Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (obriengotwake)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-05-2013, 4:45 PM Reply   
I just purchased my first new boat 2013 Moomba Outback V. I want to protect my interior but don't want to be a D!!!. The only ones exempt from the shoe rule is my parents and grandma. We go out when its cold (I know my feet freeze and I am 30)and plus they raised me so rules don't apply. But I am looking for something to protect the seats when they do step on them. I found these http://seatsaver.com and was wondering if anyone has used them. I was also thinking of cutting a piece of think plastic to place in the seats spot for getting in and out and just stow it away and put the seat back.

For those with pets do you guys just trim the nails and call it good? Any additional tips.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-05-2013, 4:53 PM Reply   
hand them a pair of neo socks, No Shoes means No Shoes.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-05-2013, 5:05 PM Reply   
i agree with suggesting neoprene socks
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-05-2013, 5:15 PM Reply   
Get a few pairs of slippers and keep them on the boat for these guests. We ride in late fall and early spring here in Canada and the family already know to being theirs.
Attached Images

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-05-2013, 5:16 PM Reply   
How often do you parents come on the boat? If it is a few times a year I wouldn't worry about it too much unless your moms is wearing heels and your pops is wearing cowboy or work boots. Just tell them to be careful.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-05-2013, 5:17 PM Reply   
I mention it and then just throw a towel down on the seat on the side that people are entering on. After that, most people, even new to the boat, get the idea.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       12-05-2013, 5:43 PM Reply   
It is a serious problem for me,,,, it urks me anytime somebody even steps on my vinyl even without shoes, I can't stand it,,,that's why I was so insistent on a walkway even with my new boat but it looks like I am s.o.l. on that though. I gotta figure it out cuz I cringe when somebody steps on my vinyl,,, but definately NO shoes ever
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-05-2013, 6:06 PM Reply   
Mike, you know you can replace vinyl right? I am not saying trash it and walk all over the place on purpose but boats are meant to be used not looked at.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       12-05-2013, 6:25 PM Reply   
No shoes PERIOD
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-05-2013, 7:02 PM Reply   
No shoes EVER. It tracks dirt in...once you introduce water you now have dirty wet footprints everywhere.... until you shampoo the carpet to get rid of all the dirt!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-05-2013, 7:09 PM Reply   
No shoes on my boat. If it is cold you can wear socks or usually we have a blanket on the ground with the heat tube in it warming the feet and laps. I might let my mom and grandma in the boat with shoes on, but thank god they don't come on the boat or I might have to actually think about this. All of our friends are long time boaters and totally understand it. Occasionally you get the new boater that gives you a dirty look when you let them know at the dock, but most of our boat friends are trained to tell their friends to take their shoes off. That is the general rule with all our friends and their boats too.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-05-2013, 7:34 PM Reply   
I leave my shoes at the end of the dock and then walk toward the boat. Only a few times have people not got the idea.

I do agree to not worry too much about people stepping on the vinyl. It will rip, but what can you do? I thought about a big chunk of plastic to displace the weight more like was originally suggested, but it hasn't been too big a problem.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       12-05-2013, 8:43 PM Reply   
Yeah, I cringe at the though of something stepping foot into a boat with shoes/sandals on. I usually dial in some wool socks if it's cold, but aside from that i'll 'ruff' it inside the cabin.

The only thing I've seen a select few do is throw down a towel or microfiber where individuals would be taking steps into the boat.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       12-06-2013, 5:32 AM Reply   
I don't think I would make a big deal about it. Throw a towel down and ask them to use it, I am sure they will want to do that for you and everyone will be happier.
Old    Paxdad            12-06-2013, 6:19 AM Reply   
I found it easier to just remove the entire interior from my boat. Not only does it save the interior but I don't have to tell people where stuff is stored as it is in plain view. If they still ask then i throw a shoe at them as I still don't allow shoes to be worn. The biggest gain from a full interior removal (sans side panels as those are needed for speakers etc.) is that small kids like to sit next to the engine manifolds when it is cold out.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-06-2013, 6:33 AM Reply   
ha ha... I like this idea. Sounds much more utilitarian. After all they are wake/surf boats. Not for lounging.
Old     (JCat)      Join Date: Nov 2013       12-06-2013, 2:55 PM Reply   
No shoes, but I have a cheap bathroom rug. I got one of the longer ones. It can fit on the seats, and fits all the way from swim deck over the engine area. It has a rubberized backing that keeps it from slipping, can get a little wet, and rolls up pretty small. Toss it in the wash when its dirty.

