AM Reply   
You could probably find an 05 Supra 24SSV in that price range or close. That is when they started making them I think....
Old     (fuzzball147)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-15-2011, 12:24 PM Reply   
I don't think you will go wrong with any of those boats but I'm not sure about getting any for that price. I have an '08 Epic and absolutely love it. I can tell you that having the hard tanks gives you an unbelieveable amount of storage. I bought mine used in May of '10 and have not had any problems except for replacing one ballast pump, which took about 15 minutes because it has the Tsunami 1200's that you just snap out the inner cartridge and spin in a new one.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-15-2011, 1:35 PM Reply   
All the boats you listed are wicked.... I would be happy with either of them......Coming from a MasterCraft owner
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-15-2011, 3:44 PM Reply   
Dude, get this thing.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/boa/2213909267.html
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-15-2011, 3:45 PM Reply   
or this

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/boa/2207726174.html
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-15-2011, 5:36 PM Reply   
You could find a 22SSV in that range. A buddy of mine sold an 07 22SSV with 275 hours on it for 34k a year and a half ago.
Old     (AP)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-15-2011, 7:16 PM Reply   
Too bad.... I am selling an 03 21' Malibu VLX for 28k =) 2 ft short!!
Old    mojo            02-15-2011, 7:45 PM Reply   
have u been in a newer 210? the beam is about 8" wider which makes it feel HUGE compared to older 21' boats. just throwing that out there incase you hadn't seen the newer ones yet.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       02-15-2011, 8:26 PM Reply   
It is amazing how many boats are at the Auction these days. They are going for 10 to 15 thousand under blue book. We just a 2005 25' pontoon party barge boat at the auction for 7 thousand under book. Saw what is coming down the shoot for this month and there are over 75 boat wakeboard boats from every make. I almost thought about selling my boat and buying a new one for cheap just to have a newer model. If it were me looking for a boat I would low ball everyone, because no one is buying boats. period. Nobody is getting what they are asking for. I will take pictures at the next auction I go to just to show everyone the incredible inventory. I think we are going to pick up a pair of jet skiis just for the hell of it. It is like two for the price of half of one and a trailer.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-15-2011, 9:45 PM Reply   
I figure with our boat (old style SAN 210) we can sell it to someone is wants a 100% wakeboard boat - one of the best wakes out there.... that is why we bought it, but since then I've gotten a "real", my buddy is getting older, and we're getting more friends.... with all those things wakeboarding has gone down some, surfing, cruising, just other boat things have gone up.

My brother, cousins, and fiance' all love surfing but do not wakeboard.... so have a solid surf wave would be great.

The old SANs are so tight inside like RM mentioned.... and from what I've seen out there we could upgrade quite a bit by selling ours ~16-18kk and each of us chipping in a 3/4k.

Getting much more space and a really nice surf wave mixed with a solid wakeboard wake is my end game.

I found a 03 LSV wakesetter with ~300 hrs that looks in good shape for 24k.... so if my upcoming interviews go as planned I'll have some money to play with and think that may be the way to go.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-15-2011, 11:12 PM Reply   
Tige 24v and centurion typhoon will both throw great waves with enough weight.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-16-2011, 12:41 AM Reply   
Nick Tomsyck, my family has an 02 lsv wakesetter which is the same hull. it is a very nice boat, but i can not stand it for wakesurfing. I can not get a consistent wake out of it. The Tige 24v or Typhoon would be way better for surfing. The typhoon has one of my favorite surf wakes for sure and it is so easy to weight. you dont need to put bags on the seats like with my malibu
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-16-2011, 5:00 AM Reply   
B - I disagree. Boats are selling.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-16-2011, 7:36 AM Reply   
@Mitch - besides the wakesurfing issue, how do you like the boat?.... just overall space / wakeboard wake / creature comforts / etc etc
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-16-2011, 7:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullspeed View Post
It is amazing how many boats are at the Auction these days. They are going for 10 to 15 thousand under blue book. We just a 2005 25' pontoon party barge boat at the auction for 7 thousand under book. Saw what is coming down the shoot for this month and there are over 75 boat wakeboard boats from every make. I almost thought about selling my boat and buying a new one for cheap just to have a newer model. If it were me looking for a boat I would low ball everyone, because no one is buying boats. period. Nobody is getting what they are asking for. I will take pictures at the next auction I go to just to show everyone the incredible inventory. I think we are going to pick up a pair of jet skiis just for the hell of it. It is like two for the price of half of one and a trailer.
Is there a list of auction sites, or a way to research whats for sale? I live in Chicago, am in the market for a used wakeboarding boat, and would love to check out the auctions for a good deal.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-16-2011, 8:17 AM Reply   
@Matt www.crankyape.com has wakeboats now and then.... and about half of them are out of MN. its all online auction though.

