Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-09-2014, 7:08 AM Reply   
Narrowing it down....Which one for mostly wake boarding and some surfing?
How much bigger is interior in the '02 VLX?
Is the '04 VLX that much bigger? (Probably cannot afford that new)
I am looking at an '02 SS (not quite a SAN) for about $19K? Is that too much since its not a SAN?What to look for.

Last edited by rexlex01; 02-09-2014 at 7:18 AM.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-09-2014, 7:14 AM Reply   
I have an O2 vlx and I love it. Surf wave takes 1000 in the rear, 500 in the floor 400 in the bow plus the wedge is a must for a great wave and even then the sweet spot is still short but ride able. I think the San is deeper which would have a better wave but is narrow compared to the vlx. The wake on mine is just fine but we're not throwing huge tricks , just casual riders
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-09-2014, 7:26 AM Reply   
Is the '02 SAN wider than the '01?
My '97 Sport barely fits widthwise in my garage.
Oh well, park the next one outside.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-09-2014, 8:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlex01 View Post
Is the '02 SAN wider than the '01?

My '97 Sport barely fits widthwise in my garage.

Oh well, park the next one outside.

The 95-2001 super sports (SAN) had a slightly more narrow interior because the gunnels were thicker.

In 2002 they made the gunnels skinnier and the floor deeper. This applies to all super sports through santes. They are the same boats but they have different options. My ss fits in my 9' wide garage no problem.

19k for an 02 super sport is a deal if it is in good shape and has favorable colors. I paid 18.5k for my 97. But mine came with the factory fct2 tower and perfect pass.

The wake on SANs is very steep and will send you straight up. It can be mellowed with a bit more weight in the rear. I love mine but i am biased. Tige and malibu make great boats and i would definately ride them as much as possible.

SAN surf wake is better for goofy riders because of prop rotation. But still easily rideable on the port side.

Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-09-2014, 8:11 AM Reply   
i had a similar consideration this last year. I decided to rule out tige's b/c the build quality then was subpar from most of the opinions i read. (notice i said THEN all you tige lovers) i also ruled out SANs b/c i'm not a huge fan of the wake it produces add the smaller interior and that made that decision easy. also the wrap around seating on the passenger side looks like an after thought where as the malibu looks like it was meant to be there. So i narrowed it down to 1999 and newer VLX boats with the sv23 wake hull. and mastercraft 205Vs 2000 or newer. thats how i made my decision. i have friends with all 3 of the boats mentioned so i was able to ride each wake before making a decision as well.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-09-2014, 8:12 AM Reply   
oh and 19k for a vdrive isnt too much. anything under 20 is a decent price. I got my 99 SS VLX for 14.5k last fall but that was a pretty good deal
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-09-2014, 8:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlex01 View Post
Is the '04 VLX that much bigger? (Probably cannot afford that new).
You need to get your years right. 2005 is the next hull for the VLX. 2001 got the dash update (important). 2002 got the full wrap around interior (basically the seat behind the driver seat). Isotta wheel started in 2003. 2004 got the pop up ski pylon and the Gorilla fins. There are other differences but those are some of the most notable. Also consider the 2005 - 2008 V-ride as those are also on the SV23 hull as well.

What is your budget?
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-09-2014, 3:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
You need to get your years right. 2005 is the next hull for the VLX. 2001 got the dash update (important). 2002 got the full wrap around interior (basically the seat behind the driver seat). Isotta wheel started in 2003. 2004 got the pop up ski pylon and the Gorilla fins. There are other differences but those are some of the most notable. Also consider the 2005 - 2008 V-ride as those are also on the SV23 hull as well.