Last edited by JCat; 12-06-2013 at 3:00 PM.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       12-06-2013, 4:29 PM Reply   
Nope... Sorry... No Can Do.... Looks like I'm going to have to ask you to leave.......... "No Choes on Da Boat"
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-06-2013, 8:49 PM Reply   
Have you ever seen the greasy bottom of some peoples feet? This is a tough one. I would say avoid stepping on the vinyl at all and you can wear whatever you want. But for sanities sake its better to let it ride when it happens cause you can never win and you'll enjoy yourself more.
Old     (Kwclark)      Join Date: Oct 2013       12-06-2013, 10:50 PM Reply   
I dont see what the big deal is with shoes on a boat. I guess that is the nice thing about owning a 13 year old boat. Footprints and stains clean up. I had some chick on my boat drinking redwine a month ago. She spilled the crap everywhere. Suprising it cleaned up no problem. Marine carpet is pretty resilliant. I worry more about hitting a stump than a few footprints. That will ruin a day not a little dirt you can wipe up.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-07-2013, 5:17 AM Reply   
No shoes period! I don't really care about a little dirt. I actually use the boat and it gets dirty in the process. I do care about people twisting with shoes on and tearing the vinyl, or stepping on the fiberglass. You ever look at the bottom of your shoe? There's always little rocks or grit stuck in the tread.

I just politely tell them that they don't need shoes where we're going. If they can't seem to understand, and I'm sorry but it's usually the girls, I just look at their guys and they take it from there. It's not that much to ask in return for a nice day at the lake.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-07-2013, 9:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesell View Post
No shoes period! I don't really care about a little dirt. I actually use the boat and it gets dirty in the process. I do care about people twisting with shoes on and tearing the vinyl, or stepping on the fiberglass. You ever look at the bottom of your shoe? There's always little rocks or grit stuck in the tread.

I just politely tell them that they don't need shoes where we're going. If they can't seem to understand, and I'm sorry but it's usually the girls, I just look at their guys and they take it from there. It's not that much to ask in return for a nice day at the lake.
^^^ This

I will say that I think it's ridiculous to not let people stand on the vinyl in bare feet though or even socks, I think that is taking it way too far.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-07-2013, 11:07 AM Reply   
I had a mechanic at the dealership last season stand on my observer seat, in socks, putting my bimini on. It caused about a 6 inch rip in my observers seat. I don't let people step on my vinyl: shoes, socks or barefoot….period!!
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-07-2013, 2:10 PM Reply   
Wow, that's awful. Was it a new boat or old? What it really cold? If it's a new boat, was it under warranty?

I have had boats for 10 years both new and old and we walk all over them and I have never had a rip, so I just never thought it was possible to rip the vinyl stepping on it. If that happened to me, I'd probably change my mind too.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-08-2013, 2:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEnNC View Post
It is a serious problem for me,,,, it urks me anytime somebody even steps on my vinyl even without shoes, I can't stand it,,,that's why I was so insistent on a walkway even with my new boat but it looks like I am s.o.l. on that though. I gotta figure it out cuz I cringe when somebody steps on my vinyl,,, but definately NO shoes ever
wow- barefoot shouldn't step on vinyl? i can't imagine being part of a crew that is that uptight.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-08-2013, 4:05 PM Reply   
@LW….New 2013 boat. Was about 70 degrees out. It did rip at a seam. The dealer took care of it, not sure if they warranted it or just ate it. But it takes 4-6 weeks to get a new skin from the factory so we had to use it like that and it bugged me.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-08-2013, 4:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
@LW….New 2013 boat. Was about 70 degrees out. It did rip at a seam. The dealer took care of it, not sure if they warranted it or just ate it. But it takes 4-6 weeks to get a new skin from the factory so we had to use it like that and it bugged me.
its because tige used piss poor design for that observer seat...
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       12-08-2013, 4:53 PM Reply   
I wouldn't have an issue with someone wearing "house shoes"/slippers on the boat, as long as they aren't stepping on the vinyl with them on. Also that said slippers truly aren't wore outside. Most slippers have soles that dont really pick up dirt.

