Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-01-2011, 8:20 PM Reply   
We bought an RV a few weeks ago and have finally decided to justify a new truck purchase. My old 93 has seen it's best days. Anyway, I searched the forum and couldn't find any discussion on the 3/4 ton gas comparisions. I'm looking at gas motors only. The reason is because I change all my own oil and don't want to deal with the bulk oil issues for diesels, nor do I want to have to find the additive. I also do not want to deal with the extra $7500 either. I think for my needs, and my loads, gas will be fine. So, today I am looking at the Chevy 2500 with 6.0 and actually test drove it. It has the 6 speed, 3.73 and 4x4. The power was actually kind of odd. I could tell that it had torque management fully engaged. The power came on slow and would rev to 5500. Don't get me wrong. The truck would move, but it didn't really have the seat of the pants feel I was expecting. I wondered how it would tow too. My 5.3 Trailblazer was a sluggish slug before I tuned it (PCMforless) and I believe this truck would be no different. This truck was a WT with a few options and he'd sell it to me for 37.5K (stickered at about 39) plus whatever incentives that he finds are available once their network is repaired.

So, on the way home, we stopped at Ford. We have been there a lot lately looking at all the 1/2 ton trucks but have decided that it could limit us if we decide we want a larger RV. Tonight we looked at an identical, of the Chevy, F250 with 6.2. It seemed larger and had some great storage, but I kind of hate the fuzzy cloth where the Chevy had a nice smooth but textured (make sense) cloth. Anyway, it was identical except it had a shift on the fly transfer case. I honestly am not a Ford fan, but they do seem to have something going on now and several folks on here have talked them up pretty good (Hate N Pain and others). Anyway, I plan to drive it tomorrow and see how it feels compared to the Chevy. Here's the amazing part: It was $37,5K on the sticker. Since I'd like to get close to $30K, this is a plus.

After saying all that, does anyone have any recommendations about what to expect from the Ford 6.2 or if others feel the same about the slower than expected response from the Chevy? What about pricing? (HateNPain )
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-02-2011, 11:39 AM Reply   
I've owned a 6.0 and liked it well enough but contrasting it against the 6.2, well it's not even close. It may not be a fair comparison becaue mine was in an 02 and to be honest I don't know what sort of changes they have made to it since then. I'm sure once you drive it you will see. Stand on it a couple times, from a stand still as well as at 30 and 60 MPH. Play with the transmission options i.e. manula mode as well as deselecting gears and T/H mode. Its a pretty bad ass truck/motor/tranny combo, I'm interested to hear your thoughts. I don't know the tow rating of the Chevy but the Ford with a 3:73 is gonna get you to 12,400 if you are doing a 2WD and 12,000 if you're doing a 4WD C/C. I'm not sure what you mean by fuzzy interior, to me its more canvas like.

Regarding price: I'm not sure what the rebates are in your area but you should be able to get fairly close to that number. Maybe not $7,500 off (Fords not in that much trouble but I'm sure a price that satisfies.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-02-2011, 11:46 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info Hate. I saw a comparision today and it rated the Ford #1 over Chevy and Dodge in 2500 gas competitions. They slammed the 6.0 saying that Chevy was going to have to step it up if they want to compete. The funny thing is that Chevy was #1 last year. I'm going to drive the Ford in an hour or two and I'll give my observations.
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-02-2011, 11:58 AM Reply   
I can chime in here a little as well. I had an '03 Silverado 2500 HD with the 6.0. Mine was a 2WD so the towing capacity wasn't as great as the 4WD, but we never towed anything near 10,000 lbs. anyway. At the time we had an older Malibu DD and the truck towed fine, but not exceptional. I noticed this especially going up long grades. Even in tow-mode, the tranny would hunt and peck for the correct gear, it seemed like it was between gears a lot. The power was ok, but not great and something that surprised me from a 6.0 The interior was good, we never had any problems with it. Also keep in mind that it's a 3/4 ton and is Stiff! Sure it's great when the bed is loaded with a ton of dirt, but when it's empty, it can sometimes be a harsh ride, especially on freeways made of concrete.

The main reason we sold it was because we had the extra cab and not the crew cab and had another child on the way and was impossible to fit 2 car seats in the back.

Today, I drive a Nissan Titan 4x4. It's actually been a good truck and tows a lot better than the Chevy did. The interior isn't all that great and some of the plastic is a bit flimsy, but it has tons of torque and power. I can easily tow my 23' Sanger up long grades at 65-70 mph.

Just my .02
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-02-2011, 12:43 PM Reply   
In case you didn't already read it: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/08...-shootout.html
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-02-2011, 7:57 PM Reply   
I read the shootout earlier today. Thanks for the link though. Also, thanks for your input Timmy.