What price range / age of a boat are you looking for?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-16-2011, 8:17 AM Reply   
Right now there is a 2005 210 and a 205v (out of texas though)
http://www.crankyape.com/default.asp?pg=DisItems&Cat=5
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-16-2011, 8:40 AM Reply   
Don't rule out the Supreme V232 / awesome wave, better than an Avy/Cyclone IMO - we go out with friends who have the Centurions almost every weekend during the season and ride the boats back to back.
Attached Images

Old     (islander033)      Join Date: May 2008       02-16-2011, 9:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogod77 View Post
Don't rule out the Supreme V232 / awesome wave, better than an Avy/Cyclone IMO - we go out with friends who have the Centurions almost every weekend during the season and ride the boats back to back.
What is your V232 surf set up and the Avy surf set up?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-16-2011, 9:26 AM Reply   
I was just talking to another wakeworlder the other day abotu the used market. It has completely bounced back and boats are selling for pretty high prices. At least out here on the west coast. I think all the dealer new repos are gone and the price of new boats has gotten out of control. That and there are a couple west coast used boat dealers buying everything site unseen from the auctions.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-16-2011, 9:35 AM Reply   
Agreed Brett. I've had three people in the last 6 weeks tell me they got asking price for their boat.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-16-2011, 9:56 AM Reply   
@Ian.... just posted to your site.... and had two emails within three hours.
you're the man.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-16-2011, 10:15 AM Reply   
The avalanche and the typhoon throw great waves on both sides. This is my avalanche, typhoon should be better.
Attached Images

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-16-2011, 10:29 AM Reply   
The only real issue with the typhoon and avalanche is they are sensitive to weight. Having two people in the wrong spot really hurts the wave.
Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-16-2011, 10:48 AM Reply   
Duff, that wave looks amazing.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-16-2011, 12:05 PM Reply   
The avalanche has a great wave. There are some better. But it's a great wave from an 03
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-16-2011, 12:19 PM Reply   
Tige 24v surf pics. The tige sits super tall in the water and feels a little bigger inside.
Attached Images

Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-16-2011, 1:31 PM Reply   
We usually run a 750 in the locker and a 450 under the observers seat (plus the 400 +/- stock) - all depending on how many people in the boat. (in the photo I have a 750 on the seat as well plus 6 peeps - check the rub rail)

The Avy is good guys don't get me wrong, it has been known as one of the better waves out of all of the boats, but honestly it doesn't seem to have the drive or size too me.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-16-2011, 2:12 PM Reply   
I think the Tige has more drive in the wave closer to the boat. My wave has lots of drive in the back of the wave. Think of them like different surf breaks. I run a lot of weight though in my avalanche. I will say this, most boats with enough weight can have great waves and everyone has a brand he or she loves. The key is the hull design, a nice deep v in the rear and some weight and the wave should be great I have never personally seen a bigger wave then mine. From pics DJ James Cyclone with a blade and Stanley's 247 have me beat and maybe that sacked out Nautique 230. Or maybe a v226, but from surfdads videos my wave looks just about the same or better in size and length. I hear it has great push though.

Also when picking out a surf boat make sure to get enough HP. You need some ponies to push that much weight
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-16-2011, 4:13 PM Reply   
Nick, besides the surf issue, I love the boat. It is super comfortable and has tons of room.
Old     (goboating)      Join Date: May 2008       02-22-2011, 9:35 AM Reply   
I've bought repo's for several years and for the last 9-10 months they are bringing 15% over wholesale book at auction. In 07 & 08 they were 15% below and they are going to go higher and it is supply and demand. Companies have cut production to much and the bulk of the repo's are gone. Most people quite paying on a boat within the first 12 months if they are going to not pay and since then banks have really tightened up with lending. Plus the Australian market has been buying a ton of boats here as they have finally gotten their shipping costs down under $10k to ship a boat there and it's summer there. If one was going to buy used, I wouldn't delay as warmer, sunny weather will only give more the fever and dealers will hold out for top dollar. I just sold an 08 Epic 23V back in Oct and I know it would have brought $15k more next month, still kicking myself!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
I was just talking to another wakeworlder the other day abotu the used market. It has completely bounced back and boats are selling for pretty high prices. At least out here on the west coast. I think all the dealer new repos are gone and the price of new boats has gotten out of control. That and there are a couple west coast used boat dealers buying everything site unseen from the auctions.