Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       06-16-2011, 10:06 PM Reply   
I know a lot of people are using regular car audio amps in their boats and wondering if anyone has good ideas on waterproofing? A month or two ago I read a good post (not sure what forum) about waterproofing with I think a silicone based spray and they were gonna do a write up, but I can't find it anymore. Ideas or personal trials?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-17-2011, 5:46 AM Reply   
Ryan,
We use a conformal coating spray on some smaller parts. You could disassemble an amplifier and spray both sides of the circuit board. You would need some more of that white silicon conductor that goes between the output transistors and the amplifier heatsink. Its easy to source.
But keep this in mind. No matter what you coat an amplifier with if it gets drenched from a roller over the bow while powered up and passing current its probably going to be toast even if its a true marine amplifier.
Plus, you want to be careful in that excessive coating or protection can inhibit cooling which is also a major priority in marine. Potted products like some battery chargers tend to have issues.
Since we are in a fresh water community we use mostly car audio amplifiers without any issue.
I think the marinized products are absolutely required in a coastal area for protection from the corrosive salt air.
Mostly protection comes from the proper drainage tubes and path for cupholders, keeping a dry bilge before going under cover, amplifier elevation and stand-offs, built-in drainage, amplifier orientation (to not expose the slotted chassis ends) and location.

David
Earmark Comedy Club
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       06-20-2011, 2:18 PM Reply   
Mostly I'm just looking to make them moisture resistant, not necessarily submersible. I store the boat outside and after taking the cover off, I noticed moisture build up on the amps surface from when I had washed the carpets and covered it later in the day. I just worried that it could rust out parts and leave the amps as paper weights if it happens again.

Where could I find that spray and would it be worth the effort?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-20-2011, 4:12 PM Reply   
Ryan,
You can contact odin@earmarkcaraudio.com to find out what Spray-on conformal coating he's using for internal projects.
A spray on rubber coating like Ducky is fine for LEDs but would inhibit heat dissipation.
The silicon grease used between the transistors and heatsink is available at virtuall every electronic supply house.
Honestly that is alot of work and personally I would rather take precautions via other means.

David
Earmark Marine

For in the future, JL Audio amplifiers in a marine version average about 5 percent more than the automotive series, often less. So its not a big premium in their case.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       06-20-2011, 4:39 PM Reply   
If I hadn't already had a few amps laying around, I would've went for the marine versions. It's hard to justify spending a few thousand on something I already have in the closet! Do you think that its something that should be done or just let it be the way it is?

Other than the moisture trouble here and there, I'm not worried about them contacting any actual water or drainage from where they are located.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-20-2011, 6:34 PM Reply   
I wouldn't worry about its I live in the northwest too, have always had plenty of stereo equipment in my boats, and have never used marine amps. I've never once had an issue.