What is your budget?
I don't know Malibu boats history very well. Please inform me of the differences of all malibu boats of that era good for my needs. There are so many models and don't know what will fit my budget of $20k-ish
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-09-2014, 4:44 PM Reply   
Is this tower very sturdy? http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...-VLX-102156777
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-10-2014, 1:03 PM Reply   
thats pricey IMO for a 2001 SS VLX ... plus its a diamond hull most likely ... no clue what that tower is could be custom.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-10-2014, 3:16 PM Reply   
The VLX and the SAN are completely different animals in regard to wake shape. Deciding if you like rampy or more vert wake will make it a easy decision. SAN in that era was on my radar until I rode one, the wake is fun but not something I would want to ride all the time and the interior is cramped. Pretty easy to rule out the san if you like a rampy wake and big interior, the vlx is your ticket for that
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-10-2014, 4:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartt3 View Post
thats pricey IMO for a 2001 SS VLX ... plus its a diamond hull most likely ... no clue what that tower is could be custom.
I'm 99% sure that is a Sunsetter and not a Wakesetter. If there was just a slightly better rear picture you can tell for 100% sure, but the rear chine looks like it is going downward in that picture/angle so that would make it a Sunsetter.

Not that there is anything wrong with the SV23 Diamond hull and IMO is a more versatile hull. Price is pretty much in line with what these are going for, especially clean with super low hours. Like it or lump it these are selling for more now than they were a couple years ago, as long as they are in good shape.

No clue on that tower - nothing Malibu ever optioned on any boat. The factory tower option in 2001 was the Titan 1 (2000 was the Skylon Tuna Tower, 2002 they offered the Titan and the Skylon Swoop).
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-10-2014, 7:12 PM Reply   
Yeah, 99% chance that malibu is a sunsetter with the diamond hull. Someone should be slapped for sticking that tower on that boat.

i am going to go against the grain here but I would strongly consider the 22V if it was in good condition. It will be bigger and deeper than either of the other boats. It will ride better in rough water than the other 2. By the posts I have seen on wakeworld and the pics it will also throw just as good of a wakeboard wake as the other two with correct weight. It will demolish both in surf wake. The fit and finish might not be quite as nice on the Tige but how each boat is maintained and cared for would be more important to me. None of these boats had a great internal ballast setup so even though the tige didn't have one stock I don't think it is a huge advantage of the malibu or Nautique. I don't know if I have heard of any problems with the early 2000's Tige's but they did have wood stringers I believe. Maybe some other's have thoughts on how well they pulled off the wood in them.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-10-2014, 8:09 PM Reply   
So after thinking about it I realize there is no such thing as a 2002 Tige 22V. It would have to be a 2002 21V or a 2003 22V unless they happened to have a very, very end of 2002 22v.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-11-2014, 12:53 PM Reply   
When did Tigé stop using that guaranteed to break Metcraft tower? Also, those deep V boats tend to not make a clean wake at slower wakeboard speeds, making them not as good of choices for beginner and intermediate wakeboarders. I believe those wood stringers went into the early 2000's...probably the last wakeboat to still use wood stringers, something that would greatly concern me.

This is all looking past the lower build quality of older Tigé boats.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-11-2014, 1:55 PM Reply   
I think 01 might have been the last year of the metcraft tower but it might have been 02. While I agree with you on the deeper V boats generally have a tough time of cleaning up the wake at slow speeds I am not sure I have heard that on the Tige as much. I know the 22V Tige's have a pretty hard reverse outer chine which probably helps that some, at least the side to side portion. Sanger still uses wood. I would be 100% comfortable owning a sanger myself but that is kind of why I asked about how Tige did with the wood. If done to the same levels as Sanger I wouldn't mind it much.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-14-2014, 6:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter14 View Post
The 95-2001 super sports (SAN) had a slightly more narrow interior because the gunnels were thicker.

In 2002 they made the gunnels skinnier and the floor deeper. This applies to all super sports through santes. They are the same boats but they have different options. My ss fits in my 9' wide garage no problem.

19k for an 02 super sport is a deal if it is in good shape and has favorable colors. I paid 18.5k for my 97. But mine came with the factory fct2 tower and perfect pass.

The wake on SANs is very steep and will send you straight up. It can be mellowed with a bit more weight in the rear. I love mine but i am biased. Tige and malibu make great boats and i would definately ride them as much as possible.

SAN surf wake is better for goofy riders because of prop rotation. But still easily rideable on the port side.

I was referring to exterior dimensions per my reference to the garage in my post.