Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-03-2015, 8:06 AM Reply   
A little Texas flash flood on 10/30/15 on the Guadalupe River. Lake Dunlap is just a small dam that forms a small, narrow lake. This happens on occasion, boat owners didn't get their boats off their lifts of stored too close to the water and the boats go over the dam. My dealer said today they've already received 5-7 calls to replace boats that went over the dam. The dam is approx 30' high on the backside (could be taller)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yfiiq7qoSY

This was June 2010. The June flash flood was not even predicted and happened on a weekday morning while people were at work. Just a freak storm that stalled over the Guadalupe River basin.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2uh4gZcqT4Q
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       11-03-2015, 8:33 AM Reply   
Man that sucks....................
Old     (deelan)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-03-2015, 11:47 AM Reply   
Yeah that is awful. Would love to see after pics. See how well it held up.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-04-2015, 5:41 AM Reply   
AJ, Man all the rain this year is crazy. We keep getting it all at one time
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-04-2015, 5:51 AM Reply   
It's wild to see, but even more wild to see it has happened quite a few times in the past 5 years... Are there any other options than boat lifts on this lake? Tether your boat to shore or a large anchor?

How much does the water rise in these situations? Does insurance really cover you if you lose a boat more than once over the dam?
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-04-2015, 7:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
It's wild to see, but even more wild to see it has happened quite a few times in the past 5 years... Are there any other options than boat lifts on this lake? Tether your boat to shore or a large anchor?

How much does the water rise in these situations? Does insurance really cover you if you lose a boat more than once over the dam?
These people need to remove their boats when weather calls for lots of rain as in this case. Also they should remove their boats when not at their lake house. This is a small size river that is very well known for flash flooding. Between Lake Dunlap (which is hardly a lake, it's just a small concrete dam on the river that backs up the river) and the real lake above it (Canyon Lake) is about 25 miles give or take. All this flash flood water collects in that 25 miles due to the terrain/geography of the area which is steep hills and valleys made up of granite, limestone, with little topsoil. A lot of rain just runs off causing these floods. Some of these floods can raise the the river 15-20ft. Doubt anchors would work, tethers might just get the boat swamped with all the large debris that comes with the floods. This particular flash flood removed quite a few RV's from one of the riverside RV parks. There's video of 3 fifth wheels floating down the river at the same spot where the yellow Nautique was. I also wonder if insurance would now drop a 2nd time boat owner that is not smart enough to remove his/her boat off a river with known multiple days of rain predicted at 100% chance or right at 100% chance over the entire rain event.

Last edited by you_da_man; 11-04-2015 at 8:01 AM.
Old     (Treybiz)      Join Date: Nov 2014       11-04-2015, 8:12 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780493

Certainly Not the First Time... As far as getting the boats off the lift I'm pretty sure that this section of the Guadalupe fills in a screaming hurry. Not that it is any excuse but your dock could be fine to flooded in a matter of minutes and it would suck to take your boat out anytime it's going to rain.
Old     (CHUCK_K)      Join Date: Aug 2015       11-04-2015, 8:16 AM Reply   
Can we have a moment of silence for the Nautique.......
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-04-2015, 9:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCK_K View Post
Can we have a moment of silence for the Nautique.......

There's a nice video of an older X-Star going over.
Old     (CHUCK_K)      Join Date: Aug 2015       11-04-2015, 10:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
There's a nice video of an older X-Star going over.

I honestly feel for those people, that really sucks for that to happen. All those people work hard to have nice things and their items of worth are now damaged or completely ruined. Awful situation to be in.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-04-2015, 10:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCK_K View Post
I honestly feel for those people, that really sucks for that to happen. All those people work hard to have nice things and their items of worth are now damaged or completely ruined. Awful situation to be in.
Nature is a bitc4... Don't eff with her... Dams, she certainly uses that dam against ya...
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       11-04-2015, 1:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_k View Post
can we have a moment of silence for the nautique.......
amen
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       11-04-2015, 3:00 PM Reply   
I cant imagine what the insurance payments ( if they can still get insurance) would be if this has happened to your boats more than once during these floods.
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       11-09-2015, 10:42 PM Reply   
We were talking about the insurance thing just the other night. Do repeat offenders...I mean....boat losers have to switch ins companies or pay a crap-load?? I know for sure boats have gone over one or two of the dams in 1998, 2002, 2010, and the last one in 2015. Heck...in 1998, I saw a Nautique closed bowi 25-30 feet up in a tree....no lie.
Attached Images

Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       11-10-2015, 2:13 PM Reply   
Do boats kept on a lift pay different rates from trailered boats (never been lucky enough to have a lift)? if so, insurance would likely assign a higher premium to all lift kept boats in the area. That's generally what happens with insurance...others pay, not the insurance co.
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       11-10-2015, 4:39 PM Reply   
Progressive never asked me if I keep my boat on a trailer, lift or tied to a dock. All that mattered was the replacement cost of the boat and that I make my yearly payment....lol