I think I should sort of preface this. My 5.3 L Trailblazer EXT runs well and tows okay, but the bottom end is not the greatest. It is not a torque motor, but then again it is a 2004 and not a 2010 or eleven or whatever. At any rate, the motor and TB was a true slug thoughout the warranty period. It sucked gas, would barely do 90, had some weird shifts and was sluggish. I took it back several times and they laughed. Let me also say that I believe everyday drivers should be left stock. They run well (should anyway) and they should not need to be tweaked because they SHOULD work together. You know. This gear, that cam, that intake, that exhaust etc. However, it was not until I had the TB tuned by PCMforless that I realized how the vehicle should have run it's entire life. It is actually fairly fun to drive now, especially if only one person is in the vehicle. However, why should I have had to get it tuned? Everything was just like it was from the factory.

My seat of the pants feeling of the 2011 2500HD with the 6.0 is the same I had with my TB. It is a slug with lots of delay in the power delivery and takes a lot of pedal movement to get the power to start to flow. I may have said this earlier, but it actually felt like it slowed down after the initial downshift! Why? What would make the 6.0 run great? A tune. But, why should I have to jeopardize my warranty and spend money making a vehicle run the way it should from the factory? I shouldn't. Sorry to be longwinded, but it bugs me that the 6.0 seems to be the same as my 5.3 almost 7 years later. I really do not see how anyone can say that the 6.0 tows and runs well. Maybe I have a lemon. But two?

Anyway, back to today. I test drove the Ford 6.2 F250. It was awesome. Yes, there was a little delay while the RPM ramped up, but not to the extent of the 6.0. It actually put you back in the seat where the Chevy did not. The tow haul mode was very active too. You let off the gas and the tranny would downshift to help brake you. It was really amazing and almost too active. However, with a load, I could see that it would not seem so dramatic. BTW, the wife was impressed with the power too. Yes, it was that noticable over the 6.0.

At the end of the short test drive, we determined that the unit we were driving was not a 4x4. I quickly looked at the dial on the dash that was the traction control and thought it was the drive selector. (Glasses!!!) I wondered why there was no 4x4 badge on the back of the truck! That was my fault, but that explains the price of $37.5K. Now the Chevy is actually cheaper because the closest truck like the Chevy is $42K. Hey, it was dark when I found the truck and assumed it was 4WD since it was surrounded by others.

So, as I stated earlier, I am trying to get closer to $30K and with the realization of my mistake, I decided to test drive a half ton. I, of course, chose an Ecoboost XLT. It was pretty well equipped for $39K and some change. It was very impressive. I did not even get close to the floor, and you could feel the broad torque curve starting at 2000 RPM. And it was so quiet too. You could not even hear the motor working! The tow haul mode was not nearly as reactive as the program on the F250 though. One thing that I quickly felt was the steering. The electronic assist made slow steering effortless. The new Fords are really nice and I think they have caught up with GM in the ergo department. Also, the rear seat and floor area was huge!

So, we have to decide: What do we need? Do we really need a 3/4 ton? Will a 1/2 ton suffice? It is a tough call. Whatever I buy, I will most likely have for a very long time. Therfore, I do not want to buy more than I need or less than my load requires. Also, what about the turbos and the V6? Will they go the distance? The F250 has a 100K powertrain warranty where the 150 only has a 60K. Decisions, decisions decisions. However, even though I have decisions to make, one decision has been made. The Chevy is 90% out. It is simply too sluggish and unresponsive. I suppose that is why Ford beat it in the shootout Timmy posted.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-02-2011, 8:03 PM Reply   
Hmmm, That's weird. The sticker shows on a 60K mile powertrain warranty on the F-250. I've been looking at too many truck comparisions!
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-02-2011, 8:28 PM Reply   
I own a 05 Savana van 3500 , 6L and 373 rear gear. Hard to believe the 6L has lost its power since 05. Its the same engine they put in the wake boats as an option 400 plus HP. When I moved from Indiana last year I towed my Supra Sunsport full of stuff and two Harleys in the van. It pulled fine even in the mountains and got 10 mpg to boot. If you have never owned a Ford maybe its time. It kinda sounds like you all ready made up your mind and only looked at the Chevy to bash it and build up the Ford. I dont care what you buy the only suggestion I would make is to look at like new used trucks with gas as high as it is you should be able to get a deal. And DONT buy a 1/2 ton you will regret that in the future.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-02-2011, 8:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
If you have never owned a Ford maybe its time. It kinda sounds like you all ready made up your mind and only looked at the Chevy to bash it and build up the Ford. I dont care what you buy the only suggestion I would make is to look at like new used trucks with gas as high as it is you should be able to get a deal. And DONT buy a 1/2 ton you will regret that in the future.
I have never owned a Ford. You are right, maybe it is time. I would not say that I wanted to bash the Chevy. It did itself in and was pretty much sealed today by the strong running Ford. I'll be honest. Yesterday when I drove the Chevy, I was truly dissappointed and surprised. Here is why: I have a driveway full of Chevys. 72 Monte Carlo, 93 Silverado and 04 Trailblazer. (Other cars owned: 55 Chevy, 69 Chevelle, 89 Buick, 89 Olds, 93 Camaro) I would love to own another (Chevy or GM), but I will not purchase a vehicle again that needs a tune from the factory.

