Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-19-2011, 10:52 AM Reply   
I just had a very bad experience with a known vinyl cleaner. I am not going to say the name because I accept part of the blame.

ALWAYS make sure you do not leave even the smallest puddle behind on the vinyl. I was using the product on my truck seat, left the bottle on the seat, and some dripped out of the nozzle and melted away the texture of the leather seat. Luckily it was a small spot. By the way, the bottle also has no warning against this type of event.

I am guessing other cleaners where you can control the strength of concentration might have this same problem... so be warned and be careful... lesson learned on my part.

Now I have decide if I am dumping that product or continue to use it with a much more disciplined approach.

-Uj
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-19-2011, 11:11 AM Reply   
Interesting...if you are accepting part of the blame, why wouldn't you post the name of it?
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-19-2011, 11:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
Interesting...if you are accepting part of the blame, why wouldn't you post the name of it?
Cause he's not a jackass drama queen like most of the guys on here?

He's giving everyone a friendly heads up to not make the mistake that he made.. This doesn't have to be TMZ where we find out the owner of the cleaning products social and send threats to his decrepid mother..

A polite "thanks for the heads up man - I'll keep an eye on that" seems sufficient, no?
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-19-2011, 11:37 AM Reply   
Jeff,

Thx for backing me up man. You nailed it.

-Uj
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-19-2011, 11:55 AM Reply   
Is this vinyl cleaner approved for leather use? The reason I ask is because you are comparing leather and vinyl and it might not do that on the vinyl.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-19-2011, 12:17 PM Reply   
...and the reason most manufacturer's suggest soap and water clean up.

I wonder what my ace detailer is using? Last time I gave him some cleaner and wax to use on my boat...free of charge.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-19-2011, 12:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
Is this vinyl cleaner approved for leather use? The reason I ask is because you are comparing leather and vinyl and it might not do that on the vinyl.
legit question..

what's the word on that?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-19-2011, 12:31 PM Reply   
I have found out that its BEST when using Malco or La Totally Awesome to use a bit of clean water and soap to Clean off any of the product from the vinyl. What i have been doing is after using the product it dryes it out and leaves the vinyl some what dry. Products like Vinyl and rubber conditioner stop any chemical burn. It is my opinion that if you just use cleaners and dont use a topical conditioner you could have chemical burns from strong cleaning products. Most of the topical conditioners have a Uv blocker in them so its like sun screan for your vinyl
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-19-2011, 12:33 PM Reply   
The bottle says good for rubber, Leather, Fabric, Carpet, Vinyl, and Plastic.

-Uj
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-19-2011, 1:42 PM Reply   
Good advice G!
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-19-2011, 5:06 PM Reply   
every time i use my boat i go over the vinyl with LAs totally awesome, the back over it with 303 vinyl conditioner