Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nittyp)      Join Date: Aug 2014       03-16-2015, 9:34 AM Reply   
Was wondering if anyone had any current information on water levels around the state. I know here in the SF Bay Area we got **** for rain this year. The season will be short and early here at my local lake (Berryessa), but want trying to obtain some info for other parts of the state or neighboring states.. Need to start thinking about summer travel plans since the my lake will likely be unusable (no launch ramps in the water) by I'd guess July or so..

Thanks for any information you are able to provide. ; - )
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       03-16-2015, 9:36 AM Reply   
We have just enough water to survive one more year.
http://www.newsweek.com/nasa-califor...er-left-313647
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-16-2015, 11:34 AM Reply   
We are screwed. To many people not enough water.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-16-2015, 1:17 PM Reply   
Down south it will be once again a hold over year. Lake Perris is still down (large tires for subsurface ecosystems are being exposed), Lake Elsinore is same shallow lake as usual (down 4 feet) and El Capitan reservoir will not see any water imports this year, with a likely drop of another 10 feet by season's end. Currently to MWD pipeline is undergoing capital improve ments and will be closed for 2 more weeks. This means zero imports and continuous draw from San Vicente.

San Vicente, which just finished a 117ft dam raise project is closed for it's 7th consecutive year. It is currently 6 ft below minimum launch level at 38% or so capacity. They spent $700 million on the project upgrades, so I fully expect them to fill it up this upcoming winter for a public opening in Spring 2016.

There is also a proposal to open Diamond Valley Lake (near Perris) for boating recreation, but is not likely to pass due to MWD's stranglehold on SoCal reservoirs preventing water contact of any kind. Diamond Valley has a surface area 3x larger than San Vicente and more than triple the capacity.
Old     (WakeWise)      Join Date: Jun 2014       03-16-2015, 2:41 PM Reply   
Closer to home you have the Delta and then further south San Luis reservoir.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-16-2015, 2:58 PM Reply   
Delta is actually full of hyacinth right now. Clogged water ways. Plus it's so dirty!
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-16-2015, 3:28 PM Reply   
Here is a couple pics of Shasta from last week my wife took while she was in Redding visiting family and friends. 65-85ft down depending on who you talk too. Being a hydroelectric reservoir it fluctuates daily but definitely much better than last year. A good year is when the small peninsula by the boat houses (Bridge Bay Resort) is an island until late in the summer. The area has been receiving some rain and there is a decent snow pack on Mt Shasta this year so it should be pretty good.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cabledog; 03-16-2015 at 3:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (john)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-17-2015, 10:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaadLS1 View Post
Down south it will be once again a hold over year. Lake Perris is still down (large tires for subsurface ecosystems are being exposed), Lake Elsinore is same shallow lake as usual (down 4 feet) and El Capitan reservoir will not see any water imports this year, with a likely drop of another 10 feet by season's end. Currently to MWD pipeline is undergoing capital improve ments and will be closed for 2 more weeks. This means zero imports and continuous draw from San Vicente.

San Vicente, which just finished a 117ft dam raise project is closed for it's 7th consecutive year. It is currently 6 ft below minimum launch level at 38% or so capacity. They spent $700 million on the project upgrades, so I fully expect them to fill it up this upcoming winter for a public opening in Spring 2016.

There is also a proposal to open Diamond Valley Lake (near Perris) for boating recreation, but is not likely to pass due to MWD's stranglehold on SoCal reservoirs preventing water contact of any kind. Diamond Valley has a surface area 3x larger than San Vicente and more than triple the capacity.
Diamond Valley is not happening. http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...296512811.html
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-17-2015, 5:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
I never would have imagined that it would open to water contact. Jerry Brown needs to stop building stupid bullet trains that cost way too much and have political side deals and start building us a serious water infrastructure. Time for a pipeline from Washington or some serious desalination plants and FAST.
Old     (WakeWise)      Join Date: Jun 2014       03-17-2015, 5:51 PM Reply   
Hey Red. I know you just moved out there but a buddy of mine said it's clearing up on the delta...no?
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-19-2015, 6:59 AM Reply   
WakeWise I ride out of Orwood right around the corner from Disco. Yes it is a mess out there right now, 3 weeks ago I saw a 40 foot long tree floating down Old River. There has been ton of debris this year. I will be going out Saturday hopefully it will be a little better.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-19-2015, 7:23 AM Reply   
Lol!
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-19-2015, 7:24 AM Reply   
Plus the delta is dangerous as hell!!
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-19-2015, 11:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
Plus the delta is dangerous as hell!!
Good plan, keep everyone out because its so over run and dangerous with brackish water that will ruin your boat....