I guess I am one of those that it kinda gets to me when people blatantly walk around on the vinyl. The sun pad is really the only exception, IMO. You don't need to step on the seats to get in/out of the boat or get a board out of the rack. Would you step on the furniture in your house...
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       12-09-2013, 1:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pad1Tai View Post
Nope... Sorry... No Can Do.... Looks like I'm going to have to ask you to leave.......... "No Choes on Da Boat"
She can stay, she just has to remove a few things...
Old     (axxxiswake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       12-09-2013, 6:07 AM Reply   
I've killed a guy for stepping on my boat with shoes before.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-09-2013, 2:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by axxxiswake View Post
I've killed a guy for stepping on my boat with shoes before.
Well, that escalated quickly.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-09-2013, 3:54 PM Reply   
I dont mind as long they are barefoot. I would prefer people dont step on the seats barefoot but it is too hard to control. The sundeck is fair game though for bare feet.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-09-2013, 4:43 PM Reply   
Lolz threads like this make me glad i have a boat from 1997. It really takes away from the fun of being on the lake when you gotta "sit on towels, dont step on the vinyl with your bare feet, dont put your board on the sun pad or the swim platform, no drinks inside the boat, ect"

Although if i had spent 50k+ on a boat i would be anal too.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-09-2013, 5:25 PM Reply   
And wipe it down after each and every use. While I like boating, boating is why i LOVE snowboarding.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       12-09-2013, 8:37 PM Reply   
Easy Ben.... We're not all like that.....
Old    SMDFSRK            12-09-2013, 9:15 PM Reply   
Ha! Boardman, got a rip in your vinyl just from standing on it huh? Funny that exact same thing happened to TWO other current model year Tige's I know of. Both happened to rip on the observers seat at the seam. Nice craftsmanship Tige. At least it looks good. Just dont put any pressure on it. I'm sure they warrantied it. They'll warranty just about anything. They know what they turn out of that place. Turds.

Last edited by SMDFSRK; 12-09-2013 at 9:18 PM.
Old     (Stimulated)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-10-2013, 2:15 AM Reply   
My boat, my rules. No shoes. Socks are OK.
Old    Paxdad            12-10-2013, 3:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
She can stay, she just has to remove a few things...
Just saying.... that if she were ever to move from that spot I would be over there in a jiffy to inspect the seat back for a tear and other possible snapper residual on the vinyl.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-10-2013, 7:19 AM Reply   
You go ahead and inspect the seat back. I will tell her I need to inspect her outfit.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-10-2013, 8:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEnNC View Post
I agree with the a no shoe rule, but Im glad I will most likely never be on your boat.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-10-2013, 4:13 PM Reply   
I let my dogs on my vinyl too.
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       12-10-2013, 4:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxdad View Post
...I would be over there in a jiffy to inspect the seat back for a tear and other possible snapper residual on the vinyl.
i'm sure there's a nice spray tan stain...probably something like a skid mark. lol
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       12-11-2013, 5:05 PM Reply   
Damn Ty, I was just gonna c if u wanted to fly to nc for the weekend man
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-11-2013, 6:54 PM Reply   
You guys buying crappy boats ; ). ? Seriously, normal rubber soled shoes or crocks or flip flops should have less potential to damage your vinyl than the average bare foot. Greater distribution of weight (granted by only a small amount), more cushion, and judging by the average person's foot, rubber soled shoes are less abrasive that most folks feet and certainly their nails. I am more concerned about how clean they are, foot or shoe. Never had vinyl damaged by shoes.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-15-2013, 9:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobenglish View Post
You guys buying crappy boats ; ). ? Seriously, normal rubber soled shoes or crocks or flip flops should have less potential to damage your vinyl than the average bare foot. Greater distribution of weight (granted by only a small amount), more cushion, and judging by the average person's foot, rubber soled shoes are less abrasive that most folks feet and certainly their nails. I am more concerned about how clean they are, foot or shoe. Never had vinyl damaged by shoes.
duUuUuUuUde.... DOOOOOOOD

The Vinyl tearing is NOT the issue here, dude! im talking about drawing a line in the sand dude, across this line YOU DO NOT.... also dude, vinyl tearing is not the preferred nomenclature, dirt tracked into the boat, smashed into the carpet, then tracks everywhere else via wet feet, please.

SOMEBODY PLEASE CATCH THE BIG LEBOWSKI QUOTE!!
there is cursing in this ..... just a heads up.
Old    Paxdad            12-16-2013, 4:00 AM Reply   
With the interior removed from my boat I also worry less about the full figure ladies in high heels!!