Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-20-2011, 7:10 AM Reply   
I am working to upgrade the stereo and ballast system in my 2003 SAN. Couple of areas I am stumped on:

1.) From the stock keypad how do you wire a jabsco ballast puppy?

2.) Anybody know how to remove the bow backrest? I am redoing the speakers and I cannot figure out how to pull this section of the seating out.

3.) How are people running ballast hose from the belly tank to a intergrated bow sac?

4.) Do I just dremel out the front cooler under the starboard side or any other way of removing?

Thanks for the help!
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-20-2011, 9:50 AM Reply   
I bought my used 2002 SAN in 2007. On 3 and 4, I (my friend) cut out the cooler with a reciprocating saw. Took 1 minute. Probably a good idea to sand/dremmel down the remainder, though I didn't do so and haven't had any problems. For the front bag, you can just connect the overflow from the tank directly to the front bag and it will fill up. I put in a check valve on the overflow from the tank, an out pump at the bottom of the front bag (tied the wires into the empty switch), and an overflow on the front bag. The system works okay, is super easy to set up, and does not break the bank, though it's not perfect.

If you wanna do it right, you may want to also take out the tank and have separate ballast puppy for each bag. This would be the ideal way to have independent control of each bag plus the faster fill/empty times.

I'm considering taking out my center tank as I think the tank is 300 lbs whereas a bag could get you 700+ (according to my friend who has an earlier super sport) as the ski locker is evidently huge. If anyone here knows whether there is space behind the center tank and if I'd pick up extra space if I ditched the center tank, I'd love to know.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-20-2011, 9:55 AM Reply   
Use a hole saw and cut through the cooler.. I'd consider a pump on the front sack as well John. With the short season up here - an extra 5 minutes to pump from the overflow every time you ride for the next few summers adds up - especially early and late in the year when sunlight as at a premium.. cost you an extra $150 or whatever - but spread that $150 over the time you save having it's own pump for 2 -3 seasons and it's a great investment. If you ride 50 days a year, you will save 5-10 minutes every time you fill and spread that over 3 seasons and it will cost you very little per hour for that pump.

No clue on that back bench. Helped a buddy with ballast on a san but never pulled any interior.
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       11-20-2011, 10:53 AM Reply   
I believe there are a couple of nuts on each side of the walkthrough, after they are removed the rest of the cusion should pull out. You may want to check that on PN to make sure, it was explained to me a few months ago and I haven't done it yet.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-20-2011, 11:31 AM Reply   
The bow seat rest is a PIA to take out...one nut under the nose. One nut on each side above the cup holders (they are hard to reach) and two or three screws under the windows (passenger compartment & helm)...once you get those you will need to pull up for it to release. There is a good write up on PN that showed me how.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-20-2011, 2:30 PM Reply   
Actually, IMO, time filling is not really an issue with the overflow. I have 750's in the back and the overflow method fills the locker + front sac in roughly the same time as the back bags. With the aerator pumps, it's all really fast. The problem with the aerators is the ease of use. I have all inflow pumps to the same fill switch and all outflow pumps to the same empty switch...makes it really hard to fine tune. But, with the aerator, probably 5 minutes total for all bags to fill. If you go impeller pumps, it's quite a bit slower (but easier to use) and you'll probably want to have 4 pumps, one for each bag.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-20-2011, 3:41 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies everyone!

The bow cooler sounds pretty easy to remove, I will just get to it.

I found a thread on removing the bow incase anyone else needs help also. - http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/sh...ow+removal+san

As for the extra pump - I know what you are talking about wads, but not in the budget right now. The reason I went away from the aerators because I hated having to close all of the ball valves, plug the vents, etc. Only thing I was considering is running one of the front bags on the aerator system. But that is still up in the air for now.

Just to provide a little more info, I have already pulled the tanks and replaced with 750s. It was a Limited Edition SAN so there was no center ballast. I will be putting a bag in there and then the integrated front.

Anybody have any insight on running the jabsco pumps off the keypad?
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-20-2011, 3:49 PM Reply   
What is the size of the center locker area? What are the specs of your bag there?
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-20-2011, 4:47 PM Reply   
The boat came with a 600# old school fat sac that used the blue water bed fittings. I did that manually with a Tsunami all summer. There is a ton of room in there for a fuller bag.

Not sure on the length but the belly is around 22" wide and 18" deep. I am thinking of trying the rear seat fat sac - http://www.wakeboards.com/Fly-High-P...ttom%20sac.htm seems pretty close.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-21-2011, 9:22 AM Reply   
Definately rip that 300lb tank out of the ski locker. You can get a lot more weight in there. I had a custom sack made for my ski locker. I think it is24"W x 12"D x 78" L. The ski locker goes all the way up to the nose of the boat.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-21-2011, 12:25 PM Reply   
I think my friends have had custom sacs made for the locker. That seems like the way to go to maximize weight and to place the weight in the best spot on the boat (down low in center). I've held off on this for awhile, but think I'm going to finally order a custom sac to have ready for the Spring. Not sure how that is going to affect my overflow system, might have to adjust that too. Oh well, will be worth it. Can someone please verify the specs? Thanks a lot!
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-09-2011, 9:44 AM Reply   
Anyone? Bueller? Size of custom ski locker sac???