It always rains in Seattle too... I don't know why anyone would ever want to go there...
Old     (WakeWise)      Join Date: Jun 2014       03-19-2015, 8:01 PM Reply   
Okay..keep it to yourselves...I forgot I was on wakeworld.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-19-2015, 9:33 PM Reply   
Lol! I kid I kid
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-19-2015, 9:47 PM Reply   
I have been on W/W for a few years now and it's always been like this. ^^^^ Regarding peoples local riding spot and more accurately "The Delta" 50% is Toung & Cheek & the other 50% is people trying to scair the un educated away from their spot. Iv seen everything from delta folk here from flesh eating virus's to 1/2 sunken body's,

What about the rumor that all the old salty houseboats that litter the various marinas around the delta just pump their black water directley into the water???? Wait that's no rumor! That's the Truth!
💩💩💩💩 poo poo !
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-20-2015, 7:25 AM Reply   
Grant, any truth to Lake Tulloch being drained down this year? Watched a clip on the news about it, they were talking 70' drop this year?

There are some disturbing reservoir levels currently... McClure is 270' down right now, more than likely will be at all time record levels this fall. Oroville is also expected to hit record low levels this fall. My neighbor has a 65' houseboat on Oroville that is dry docked right now and won't even be launching it this year.... tough times in Cali right now for water.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-20-2015, 8:39 AM Reply   
Travis; it's totally up in the Air at this point. They are having what they are calling a "Water Crisis Summit" this weekend at a local meeting place. California's representivitives Tom McClintock will be present as well as others that represent water rights.

New Malonies & Tulloch are running very low on water. But what is a bigger threat then drought is Fail'd environmental policy's. The environmental policy's that dictate the ammount of water they relice is out of control. The Fed's are letting watter out that will drain our lake by September. We are trying to get the Feds to "slow the flow"
So that everyone can make the most of the water that we have left.
Check out this 4 min video it sums up why we are in this situation.
http://youtu.be/xQ2UjZGtjaM
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-20-2015, 8:48 AM Reply   
BTW: this issues Tom McClintock is talking about in that video are the same issues for Folsom, Shasta, Orville. Everyone is california should be aware of the feds current "Fish Before People" policy
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-20-2015, 8:56 AM Reply   
Yeah and growing rice, cotton, alfalfa and almonds which are all water thirsty crops (and most of it gets exported) in the desert makes a lot of sense.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-20-2015, 9:18 AM Reply   
Grant you telling me there is poop in the delta!!! That's it I have a house for sale everyone if you wanna buy it!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-20-2015, 10:19 AM Reply   
Red; I would think that the poo would be one of thoes "things" that delta folk like to throw out there as a "stay away" warning. This way you have the place all to your self
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-20-2015, 10:33 AM Reply   
We'll I should stop swimming with my mouth open at the least.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-20-2015, 12:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
BTW: this issues Tom McClintock is talking about in that video are the same issues for Folsom, Shasta, Orville. Everyone is california should be aware of the feds current "Fish Before People" policy
Not surprising….It goes hand in hand with the illegals before citizens and minorities before majorities polices.

No need for anyone to reply. I’m not trying to derail the thread. This is simply truth based sarcasm…
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-20-2015, 12:53 PM Reply   
Darin: I feel you and I agree. We definitely have a government run by the minority opinion and not the majority wishes.

To put things in perspective. These massive water release that the feds are mandating are quickly plundering our limited water supply. To give you an example how much water the pulse flows are.
Pulse flows are massive releases of water during the spring time. Designed to emulate melting snow runoff.

The entire. County of Tuollomie uses 17,000 acre feet of water . Feds are calling for 174,000 acre feet of water between the months of April and June.

That's seven times the amount of water the entire county uses in one year to be released for FISH in three months
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-20-2015, 1:44 PM Reply   
If they don't release the water there will be salt intrusion and you won't be able to farm in the Delta. Once again why is Big Ag allowed to grow rice, alfalfa, cotton and almonds which are all thirsty crops (that primarily get exported overseas for massive profits) in the San Joaquin Valley which is the friggin desert. That's where 80% of our water is going and farming only contributes 2% to our GDP. Most of it isn't even grown for consumption in the US. I would rather have fish because I could care less if Asia gets our rice and almonds.
Old     (GoneBoatN)      Join Date: Jun 2014       03-20-2015, 11:03 PM Reply   
The sea lions in the Delta attack wakeboarders - stay away!
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-21-2015, 7:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
The sea lions in the Delta attack wakeboarders - stay away!
Yes they do I had one take a bit out of my board while doing a air raley
Old    cheesesteak            03-21-2015, 8:45 AM Reply   
Everything you want/need to know about California water conditions on the CDEC website.

Major reservoir storage condition graph update daily.

Daily reservoir storage information: http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/reservoirs/RES

CDEC main page: http://cdec.water.ca.gov/index.html

Have fun.