At any rate, I understand your observations as I seemed pretty bent against the Chevy. Perhaps I drove a lemon or maybe it needs to be driven more or maybe it has an old flash. IDK However, I do appreciate your suggestion about looking at used and about not downsizing to a 1/2 ton.

Last edited by wakeboardingdad; 06-02-2011 at 8:56 PM.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-03-2011, 4:55 AM Reply   
I worked at a Olds, GMC dealer for years and the last Ford I owned was a 64 Tbird. I guess I'm a little biased . Make sure you check with your mechanic about service and costs I remember the V10 tune up to be 500 plus and to get to any major engine issues the cab has to be removed on some of the Fords.
Good Luck with whatever you pic.
There are a lot of people that swear by their Fords I swear at them.
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-03-2011, 11:43 AM Reply   
Why not look at a new Toyota Tundra??? I know you were comparing Chevy and Fords, but the new Tundras are pretty impressive.

5.7L DOHC 32-Valve i-FORCE V8 with Dual Independent Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i), Horsepower: 381 hp @ 5600 rpm, Torque: 401 lb.-ft. @ 3600 rpm, aluminum block with aluminum heads, Acoustic Control Induction System (ACIS) -- dual stage intake manifold, Compression ratio: 10.2:1, Emissions: ULEV-II

Those numbers are pretty impressive...
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-03-2011, 12:23 PM Reply   
FWIW..... The Ecoboost motor is rated to tow over 10,000lbs. Unless you're looking at a huge pay-load (in the bed) a 3/4 ton doesn't net you much. The F150 will drive better on a daily basis and get far better economy. I'm pretty sure that the eco-boost is going to be my next truck . They're really nice. The F250 does get you more cabin room. AFAIK it's the largest of anything out there. I loved that my F250 sat 6 adults very comfortably. If I were shopping diesels it'd for sure be the F250, but I can't justify the size and harsh ride as a daily vehicle. I got rid of mine early. 70k miles. I usually try to go to 100k for my trucks.

Also.... The 6.2 chevy is a different beast with the 6 speed. My brothers Denali has it and it rips. Great motor, great truck.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-03-2011, 12:29 PM Reply   
LOL, I knew you were looking at a 4x2 based on the price you gave for MSRP If you think it will work for you now and as time goes on I'd do the Eccoboost F150 It will more than tow your boat and hold about 1500#'s in the bed for your loads of bark. The powertrain warranty on the gassers is 5/60k which it looks like you figured out. Regarding the tow haul mode, it does work extrememly well when loaded and descending a hill I would concur that it can feel a bit aggressive at times but once you get used to it you will love it. I have a steep hill going down to my lake and even at slow speeds its just holds the load for you.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-28-2011, 8:39 PM Reply   
I would go with the eco boost. 11,300 lbs of towing and when you are not towing you can get over 20 mpg. 420 ftlb @ 2500 rpm. nothing out there in a gas motor beats that. if you are worried about tongue weight with the camper just get a weight distributing hitch.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-29-2011, 4:37 AM Reply   
Have you tried looking at the 6.2L from Chevy? I just picked up a 2011 Silverado CrewCab 1500 with the 6.2 liter and 6 speed tranny, and love it. I got the max tow package, which includes the 3.73 gears, a beefier rear end, and electronic brake control...rated for towing 10,600 pounds. I can tell you that the 403 hp and 417 lb/ft of torque is pretty fun!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-29-2011, 4:58 AM Reply   
As for price, I got mine for mid $30's...ended up getting about $10,500 off of sticker price. If you look around and haggle with the sales man, you should be able to get a good price on one.

Towing with it is awesome. I tow a SAN 230 with it (about 7500 lbs including all the gear) and it does a fantastic job. You rarely need to put the gas to the floor, basically, only when you're wanting to get from 30 - 70 mph as quickly as possibly, while going up hill.

Plus, you get a 5 year/100k powertrain warranty.