Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tgfrancis)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-16-2010, 1:31 PM Reply   
Ive got a 2006 Mastercraft X2 with factory ballast (550 lbs) and the fly high system (900 lbs in the back, 600 up front) for a total of 2,050 lbs. The wake is pretty good with just the driver in the boat and ballast full but awesome with 6 or more people in it and everything full. I want to add more weight so its always like the boat has a full crew. I am thinking of adding about 950 lbs to put the ballast right around 3,000 lbs. Right now all the ballast is under the seats and we still have plenty of storage and obviously full space inside the boat. I dont want to add any bags on top of the floor and eliminate all that walking space so i think my best bet is POPS Products lead bags. Does anyone out there have similar experiance or a similar setup weighting their X2? How is it and whats your setup? Are the lead bags a pain? Any info or insight you can give me would be great!

I read a similar thread to this about weighting x2's with lead bags but i cant find it now so im looking for more input. Thanks.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-16-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
i have a 2006 x2 with the same setup as you we just sac out the floor and the bow
Old     (tgfrancis)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-16-2010, 1:38 PM Reply   
So you have the fly high under the rear lockers and the bow sac up front (like me)and then instead of adding lead you added additional sacs on the floor and on the front seats?
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-16-2010, 1:58 PM Reply   
Tim, I do just as Dave describes. Fly High kit and I have a 400lb sac that I put in the bow and another in the floor is always good too. That is a cheaper option than the lead but like you said, it does take up floor space and you have to worry about pumping the sacs each time.
Old     (tgfrancis)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-16-2010, 6:46 PM Reply   
Yeah, but bad part about the bags is we would prob have to take them out of the boat everytime cause i dont think it would be good to trailer it with that much extra weight but im not sure so i will check with Mastercraft. Plus, its that much more weight on my truck. Its nothing going from Boatworks to Taylorsville Lake but weekend trips to Dale Hallow will prob see the gas mileage take a hit.

Worth it though for a bigger wake!
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-16-2010, 8:26 PM Reply   
I was thinking about lead last year but the fact that I would have to tow several hundred pounds more to the lake made me hold off. Its not as easy to fill up bags but I took the tradeoff of being able to empty them. The reality is whats 10 minutes filling sacks if the radios on and its a beautiful day out? If I was on a lake or very close to one it would be a no brainer.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-17-2010, 5:02 AM Reply   
Yes that is correct tim
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-17-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
Tim, you will want to empty the sacs each time, but like Rich said does it really matter if you have to fill a couple fat sacs as long as you are on the water? 10 minutes on the lake is doing anything is ok in my book. If you feel like stopping at Lake Cumberland one weekend hit me up.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-17-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
I trailer my 02 xstar with 400lbs of lead in the nose its fine. Its quick to move around as well. Never thought it to be a big deal and its all hidden
Old     (tgfrancis)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-17-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
Sorry, i need to clarify my previous statement; When i said the bad part is with the bags i have to take them out of the boat everytime and that takes time i was talking about the lead bags, not the fat sacs. I do not mind the 10 minutes to fill the fat sacs, thats no big deal. The ONLY issue i have with the fat sacs is they will take up valuable space on the floor. I would prefer to keep all my ballast concealed.

Adam, we didnt make it to Cumberland this past year but def want to this year. Maybe the weekend of the boat races cause i hear its a crazy good time! Are you from Louisville or down by Cumberland?
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-17-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
I am in Somerset. The Poker Run is the place to be if you want to party! If you want to ride that weekend you will want to stay away from the west end of the lake. We usually hang out on the East end. Lots of great places to ride on Cumberland!
Old     (wallnut21)      Join Date: Mar 2009       02-17-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
What speed and rope length do you all run? I've got the same setup and I'm running about 23mph @ 70-75ft. I'm just wondering what everyone else is doing.
Old     (tgfrancis)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-17-2010, 4:39 PM Reply   
I typically ride at 23 mph @ 70 ft also. Sometimes i ride at 23.7 mph @ 75 ft.
Old     (tgfrancis)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-17-2010, 4:40 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tips Adam, i will keep that in mind if we go and ill let you know.