Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-03-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
Hey everyone,

I hope someone has encountered this before.

I have a new, 2009 350 Black Scorpion DTS CAT engine in a v-drive boat. I definitely did not heae this sound before, but when idling the muffler rattles loudly (the horizontal tube that funnels the two exhaust tubes to the exhaust pipes?). It seems to be associated with low RPMs, as when you start the boat it is at it's loudest, settling to a lower level at idle. When given gas the rattle disappears. It is unsettling to hear, and I would think that a loud rattle shouldn't be expected in a new engine. I took the boat to my dealer and they gave a look into it. They didn't know what was causing it, but said that everything looked fine.

Anyone have an opinion on what could cause this? Or if this is anything to think twice about?

Appreciate the help!
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-03-2010, 5:07 PM Reply   
what brand is the muffler?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-03-2010, 5:56 PM Reply   
Did they do any thing for you?
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-03-2010, 7:48 PM Reply   
@Aaron
They charged me $150 to say I could still use my boat.

@G
I don't know about the brand. I wish I had a picture, or something, as I don't have access to the boat for another week or so.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-03-2010, 7:56 PM Reply   
What! No warranty? I don't know if I would go back to them after charging $150 and not being able to tell you what the problem is.
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-04-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
Sounds like one of the baffles in the muffler broke. Gonna make an annoying sound but prob wont hurt anything. Was muffler drained whenwinterized? If not freezing water can cack the baffles.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-04-2010, 1:58 PM Reply   
The boat was running great, up til a couple days ago. While we haven't used it a ton since winter, we have put about 4 weekends in before "something" broke.
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-04-2010, 3:04 PM Reply   
if you're mechanical at all, just take the muffler off and look at the insides, if the baffle is broken it's pretty obvious. the baffle is shaped sort of like a big flat old school telephone. Not hard to do the r&r at all and should answer at least that question anyway.