Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Bogdog)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-23-2013, 6:23 AM Reply   
Looking for some advice on removing warning Labels on my new boat. I find it kinda surprising that I need to be told not to tow the Kids by the ankles or not to smoke a joint whilst inspecting that heavy gas smell at the back......

Anybody have ideas on the best way to remove them, on my centurion they came off in millions of little pieces, what solvent would you use to get rid of the goo left on the gel coat, upholstery etc?
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       03-23-2013, 6:28 AM Reply   
Heat gun and a plastic scraper. Goo gone or something like that if the glue is still there
Old     (NotSure123)      Join Date: Nov 2012       03-23-2013, 7:42 AM Reply   
This stuff is amazing...seems like I use it weekly. Got it from Advance Auto Parts I believe...
Attached Images

Old     (Kiteflyer)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-23-2013, 2:21 PM Reply   
Get a 3M Stripe off wheel, works great. Will not mess up your gelcoat. I'm currently using one on my old Nautique. Look it up on youtube.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-7498-STRIPE...ripe+off+wheel
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-23-2013, 6:34 PM Reply   
Mine just peeled right off, no residue or anything.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       03-26-2013, 11:45 AM Reply   
Peal them off when they are warm. If there is any adhesive, use a piece of packing tape to 'blot' it, most will stick to the tape and come off. The bit that is left will wipe off with one of the products above or just use WD-40.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-26-2013, 12:00 PM Reply   
If it is a new boat they should just peel off with little or no residue. Definitely easier when it is warm or use a heat gun or hair dryer. If it does leave any residue there are tons of things you can use. I typically use Acetone or Lacquer Thinner on a rag, but all the other things listed above will work too.
Old     (k59)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-06-2013, 9:02 AM Reply   
For a boat that's a couple years old, try this trick that worked for me at some sun-caked-on labels (both on the tower and in the boat).

1. Cut a sheet of paper towel and fold it about the same size as the sticker.
2. Cut a sheet of plastic from a grocery bag or trash bag or similar plastic.
3. Using Goo-Gone gel or other removal agent, saturate the paper towel.
4. Press the paper towel against the sticker (or whatever's left of it.
5. Cover the paper towel with the plastic bag sheet and duct tape around it on all four sides.
6. Wait a couple hours. Within a few hours it should have peeled off by itself or require a simple peel and go from you.

Hope this helps-I had some sun-baked stickers on my tower that weren't coming off to save my life. The above idea came to me and worked like an amazing charm.

Enjoy!
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-06-2013, 5:28 PM Reply   
Leave them on!!! Sometimes you just need to be reminded!! And knowing Is half the battle.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-07-2013, 9:49 AM Reply   
i pulled the sticked off of mine and then wiped the area with some goo gone, seemed to work good
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       04-07-2013, 11:11 AM Reply   
Better leave them on. I think its kinda like taking the tag off your mattress. It's a 50K fine and federal imprisonment if you do.

Watch out... the Feds now have your number....
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-07-2013, 11:19 AM Reply   
others less informed might drive the boat and they are who the warnings are for.
Attached Images